• This topic has 110 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • Prometheus just starting
  • CheesybeanZ

On channel 4 .

toppers3933
    Free Member

Is it any good?

loddrik
    Free Member

Great. Just don’t expect Aliens.

Rorschach
    Free Member

After first watching it I would have said yes.On re-watching definitely not.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BWnTW4rL0U[/video]

chewkw
    Free Member

Ya baby! Time to watch some movies … 😛

Now I can relax after spending 7 hours fermenting my Korean style veg … I shall be able to consume them after 4 to 5 days.

jon1973
    Free Member

Definitely worth a watch.

CheesybeanZ

Its worth a watch .

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Pffft, why watch that when The Lair of the White Worm is on the Horror channel 😉

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Ooh…
    Noomi!

P-Jay
    Free Member

It’s good, not Aliens good, but it’s okay.

chewkw
    Free Member

It’s good film to watch to pass time or if you have a slow night or if you try to wind down the day …

IvanDobski
    Free Member

It’s utter bobbins, watch it and see for yourself. There are so many parts in it which are just the kind of crap you’d expect to see on the mid afternoon slot on the cheesy horror channels.

It irritates me just thinking about it!

mikey74
    Free Member

It’s OK, and probably worth a watch if you have nothing else to do. Certainly no worse that a lot of Hollywood tripe that gets released these days.

It raises some awesome concepts but never really does them justice.

Drac

It’s Ok haters just want to hate it as they wanted Aliens but it’s not about that it’s about their origin.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Lair of the White Worm – mmmm Amanda Donohoe 😉

toppers3933
    Free Member

Lasted about 35 mins and gave up. Wasn’t digging it.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I don’t hate it because I wanted Aliens, I hate it because it’s sixth form style film making at its finest.

From the “we’ve never seen these group dynamics on screen before” engineers Vs scientist tensions in the initial scenes to the “just run to the side!” climax via the “don’t touch the unknown but creepy looking alien space snake things Mr Clever Biologist” stupidity – the entire film is crap cliched scene after crap cliched scene.

piemonster

Hey, I liked the ‘why don’t ya run to the side’ bit. That’s Darwinism at work.

chorlton
    Free Member

Thought it was OK mainly cause I like anything spacey. Watched Interstellar a couple of times over the weekend though which I loved.
    Especially TARS the robot. 🙂

vondally
    Free Member

as with ridley scotts later films

lovely to look at, awful pacing terrible script and predictable set pieces yet have a certain flair, and unable to get the best from the cast

enlightened only by M Fassbenders ‘peter o toole’ impression

fooman

Hey, I liked the ‘why don’t ya run to the side’ bit. That’s Darwinism at work

The film makes a lot more sense if you assume IQs are much lower in the future.

jimjam
    Free Member

vondally – Member

as with ridley scotts later films

lovely to look at, awful pacing terrible script and predictable set pieces yet have a certain flair, and unable to get the best from the cast

enlightened only by M Fassbenders ‘peter o toole’ impression

I agree. It’s a visually stunning mess that’s riddled with plot holes and nonsense.

hora
    Free Member

Quite liked it

colournoise

jimjam – Member
    I agree. It’s a visually stunning mess that’s riddled with plot holes and nonsense.

+1 (+1)

Scott’s lost none of his visual flair, but recently seems to have caught Lucasitis, unable to structure a coherent narrative or recognise decent dialogue.

Having said that, I don’t mind Prometheus at face value. Small mercies, it’s way better than Robin Hood.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Still not seen it.

Kermode mentioned it the other day. Said on a re-watch it’s worse than he remembered.

Don’t think I’m in a hurry to fire it up.

Drac

The not running sideways bit makes a lot more sense when you realise it tips and she’s running to hide in some rocks and guess what it works.

PJM1974
    Free Member

There’s a lot I wanted to like about it, I heard the reviews, put them out of my head and watched it…

…and it’s poo. TBH, the script is utterly awful…I mean properly awful. I could give examples, but I’d be here all night and I’d sound like a colossal geek.

There’s probably not much a Director’s Cut wouldn’t sort, but it would be a brave effort indeed, many of the key scenes would need to be cut completely.

