Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • professional campers…should i upgrade to some better tent pegs??
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

just bought a large 8 man tunnel tent and it has the usual thin wire pegs that in the past have always bent really easily for me. is it common practice if you are a "hardcore" camper to bin these and get a load of better pegs?
    in the past the thin metal ones, one they are the slightest bit bent,will turn round in any srt of wind and chuck the guy ropes off.

snakebite
    Free Member

yeah, Deltas for grass and some big steel 6" nail types, galvanised for those rockier sites

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I've got hollow alluminium pegs with my Wild Country (Terra Nova's 'budget' range) tent. They're super-strong and long-lasting; light, too.

Even standard pegs should last if you're careful about placing them. The biggest cause of damage is pressing them in with your foot. It's hard to tell if you've come up against anything immoveable and the result is that the peg bends. Simply by taking a peg out and finding a different angle of insertion, you'll find that they last much longer.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I've used the 6" nail types pretty much 100% of the time since I got them. They work a CHARM in anything from rocks to grass and they don't even bend if you split rocks with them!, but they are a bit heavy.

snakebite
    Free Member

cant find em on weightweenies.com….

yoda
    Free Member

Lol at Snakebite!

I use nothing but rock pegs for my base camp tent especially in and around Coniston. They're the dddies!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have got some nice billet dural ones I bought a few years ago, titanuim are available for the bling

phildowling
    Free Member

What tent for Afan?….. 😯

lowey

Another vote for Delta's.

allthegear
    Free Member

Afan? One with an inflatable "wedge" inside to make a leval surface for sleeping would be nice – that site behind the café is steep!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

yup, 9" rock pegs is what you need. or make your own. and a gurt big hammer. We got ours from a C&C club site in the lakes where the worryingly scout master like warden told us it was the only way to pitch on there standings (whilst sneering at us in a 'where's your caravan' fashion') and charged us an extortionate amount for them, think we paid £40 for enough to pitch our 8 man tent

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Earthquake Pegs – got to be the answer! I found them years back in The Climbers Shop in Ambleside, they are just fantastic! Not light or compact mind, but you can put a tent up on tarmac with ease (and a big hammer)

🙂

phildowling
    Free Member

allthegear – Member
    Afan? One with an inflatable "wedge" inside to make a leval surface for sleeping would be nice – that site behind the café is steep!

As in what tyre type threads…
    Sarcasm a beginners guide

takisawa2

As mentioned before, THESE are excellent.
    (The plastic ones)

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

+1 for deltas. steel if reqd. one for each corner.

yoda
    Free Member

Here you go!

euanr
    Free Member

I swear by some of these for the fly loops and some of these for guylines. Both unbendable and have kept my tent up in 60-70mph winds. 😀

mickasaki
    Free Member

Go to your local fishing shop and get some Nash bivvy pegs, Very strong and fairly lite. I've spent plenty of nights camped out on the side of big windswept lakes, with these holding an umbrella down for shelter!

molgrips
    Free Member

Fancy tent pegs are expensive tho, our big tents come with like 30 or 40 pegs, replacing those would not be cheap.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

8 man tunnel tent, have you got a lot of friends?

thejesmonddingo

These are good,light and reasonably priced.
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-alloy-tent-7-inch-camping-pegs-p143617
    Ian

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘professional campers…should i upgrade to some better tent pegs??’ is closed to new replies.