Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Projectors and screens for home viewing
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Idly musing on the ability to watch TV in bed. Not a huge priority but occasionally on cold nights we’ve fancied it. Problem is there’s nowhere for a telly in our bedroom but we could fit a projector and screen. A quick look on Amazon reveals loads of pretty cheap ones, and I’m guessing they’re not going to be great.

So are they terrible? How much is a decent one? Thing is all the screens are enormous, and we don’t really want a huge screen just sort of 50″ ish. Daylight watching not likely to happen so wouldn’t need high brightness.

Anyone looked into these?

fisha
    Free Member

I had considered a pico projector that projected upwards onto the ceiling which is a flat white surface anyway. I didn’t get much further than that though.. Would be easy to hide behind the head board on our bed. Be interested to see what others say too.

somouk
    Free Member

I looked at it when moving in to the last house and the current house as potential projects for a hidden screen and projector.

Screens are easy.

The projectors for cheap money are typically not bright enough for use in a normal room though. You end up having to spend money on blackout blinds and stuff to make sure it’s a decent view.

We ended up changing part of our built in wardrobe to have a 40 inch TV in it so it’s hidden most of the time. The other option was a TV bed where the TV pops out the end. Cheaper than you would think these days.

maccruiskeen

I think the biggest issue if its for the bedroom is projectors are pretty noisy. In a livingroom family get together to watch a movie you’d probably have the volume up and its less of an issue. But for quieter situations like a bedroom the fan noise is going to be intrusive.

If you’re wanting to watch tv as a wind down before sleep then shutting projectors down is a bit involving too with the fan having to run on, sometimes for quite a while, after switch off.

petrieboy

I’ve got a projector in the living room but as above, much to noisey to have in the bedroom.

For icactional bedtime viewing, I’ve got a telly that pops out of the end of the bed. Appreciate that sounds terribly common but as a practical solution it’s a winner

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Got one in the lounge, unless your bedroom is pretty large i’d say just get a big telly, i’m sure with a bit of imagination you could fit one in. Surely if you have a 50″ flat area to project onto you could put a tv there.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I did spend a while, many years ago, using a floor mounted PJ to watch movies on my bedroom ceiling. Worked OK.

If you really can’t fit in a telly – there are all kinds of clever wall/ceiling mounts that let you swing out/down TVs from various mounting points – then a PJ with a drop down electric screen (usually in front of a window) would work.

Dunno your room dimensions/budget but don’t be limited by 50″ – you may as well get the benefit of a PJ sized image.

Look at http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator.cfm for a calculator to see what size picture you can produce from what distance with which model of PJ.

molgrips
    Free Member

just get a big telly, i’m sure with a bit of imagination you could fit one in

No, we really can’t – the only space opposite the bed is wardrobes, and space is at a premium in there.

The only option would be some kind of fold away TV as said. There’s perhaps room for a piece of furniture (trunk or similar) at the end of the bed, something could may be incorporated into that.

Projector noise is a good point- hadn’t thought of that.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

You could mount a TV either flat on the ceiling (at a slight tilt), if you don’t mind lying on your back looking up, or mount it on a bracket that swings it down in front of the wardrobes when in use and then back up again when not.

You can get lifting mounts that would put a TV into a box/cabinet at the end of the bed and then raise it up electronically although they’re not terribly cost effective IME.

PJs do make a bit of noise but it’s not normally too intrusive, especially in Lo Lamp Mode, unless it’s right by your head. Bear in mind that you’d probably want a separate audio set up as the speakers in PJs aren’t usually up to much.

mattyfez

If practical, is there any where you could put a folding/swivel arm so you could tuck a tv out of the way when not in use?

http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1pslOKFXXXXXDXXXXq6xXFXXXn/2014-NEW-ARRIVE-lowest-export-price-Ultra-long-font-b-arm-b-font-rotating-LCD-font.jpg

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Projectors and screens for home viewing’ is closed to new replies.