• This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by P20.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Programs Installing on Wrong HDD ~ Banging Head Against Wall!!!
  • P20

How do you force a program to install on a certain drive?
    I’ve got a 60gb ssd for the OS and a 1TB raid hdd for everything else. I’ve done REGEDIT changes for default location on both Program Files to the HDD and yet some programs still install on the SSD. This includes ones that where the option to select destination to clearly set to the HDD. 👿 🙁

Any ideas/thoughts?

P20

Just to confuse things…
    In the program list, the shortcut target shows in the hdd path(the one i’d chosen), the start in shows in the ssd path (where it decided to install). It then won’t open until the target is changed to the ssd path.

Cougar

Click “Custom” when you do the install?

I’ve never done it, but Windows 7 (and Vista) supports proper symbolic links (and earlier versions have junctions which are a similar idea). So, you can move a directory and leave a link in its place, a bit like a shortcut only clevererer.

Whether you can move Program Files, however, is a different ask, because Program Files is ‘special’. I expect it might explode.

Cougar
    Cougar

I wonder, idly, if swapping the drive letters over and making D: your boot drive would solve the problem (ie, Windows is on D:\ but anything hard-coded to C:\ will go to the right place).

I used to have this problem a lot with Citrix, where typically your system drive is M:\ or some such. Most things are fine, but every now and again you’d hit something that’d refuse to install due to ‘insufficient space on C:\’. PITA.

P20

Cheers cougar. I’ll have a look at the symbolic thing, but I’ve been warned against registry hack tools. I’ve tried custom on a couple of installs, but can’t remember if I did them all. I’ll have (yet) another go

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Programs Installing on Wrong HDD ~ Banging Head Against Wall!!!’ is closed to new replies.