Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • problems with superstar flame design rotors.
  • mrbump
    Free Member

ive fitted supperstar flame design 203mm rotors to my hayes stroker ryde brakes and the front one causes the forks to judder like mad when the brakes are applied.as anyone else had a simular experience.

tollah
    Free Member

I bet you fitted them with a rock then jet washed them. Sorry not much help but that’s all you’ll get from Supershite useless customer service!

mrbump
    Free Member

the rotors state “compatible with all brands” but i think the slightly small pads of the rydes are not working with the rotor design.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

mrbump – It’s not just me then. I’ve taken mine off (got a used hayes one on here and it’s now perfect in the same set up).

It appears that the centre of the rotor isnt in the proper centre. I get a mad abs type effect. It’s not warped and I tried everything. Eventually I noticed that the rotor gets nearer and further (vertically) from the caliper as it goes round so there’s more pad contact in some parts than others.

Of course I dont know if yours is the same?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Did you de-grease them before you put them on?

seanodav
    Free Member

I’ve also removed the ones i had on mine, they are awfull! caused exactly the same prob for me with xt brakes.
    I noticed that the contact area on my 203 rotor at the front was way less than the area on the 180 rear

Stevo210
    Free Member

Im thinking of removing mine. If you look closely at the way its sanded (grain of the brushed steel) one semi circle is one way and the other in a different direction. Mine aren’t warped but when the pad makes contact with the different surface it grips and tugs way harder than on the other half of the disc. ABS effect as above.

mrbump
    Free Member

i think the problem is the design of the shape and direction of the rotors. i think the hope saw rotor are used in the opposite dirrection.also there not enough surface area so the pads are being push into the gaps.
    ive now bought a set of elixir r brakes and rotors but my main concern is if the juddering as effect on my forks because i ran them for some time before realizing how bad they were.ive had expensive forks that have devoloped play and become flexy!
    i just think that superstar should do more testing on there products before saying they are compatable with all brakes.i guess thats why there cheap.
    ive got some of there ultra light magi pedals which im happy with except for there poor paint which just flakes off.

harry333
    Free Member

How can a rotor make a fork judder?

thekingofsweden

The fork judders as the disc try’s to pass the pads.
    If the material and design allow too much flex and distortion the disc buckles and bends.
    This in turn binds the disc causing it to stick momentarily which gives the judder
    That’s the simple explantion another one is you get what you pay for 😉

tazzymtb

did you fit new pads as well, or just stuck new rotors in an assumed that the wear pattern would be the same for different rotors?

aren’t superstar rotors the same as gusset, alligator, ashima et al

in which case mine work fine and you are obviously a buffoon

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

Just wondering if anyone would like a pre-brew Hob Nob or would they rather wait for the kettle to boil?

Anyone?

Perhaps some octopr0n for now?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Thanks for bringing this up again. Since my post above I’ve gone a bit sad / anal. I dont like unexplained problems!

I’d taken the disk off and measured it with a vernier calipers in every way possible. Mine is a tiny bit thicker at one point. A tiny bit off centre. I thought I was going mad but I refitted it “back to front”. A round the block test confirmed it still gives you epilepsy. There is something physically / chemically wrong with mine. You can have it for free (includes free marker measurements). So long as you can give a rational explanation. Just drop me an email for a free 180.

montylikesbeer

octopi anyone…………………

el_boufador

Yeah I had similar issues with old (XT / SLX style) Saint calipers on 203mm disk. I’m pretty certain the problem with the set up is that the shimano pads are much narrower than the disk braking surface. This effectively makes the braking area asymetric (one side is always in contact with the pad, the other side of the disk is wavy and is in/out of contact ). This causes the caliper/pad assembly to flex repetitively as the rotor moves over it.
    I think a wider pad would be OK as it would cover the total braking surface, making it symetrically wavy.

Not sure how much sense that makes????

180mm one on the rear is fine though, ’cause it has a narrower braking surface (looks more symetrical to a smaller pad) and less pronounced wavyness.

harry333
    Free Member

I’m so close to buying the superstar flame rotors for my hope mini
    Do they only go weird with Hayes rotors? Or is it hit and miss?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Do they only go weird with Hayes rotors?

I guess you mean Hayes calipers?

If so I dont know – my problem is with a Fromula Oro.

andyl
    Free Member

lets look at this from another perspective…they are light weight brake parts.

If I buy light weight or high performance brake parts for my car I expect them to not work quite the same as the OEM parts. Less performance when cold, increased noise/judder etc

A lightweight disc has more cut outs and less stiffness and going up to 203mm is asking for more trouble. Your brakes must just not get on with the 203mm rotors – either due to the design, pads, alignment or something. They may get on fine with other makes – especially the original manufacturers ones – but these obviously not. The price you pay for perfect performance on OEM ones is the weight and cost.

tbh if I was doing some riding that needed 203mm discs I wouldnt be using lightweight ones. If you do you are going to have to accept there will be a penalty to pay.

“Choose any 2: cheap, light, reliable”

More to the point, have you actually called/emailed SS to ask about it? They may not be aware of an incompatibility with your make of brake. There could also be an issue that your frame or fork is not rated for 203mm and is flexing.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Got a similar situation with 203mm Flame rotor on the front of a Reba SL fork with Juicy3 SL calipers and brand new OEM pads. Waiting til it’s properly bedded in to see if it goes away – if not, I’ll give SSC a shout and/or switch to G3 rotors.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

if its any consolation, i have no probs with my wave-design Superstar rotors in Hone brakes….

and in my experience, superstar customer services have always been pretty good and quick to respond to queries.

And no, I’m not him.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

lets look at this from another perspective…they are light weight brake parts etc.

I agree.

203mm discs I wouldnt be using lightweight ones

Mine are 180: I want to keep them same across bikes.

More to the point, have you actually called/emailed SS to ask about it?

I have. Im waiting for a response.

I guess we’re just highlighting a problem and maybe seeing if there’s a common issue / lesson.

btw – personally I think SS are great!

tazzymtb

Got a similar situation with 203mm Flame rotor on the front of a Reba SL fork with Juicy3 SL calipers and brand new OEM pads.

erm is a reba sl rated for a 203 rotor? I thought 180 was the max

harry333
    Free Member

I contacted SSC and they said the rotors are the same thickness (i had heard they werent)
    And by the sound of it people are only having trouble with the 203 rotors… so im tempted to give the 160 flame ones a go…

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

RockShox’s website lists 210mm as maximum rotor size for the Reba, so I thought it should have been ok.

legend
    Free Member

out of interest, is this happening at low speed, high speed or all speeds?

My front Juicy 7 has shuddered a bit at low speed since I first got it in ’07 (using an Avid 203mm disc), never been a problem at normal riding speeds though

neninja
    Free Member

This is a common problem with budget poorly designed motorcycle wave rotors too.

If the disc rotor is design for aesthetics instead of braking performance then what do you expect. If you have a design where it goes wide then narrow alternately it will often cause pulsing from the brakes which in turn can cause vibration, judder etc.

seanodav
    Free Member

Was at low speed i noticed it happen on mine

stgeorge

I fitted 160s on mine and have no problems, but did notice that when fitting they can be fitted slightly off centre.

What I mean is, when you have 6 bolts through the rotor and not quite tight, you can move the rotor a couple of ml each way from centre.

I just ensured they were as centred as possible on the hub.

This could cause a vibration if rotor not centred, and will be a lot worse the bigger the rotor.

(Shimano Calipers)

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘problems with superstar flame design rotors.’ is closed to new replies.