Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Professional workstand- best options?
  • tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Looking for a stand for a workshop its a long term purchase and will have high use with plenty of bikes of differing types.

Any mechanics/heavy users make any recommendations.

Thanks

Richard

njee20
    Free Member

Park, PRS-3 plus base. Available in single or double.

bencooper
    Free Member

Kestrel. Mine are 15 years old, and still as good as new. Stunning quality.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

Minoura- better than all but the best parks, and much cheaper

rOcKeTdOg

had a wrench force classic for about 9 years, excellent and heavy!

jota180
    Free Member

Kestrel are about the best out there but cost

I have a Feedback Pro which has lasted a good few years without any signs of wear

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Kestrel look solid but how heavy/easy to move around are they in your experience?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I found my Kestrel stand on ebay. It replaced on old, probably pre first world war ‘Millenium’ cast iron repair stand I got from my grandfather. Brunel may have designed it.

bish

Kestrel, quite heavy if you’re moving them around but easily manageable, solid and stable though.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

The Park PRS-3 is pretty much the industry standard (likely as Madison are the distributor) and they are excellent stands, however in a busy workshop you will find you will need a rebuild kit every few years as they develop a bit of slop after a while. Spares are readily available and aren’t that expensive, but it’s worth keeping in mind. Also it’s worth threadlocking all the bolts before you start using them as they can work loose otherwise…

orangeboy
    Free Member

Kestrel seems to be Boob proof. But not sure of there are still made

gee
    Free Member

Kestrel are still around – I had some bike racks from them last year. They have new owners who said they were sorting through decades of junk to find stuff they could sell! The Kestrel work stand is definitely the only choice for long term and heavy duty. They are ok to move around but are pretty heavy. Not the sort of thing for in and out of a car, be ok in a van.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

All thanks as ever for taking the trouble to reply, very helpful.

I had looked at the Park options- possibly default for many I think.
    The PRS3 needs to be bolted down to the base or to the workshop floor so may not be ideal for the van.

The Feedback range, particularly the pro sport elite, looks promising.<£200 on Rutland cycles site.

Kestrel has a built by the artisans in a shed look to it which suggests it will last but at £450 it is top dollar?

Richard

bencooper
    Free Member

Kestrel aren’t especially light, but that’s ‘cos they’re made out of large box-section steel. I’ve got a couple of the bench-mount ones on Kestrel benches, and they’ll happily hold a bike with me sitting on it 🙂

No experience of Park, but I haven’t found anything that the Kestrels struggle with – 75kg fuel cell bikes, tandems, things with 3″ down tubes, whatever. The most I ever have to do to them is very occasionally grease the clamp threads.

But they are workshop stands, not workstands, if that makes sense – there are portable versions but they’re never going to be light.

andyl
    Free Member

the Feedback Sports ones are lovely and possibly the most stable of the portable ones.

But Park are a safe option and lifetime guarantee I think.

mattbee

Kestrel my be persuaded to leave one by the back door for cash, saves a good £100… ;-P

They are brilliant stands, reckon if my landrover had a seatpost I could fit it to one.

jota180
    Free Member

The Feedback range, particularly the pro sport elite, looks promising.<£200 on Rutland cycles site.

if you order make sure they actually have it, Rutland have had me over twice now with claiming to have stock they don’t

gee
    Free Member

Kestrel really do just last forever. They’d survive a nuke.

shandcycles
    Free Member

Park stand with one of these clamps:

EVT Clamp

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Jota180………You were right about Rutland 😥
    Regards
    Richard

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Professional workstand- best options?’ is closed to new replies.