Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Profusion of swimming events vs cycling (or any other sport)
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

There are something like 21 swimming events at the Olympics and yet only 14 cycling, with a number of key track events having been cut (not sure I understand the reasons why they were cut, something to do with making a more equal number of mens and womens events?)

Anyway, what makes swimming so special that it gets so many events versus cycling or any other sport for that matter?

tracknicko
    Free Member

more events per minute. watch the swimming finals. they bash out about 10 in an hour. watch track, 3 or 4 hours in and you get to the semis, only to be told the finals are two days later.

MadPierre

There’s quite a lot of “running” races too….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FuzzyWuzzy

It was a shame the IOC wouldn’t grant additional cycling events to the UCI so the UCI had to cut men’s track stuff in order to get more equality in the programmes. Losing the points race and madison was no big loss IMO but losing the individual pursuit was a big mistake. Although it is hard to see what else the UCI could have done (if they’d left the IP in then they couldn’t have had the omnium and as much as I’d prefer to have the IP over the omnium it wouldn’t have been fair to the endurance track riders who would have had no medal chances without the omnium – although even with that they’re up against it).

jambalaya
    Free Member

geetee, swimming is a much much bigger sport.

If I had one question it would be why the velodrome was built with only 4 or 5,000 seats. The swimming venue has temporary wings to increase it’s capacity for the games. Perhaps the “need” to ensure the air is hot in the velodrome for world records has actually recorded it’s potential capacity.

tracknicko
    Free Member

If I had one question it would be why the velodrome was built with only 4 or 5,000 seats.

they had massive height restriction issues at olympic park. think the actual pool is sunk into the ground to counter this, not sure they could have done same with velodrome.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Look at the number of wrestling events they have, never realised there were so many.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dr Hutch sums it up in the comic

Pick the stroke you’d use if being chased by a crocodile and stick with it

And there are 34 swiming events, not 21. and that’s not including

Triathlon (Ok this could be split between bikes and swimmers)
    Syncronised swimming
    Diving, diving from a bit higher, diving from a bit higher in pairs, etc.

Swimming should be limited to ‘freestyle’ races, and one relay and/or omnium event. And while we’re at it re-write the rules for the walking race and make it an ultra marathon.

footflaps

I’d bin Hammer Throw, Synchronised Swimming and Wrestling to make way for some more proper sports…..

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Swimming is simply better to watch than cycling, easier to understand and followed by more people. Some of the cycling races are daft.

loum
    Free Member

footflaps – Member
    I’d bin Hammer Throw, Synchronised Swimming and Wrestling to make way for some more proper sports…..

You suck at them?

footflaps

You suck at them?

Never tried, but can’t say I’d miss them from the Olympics.

davidjey
    Free Member

can’t say I’d miss them from the Olympics

Meanwhile over on Hammerthrowingtrackworld/Wrestlingtrackworld, they are moaning about mountain biking being an Olympic sport 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

geetee, swimming is a much much bigger sport.

In what sense?

The number is stupid

You get 100 m medley. 100 m medley with a team
    200m medley, 200m medley with a team

Imagine cycling sprint changing to different bikes and then sprinting all of them over different distances and then with a team.

It makes no sense tbh..either go as fast as you can forward or dontWe may as well have Hoy race on a BMX. a 29 er and something that goes backwards

Edric64
    Free Member

Seems a bit unfair that Phelps can win that many medals in relation to say Ben Ainslie whos event takes a whole week

ebygomm
    Free Member

Freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, fly

Track, road, bmx, mtb

tracknicko
    Free Member

surely swimming is unquestionabkly more ‘olympics’ than bobbling round in a boat for a week though?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Junkyard – in terms of the numbers of people belonging to clubs and racing week in week out across the world.

@tracknicko – thanks for the height reply unfortunately that makes sense (I got swimming tickets but couldn’t get anything for velodrome). I think you’ll find sailing is a bigger competitive sport in the UK than biking and it’s been in the games for a long time, it is also under huge pressure as it’s not very TV friendly. They’ve introduced kite surfing for Rio but over the years have lost a number of events as a result of IOC action.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Pretty sure more folk own bikes than swim..I give you China as my first case 😉 You have been quite selective to get that and I am not convinced it is true either?

Can you google fact it for me?

jota180
    Free Member

The jumping is a bit odd too

You’ve got the high jump and the long jump – fair enough
    But then you have the hop, skip and a jump ??

chrismac

I dont see why they reduced the number. The only constraints should be that they have to fit them into the duration of the Olympics. Afterall once you have built the velodrome you might aswell make the most of it

alex222
    Free Member

surely swimming is unquestionabkly more ‘olympics’ than bobbling round in a boat for a week though?

Or football, basketball, beach volley ball and tennis

I think the sailing is pretty good especially when Ben AInsley offered the Dane out for a fight.

smiff
    Free Member

can someone link to the crocodile comic, sounds funny.

“Swimming is simply better to watch than cycling,”

steveoath
    Free Member

Why not combine them?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Swimming is simply better to watch than cycling,

really? i find it mind numbingly boring. it’s just blobs moving up and down a blue rectangle.

i can see a counter argument about cycling coming, but you can’t crash in swimming, you can’t have physical contact in swimming, your kit can’t go wrong in swimming, you can’t slipstream in swimming, you haven’t got everyone aiming for the same track position in swimming, swimming is slower, it’s less dangerous etc etc etc

it really is a dull sport to watch.

