Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Project Mancave is done… or at least water tight :) (pic heavy)
  • maxray
    Free Member

A few months ago I was asking for advice on here about cladding whilst I got ready to start building the shed I have wanted for about 5 years.

Tonight I replaced the bottom bracket on my Croix de Fer on a stand, with light, tools at hand and boy it felt good! No more scratching round in the dark with the wrong spanner losing bolts and covering the kitchen table in grease.

It is a bonus that the wifi extends down there too so I am nearly self sufficient once I find room for a beer fridge.

Still need to clad it and finish the internals but I can do that at a leisurely pace now it is water tight.

It has been hugely enjoyable and offered some real challenges as it was a lone build with no assistance.

Main issue will be avoiding filling it with loads of tat!

Raising the walls on your own is a challenge in itself, never mind fitting the roof joists.. I built some muscles to be sure. 🙂

Bike clock

Obligatory wood store 😉

Finally room to fettle!!

matt_outandabout

Oh yes.

anagallis_arvensis

Flat pedals, drop bars, disk brakes… I’m out

maxray
    Free Member

Haha anagallis_arvensis 🙂 It is an acquired taste but the flats work great with the adidas cross trail trainers I got and I can cycle to the train/pub/shops and not click clack around the place in spds 🙂

There is a mtb hanging up on the wall don’t worry 😆

cloudnine
    Free Member

Flat roof?

maxray
    Free Member

Yeah, there is a 2″ fall on it as I needed to keep the thing under 2.5 total height and the bifolds didn’t leave much room for maneuver. I got a rubber membrane for the roof which was a doddle to fit, you order it in a single piece and then bond to your ply with a water based adhesive.

garage-dweller

Love the cog clock!

Drops and flats must be an 80s child?

maxray
    Free Member

Indeed I am and thinking about it I cut my teeth on a Peugeot 10 speed racer on the trails of the Isle of Man, proper off road too. 🙂

My sister got me the cog clock as a shed present, really want to make the interior nicer than a bog standard shed, plus I have the say on the style instead of yielding to my better half.

samunkim
    Free Member

You are going to fit alarm and ground anchors yes ?

timba
    Free Member

Nice build and very satisfying having done it yourself
    As above, I’d be concerned that the contents are on view…decent garden fence and gate, spiky shrubs, blinds on the windows, etc

kayak23

Schweet.

A few months ago I was asking for advice on here about cladding…

So what you doing it with?

bearnecessities

Great work! 🙂

Don’t get slack on finishing it off though…

maxray
    Free Member

I have an anchor and big locks for the bikes, nothing else of worth in there really. Have been debating an alarm but undecided if making it more like a fort implies there is lots of worth in there. I’d almost prefer them to come in and take my shitty chop saw and leave the bifolds intact than cause 100’s of damage getting in!

Having been the victim of shed bike theft before, if they want to get in they will.

I should have a hidden wall and keep everything behind it batman style 🙂

tomaso
    Free Member

Tidy design. I like the simplicity and the feature doors.
    Two questions. How much were materials and what are you going to clad it it?

maxray
    Free Member

I think total materials so far is around £1600. Got the doors on eBay for £400 ( great value for double glazed wood units I thought) so planned it all around them. Haven’t scrimped so it’s all 4×2 and 4x4s with 6×2 joists, 9mm ply outer skin 11mm osb inside. Other than that the rubber roof cost 200 and then misc on dpm sheet and screws etc.

Armoured cable was £90 to run from the fuse box to a consumer unit (£30)

Have clad back and sides in roofing felt as its close to the fences and will clad visible sides and the front with untreated oak feather board when it gets a bit cooler I think.

Got loads of in progress shots, intend to write it all up once I am done.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I need to reseal my large shed roof, wondering if your rubber membrane solution would be a better long term fox than felt. What/where from/how much etc?

maxray
    Free Member

https://www.rubberroofingdirect.co.uk/

Was about £200 inc adhesive and roller.

peter1979
    Free Member

What size is it?

twisty

What size is it?

It’s not the size that matters but what you do with it. 😆

I am slightly curious, double glazing but no wall insulation? I’d be tempted to shove some rockwool semi rigid batts between the joists although I guess it is unlikely to freeze or get condensation given that you have membraned both sides of the wall.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Project Mancave is done… or at least water tight :) (pic heavy)’ is closed to new replies.