BTW, if anyone knows a woman who could undergo a self induced C-section and then climb thirty meters of wall within ten minutes, you need to send me her contact details.

Drac

It’s a film about space travel and genetically created xenomorphs and you doubt that?

BigDummy
    Free Member

It’s a film about space travel and genetically created xenomorphs and you doubt that?

It’s a different point though. They’ve “science-fictioned” the space travel, and one alien civilisation is as implausible as any other until we’ve found some evidence of someone else in the universe.

But unless you’re going to “science-fiction” a reason why a C-section doesn’t hurt like a bastard and confine you to the sofa with absolutely no hand-to-hand combat or running for a bit, it’s going to look suspiciously like you’ve forgotten she just had a C-section and cracked on to the next set-piece.

Which, in a film littered with things that don’t make a lot of sense even in context, is unfortunate…

🙂

I quite liked it personally, but it’s not on my list of things to see again. Unlike Interstellar, which makes up for its moments of nonsense with Matthew McConnaughey in a vest. 🙂

fd3chris
    Free Member

I will stand with you Drac I think it’s a good film. Good atmosphere and great visuals .

Drac

But unless you’re going to “science-fiction” a reason why a C-section doesn’t hurt like a bastard and confine you to the sofa with absolutely no hand-to-hand combat or running for a bit, it’s going to look suspiciously like you’ve forgotten she just had a C-section and cracked on to the next set-piece.

Ermmmm! I think they did. Unless those automatic machines exist? Regardless it’s still the same, it’s a Sci-fi not a documentary.

hora
    Free Member

It kept me uptill 11.25 on a school night.

Plus you get to see the bloke in IT crowd on it!

Pigface
    Free Member

Second viewing showed up a lot of its faults. Some of the talking scenes have been so badly edited, one scene between Stringer Bell and Run sideways women doesn’t make any sense at all.

I think there must be a director’s cut somewhere but seeing he made Blade Runner worse with his extra bits I don’t hold out much hope.

allthepies
    Free Member

It’s OK. But would they really send a mixture of crew all the way out there only for them all to meet up for the first time when they wake up ? 😆

mikey74
    Free Member

Every sci-fi film there has ever been has plot holes the size of the black hole at the centre of our galaxy and Prometheus is no different.

To criticise a sci-fi film for its plot holes is kind of missing the point and suggests you just don’t like the film, which says more about your taste in films than it does about the quality of the film itself.

It’s certainly a lot better than the three star wars prequels, which isn’t saying a lot, but still….

Oh and on the running sideways thing: they do. My biggest issue about that scene is about whether a crashed ship would have enough structural integrity to do that.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Dreadful film.

I can suspend disbelief in the name of sci-fi. What I can’t deal with is a company spending a trillion dollars on an expedition to the ends of the universe, yet assembling a crew of Johnny No Stars, that do nothing but lurch from one entirely avoidable **** up to the next.

And it’s got Charleze Theron in it. Who can’t act her way out of a wet paper bag, but is semi-naked within 30 seconds of being on screen as usual.

Drac

And it’s got Charleze Theron in it. Who can’t act her way out of a wet paper bag, but is semi-naked within 30 seconds of being on screen as usual.

And that’s a problem why?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Dull looking Afrikaans girl from Benoni. Not my thing.

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

mikey74 – Member
    To criticise a sci-fi film for its plot holes is kind of missing the point and suggests you just don’t like the film, which says more about your taste in films than it does about the quality of the film itself.

It’s certainly a lot better than the three star wars prequels, which isn’t saying a lot, but still….

I totally agree! This is a terrible film and I only like good movies; comparing it to the star wars prequels doesn’t really help your argument.

The very concept of the film is dumb as hell but what really ruined it for me was the ass backwards actions of the crew in every important scene. Someone should introduce the writers to the concept of verisimilitude.

jimjam
    Free Member

mikey74 – Member

Every sci-fi film there has ever been has plot holes the size of the black hole at the centre of our galaxy and Prometheus is no different.

Everything about that statement is bullshit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Prometheus just starting’ is closed to new replies.