(i don’t actually find track cycling all that exciting either, other than a GB final).

njee20
    Free Member

Freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, fly

Track, road, bmx, mtb

Aye, but there’s one road race gold medal, one BMX, one MTB, and admittedly several track.

Within each stroke there are 100, 200, 400, 800, plus relays, plus medleys, plus the odd longer one, so at least 6 medals, with many contested by the same people.

It’s all very well saying Michael Phelps is the greatest Olympian ever because he’s won the most medals, and not detracting from his achievements, but in no other discipline can any one athlete win 8 gold medals!

I think it’s a bit odd I must say.

I also get annoyed with Becky Adlington having repeatedly said “my sport is harder than the others”, I’ve not heard any other athlete say this when justifying why they’ve not won gold, she’s done it twice in (the few) interviews I’ve watched. None of the sports are easy FFS!

crazy-legs

i don’t actually find track cycling all that exciting either, other than a GB final

The track cycling has got less interesting now that it’s one athlete per nation per event. It’s diluted the talent, especially in the sprint disciplines. Basically it’s turned into a procession through to the finals for Bauge and Kenny in Men’s Sprint and Pendleton and Meares in Women’s. Means you can’t have Kenny and Hoy or Pendleton and Varnish racing each other, it’s brought in a fair few riders who frankly aren’t anywhere near that level of competition and are just making up the numbers.

Stupid rule – can you see them bringing that into the swimming or athletics?

convert

The only bit that I’ve struggled with in the number of events in different sports thing is the whole “Phelps is the greatest Olympian” thing all last week because of his medal tally. Blatantly an odd single measurement to use when depending on your sport you could be able to compete for just the one medal every 4 years or 8 as he did last time. And that’s before you add, quality of other competitors, number of games attended, era and longevity of records, manner the races were won, personality, legacy & background story to the mix. Greatest Olympian swimmer – yes; great “athlete” – too many other factors to make that assumption.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Gymnastics all round final limited to 2 per country. The girl who came 4th didn’t qualify for the final even though people 20 places below her did

Trimix
    Free Member

Why not combine these boring swimming / cycling events with the Javlin and Hammer.

Imagine how fast you would swim/cycle if you were a target for the throwing contest. Much more fun, and elimination heats would be real elimination 🙂

What about trampolining ? I didnt see any coverage of that on the TV, did anyone watch it.

convert

I also get annoyed with Becky Adlington having repeatedly said “my sport is harder than the others”, I’ve not heard any other athlete say this when justifying why they’ve not won gold, she’s done it twice in (the few) interviews I’ve watched. None of the sports are easy FFS!

Yep – deminished her a bit in my eyes. Yes, the life of an olympic swimmer is super tough but she is going to make few friends outside swimming saying thing things like that and, you know what, someone doing what she does has to be so insular I very much doubt she is truely aware how hard most of the other folk in different sports have to work & how competative they are to be qualified to make that statement.

tracknicko
    Free Member

you can’t have physical contact in swimming

not with that kind of attitude!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Given that you have the Triathlon with one person doing three events, surely there is a new event here in cycling.

Bradley Wiggins doing the first road bit, Mark Cavendish climbing a hill, Danny Hart going DH, someone else doing an XC leg finishing, bit of BMX with points for style and then ending with a 1500m sprint. Now that I would watch!

Klunk
    Free Member

why are there lots of swimming events ? USA got 16 of it’s 28 golds and 30 out of 60 in total from the pool, that’s why.

mrmo
    Free Member

I do find it surprising with all the money spent building the velodrome why they don’t try and maximise its use? You have a two week window so cram in as much as you can?

Bring in Tandem sprinting.

simondbarnes

Stupid rule – can you see them bringing that into the swimming or athletics?

Well swimming was cut from 3 swimmers per country per event a few years ago to 2 iirc.

ebygomm
    Free Member

On the news this morning I caught something about one of the 100m sprinters only started training in January, there’s been various talk about someone only getting a bike when she was 18, rowers only taking the sport up a few years ago. Swimming and gymnastics (and probably some others) seem to start in childhood.

I wonder if the ‘harder’ she was talking about is about the length of time rather than the training in itself.

mrmo
    Free Member

but you can’t crash in swimming, you can’t have physical contact in swimming, your kit can’t go wrong in swimming, you can’t slipstream in swimming, you haven’t got everyone aiming for the same track position in swimming, swimming is slower, it’s less dangerous etc etc etc

i suspect the 10km open water swim might be a bit more interesting than the pool events. At least there are no lanes, and the weather can affect it.

tracknicko
    Free Member

standard media mis reporting on a few of those.

i beleive the januray thing was in reference to him quitting playing football to concentrate on 100m, which up to that point he had been training for in tandem

Junkyard
    Free Member

the 18 year old runne rplayed football and trained at that rather than sprinting..its like natural talent counts for something

The rower was chosen for physique

Did Rebecca Romero not swap from Rowing to cycling and Gold in both?

Not much technique to pedal very fast reallly is there

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Profusion of swimming events vs cycling (or any other sport)’ is closed to new replies.