Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Prolapsed discs (not brake discs!)
  • dave_rudabar
    Free Member

My top tip for this week;

1)
    Don't get a prolapsed spinal disc, they hurt. Rather a lot!

I could hardly move an inch yesterday, can just about manage sitting up now, but standing or walking is out – despite a good cocktail of codeine/paracetamol/diclofenac.
    Gonna have to start moving around tomorrow or i'll seize up !

It's completely rubbish though, i just wanna be up doing stuff but i'm still getting referred pain in my legs so it's hard to get going.
    Still, at least i've had a chance to sort through all the old bike mags.

woodsman
    Free Member

I feel for you mate! I went through exactly what you are just over a year ago now. It seems like it's never going to end, but you will get better and be riding again before too long. Don't expect too much within six weeks, but hang in there.

The only tip I can give is rest, no amount of stretching is going to help in the acute stage you seem to be in.

Pete

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Yarp. Did something similar about a year ago, only needed 1 day's respite then, although it took about 3 weeks to get back to normal.
    Supposed to be doing a charity run this weekend too 🙁

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    woodsman
    Free Member

Forget that Dave, you'll **** yourself right up – send em something if you're worried about letting them down. Or offer to marshal – that's quite rewarding, I did that last weekend for a 10k Cancer Research run at Brighton.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

😆 – it's the Commando Challenge down at the Royal Marine's training course in Devon, no chance of managing it but am part of a team so may go down to watch.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I had three discs prolapse, after driving a tractor along frozen ruts on a winters morning. I had about three years of chronic pain. No reflexes in my knees or feet. I only knew where my feet were if I could see them. Thought I'd be like that for life. Dark days.

After a brief glimpse of recovery, a friend said I should try cycling again. I bought a new full suspension bike in the spring of 03 and have been biking ever since. I still have odd bad days, but compared to what I thought the long term prognosis was, I'm a happy bunny.

ononeorange

Did mine in 2001. Flipping agony, were out for about 6 months on and off. I remember that when I was pretty much giving up the will to live, they suddenly started to ease a bit. Then I tried biking which made a huge improvement. Haven't stopped since and I have a perfect excuse!

zaskar
    Free Member

Ouch seen people with this including my old dear Mum.

Patience is best and keep moving around as much as you can.

Hoepfully it is just mild.

Whats your age btw as this is popular after 40 when discs lose a bit of fluid and the spine takes a bit longer to adjust.

My pal 28yrs did his by bending over hoovering his car!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Another member of the STW buggered backs club here although its (hopefully) nothing as bad as a prolapsed disk. Currently out of action with "simple" lower back pain. Bent down at work to tie my shoe laces and slightly pulled something but riding back home finished it off big time. After a week it was getting better and I then managed to pull it again- doh back to square one! Now getting better for the second time but I reckon its going to be 2-3 more weeks before I dare get on a bike.

Diclofenac is rubbish Dave- had that before when I broke some ribs but unfortunately the Naproxen I'm on now isn't much better.

mtbfix

Pro-lapsed a disc ten years ago and was out of action for a week. Revisited said injury a few years later and was knackered for a fortnight. On one occasion I missed a whole 30min TV show as it took me so long to get up and down the stairs to go to the loo!

Get well soon. The real pain is not forever but IME your back will never be quite the same again 🙁

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Well today i managed to walk down the hall to the lounge & back! 🙂

Diclofenac i had spare is all used up now so back to regular drugs, but at least I had a nice lunch when the missus came back from work for a bit!

Crell
    Free Member

Go and see a physio! Your GP should refer you for a prolapsed disc as it can be debilitating.

The manipulation helps, but more importantly they'll show you the excercises to strengthen your back. I prolapsed a disc, then repeated it a couple of years later. Once it's done there's a very good chance it will happen again.

I'm now "tuned" to recognise the indicators though and do my excercises right away. It's the stupidest things that trigger it – for me it was 1) picking up a towel off the floor, 2) sneezing (as daft as it sounds).

Do the excercises and it's manageable as a condition, and I rarely get any pain.

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

yetidave
    Free Member

Ice is good in the early stages to reduce the inflamation, but do not try stretching until warmed back up again…! I;ve been recomended to only do things which don't hurt and I will get more and more movement/less and less pain. good luck, feel for you, i was similar about 10 weeks ago, first ride this weekend…

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Go and see a physio! Your GP should refer you for a prolapsed disc as it can be debilitating

Good luck with that. Waiting list to see an NHS physio round here is months.

woodsman
    Free Member

I was told it's more common in younger men, well 30's mainly, as the discs lose their soft middle and harden when you get old-er, and don't prolapse.

I've had back problems on and off since 25, my prolapse proper (although think I've had a mild one for years) was at 43. I feel pretty good now to be honest, aged 44 and a quater! 🙂

badblood
    Free Member

I had one in 2006 – private health care through work sorted it – had a MRI scan which showed 3 discs at the bottom of my spine were 'leaking' and irritaing the sciatic nerve. Physio exercises didn't do much so had an epiduaral which did 2 things:

reduced the inflammation which stopped the nerve being irritated and gave it chance to heal

also act as a painkiller so I could move freely

haven't looked back since!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Prolapsed discs (not brake discs!)’ is closed to new replies.