Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Programmable Digital Room Thermostat question
  • yoshimi

I have a boiler on the top floor of our house, a digital clock in the utility which is programmed to set the heating and water to come on at different times of the day and a simple dial room thermostat attached to the wall in the hallway.

Currently we have the clock set to have the heating on permanently and use the hallway room dial to control the temperature. When we’re in the house we spin the dial to 21deg., when we go to bed we spin it to 18deg., when we wake up we go downstairs and spin it back to 21deg. and when we go out to work we drop it to 16deg. etc etc

If I replace the simple dial thermosta with a programable one wher does it connect? I’ve seen wireless ones that connect to the ‘boiler’ – does this mean it connects to the clock or the boiler directly?

trail_rat
    Free Member

your clock will be hardwired to the boiler

you rewire the transmitter for the remote thermostat where the clock was in the utility.

you control from the remote unit and bin the thermostat in your hall- you will see a huge reduction in your bills if you use it right – what your currently doign will be costing you a fortune.

I would suggest the salus RT500 as a robust bit of kit EXCEPT that you need watercontrol so you will have to look else where im afraid.

Flaperon

Heatmiser also make decent programmable thermostats.

Install the programmable one, set up the clock in the utility to “Always On” and bob’s your uncle.

You might want to replace the clock to a single channel one for neatness but it’s not necessary.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JonM
    Free Member

I’ve just done this. I simply replaced the Thermostat in the hall with the 7-day programable thermostat receiver using the existing wiring. I can now move the wireles thermostat to wherever i want it. I kept the existing time clock so that it would operate the water heating side of things, but set the heating part to constant ON. Works like a charm. Used a Honeywell CM927

trail_rat
    Free Member

i guess you could do that.

combi boiler here so dont have to worry about the water side.

deadslow

I have just replaced my dial thermostat with a Honeywell CM907 wired 7 day programmable one. Previously the wife would feel cold and turn the dial up high. Now the time zone allow you to heat the house up before you get up, drop in the day during the week and have it warm again in the evening. Each day can be different and weekends you can have it on all day. I am sure it will pay for itself very quickly!

yoshimi

JonM/deadslow – did you swap them yourselves? I’ve not taken mine off but I understand there are 2 versions a 2wire and a 3wire

deadslow

Mine was two wire (& earth). 2 mins with multimeter to work out which was the feed from the boiler and which was the return. Ten minute job to take the old one off, ten to fit the new one and ten to programme. Installation Guide
    Straightforward IMO.

crofts2007
    Free Member

Or Danfoss TP5000si.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Danfloss-TP5000-Programmable-Thermostat-Code-087N699500-/181265848315?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item2a344957fb

2 wire so will swap over quite easily if there is no power at the current wall stat, (live, neutral and switched live) and can be temperature only or time plus temperature.

The better version is the Danfoss TP5000si rf.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Danfoss-Randall-TP5000-Si-RF-RX-1-Wireless-Digital-Room-Thermostat-/151171036357?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item23327ef4c5

Got two of these in my house, (2 heating zones) but you may need to hardwire the sender unit wherever the main junction box for the heating is, as this will require a 240v feed plus the two (three) wires that go to your current stat.
    The benefit of this one is that it does not need to be in a fixed position if you make a stand for it, so can go in the living room or bedroom at night, etc.

JonM
    Free Member

Very easy to swap the Honeywell. Loads of guides online.
    The existing stat had live, switched live, neutral and earth.
    All I needed to do was ditch the earth as not needed then wire in the other three wires. Also needed to bridge two terminals in the receiver with a short piece of wire.
    Other configurations are possible with the Honeywell unit and one of the reasons I chose it are that there is loads of help available on the internet.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Programmable Digital Room Thermostat question’ is closed to new replies.