Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Professionalism at work
  • bearnecessities

Yesterday, a chap I got on with well from my last assignment emailed me to ask if I could tell him how to stick a button into an excel spreadsheet that would automatically email it to another (finance) department with some fixed text in the subject field and body of email. He was in a full room of stakeholders and they were trying to build this document.

All very serious and a few fact-based emails exchanges and I just said to him to just email the form over and I’d do it for him as it was a slow day for me.

He would have been projecting his laptop with this whole bunch of peeps in the room, as that was his job, so had to be careful what was said, no jokes etc.

A quick google for the correct VBA code later, and started about the task. I put the button in excel and attached the macro; the recipient being his fellow Scouse colleague and BCC myself.

Subject “Hello Sailor”

Email message: “I’m lonely, come give us a cuddle”

Now I know this is the work of a 9 year old, but I couldn’t hold back.

Sent the file.

“All done & attached mate. Can you just check it works, the email address isn’t finance, just me”

Cue me waiting for read receipt to come through on my email. I’m already chuckling away like an idiot in anticipation (I was high on lemsip).

Waited a couple of minutes…

Waiting…

Read receipts arrives.

Then an email arrives. “Hello sailor”.

That’s it, I’m laughing, way too much. Then to compound, his recipient friend for some reason must have opened the document and clicked the button again.

Email from him to all: “Hello sailor”

Then another?!: “Hello sailor”

Then from the original sender another email arrives: “Hello sailor”

By now I was in uncontrollable tears at my desk and after snorting, had to walk away.

Thankfully, it was also well received by workshop.

Seriously though I’m 35, am I too old for this now? Any similar examples of work-based idiocy out there?

Mantastic
    Free Member

Brilliant

tomhoward

Guess you had to be You there?

tthew

I drew a cock and balls on the back of my mate’s hard hat in Smartwater. Shines up a treat from behind with the UV torch. Just have to be a little careful who’s watching.

Tthew, (age 39 1/2)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

trail_rat
    Free Member

Swapping out engineers wireless mice round when they are in meetings never gets old 🙂

sc-xc

Wacky.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’ve read the op twice and I’m still not sure what happened?

bearnecessities

Hmm, ok I agree it probably doesn’t translate well by text, or I don’t possess the skills to make it so.

Guess it’s more to do with the people involved and knowing their sense of humour.

footflaps

I’ve read the op twice and I’m still not sure what happened?

His colleague is a sailor and needed a hug after a tough meeting, but instead he got an Excel macro. Didn’t seem very nice to me.

brakes
    Free Member

how long have you worked on a boat?

bearnecessities

Oh crap… 😳

footflaps

What we need here is a Yunki’s eye bleach picture of men hugging, that would really help the story…

bearnecessities

FFS I might as well do it.

brakes
    Free Member

aw, it’s like a big hairy flower

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh please think of the children and pass the bleach for my eyes 😕

piemonster

That photo didn’t need reporting 😐

peterfile
    Free Member

You IT guys sound so c-c-c-c-crazy!

jekkyl

One of collegaues keeps a desk fan under the desk so he can blow off and the fan whips the whiff away or at other people. Is that the sort of thing you mean?

footflaps

One of collegaues keeps a desk fan under the desk so he can blow off and the fan whips the whiff away or at other people. Is that the sort of thing you mean?

but does he write farting macros?

hounslow
    Free Member

Take the lift at work halfway up and open the door there is a massive cock and balls spray painted on the wall. It has been there for many years but you risk getting stuck in the lift trying to see it as the lift is very, very old and stalls regularly.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Professionalism at work’ is closed to new replies.