Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Problems with Helitape on On-One carbon frames (Northwind was it you?)
  • composite
    Free Member

So I’m 95% through building up my Lurcher and was going to start taping it up soon but I had some recollection of someone having problems with helitape screwing the finish of the On-One carbon frames. 😐

Thought it might have been Northwind that had problems?

Or am I misremembering something else and getting my wires crossed?

wwaswas

I think the issue is that if you remove the helitape the laquer comes off with it leaving a poor finish.

If you put it on and leave it there it’s ok.

mangatank
    Free Member

Unless there’s a chemical reaction issue, you should be able to safely remove it using a hair dryer to heat the glue first.

pickle
    Free Member

I’ve had Helitape on my C456 for over a year now and it’s not damaged the frame finish at all. I have no experience with damage on removal though as i’ve not touched it since fitting.

MS
    Free Member

I have a couple of bits where the laquer has come off on removal of helitape. I didn’t heat up prior to removal so that may work.

headtube has generally been ok when removing, the bits on mine that is worst is the chainstays.

Northwind

Yup, it was me… The response I got was that the carbon frames are incompatible with helicopter tape, the finish lacks resistance to the adhesive and that it’ll damage it. (hairdryer makes no difference incidentally)

I think in practice, it’s only an issue when you remove it- the adhesive seems to weaken the finish, then it comes off. It’s not structural- skin deep only- so like wwaswas says if you leave the tape on, it’ll probably be fine.

(have to say, I don’t necessarily believe anything they say, they’re a bit short on credibility with me after their blatant fibs regarding this… But like the murphys…)

composite
    Free Member

OK thanks all.

mangatank
    Free Member

(hairdryer makes no difference incidentally

Wow really? That’s pretty amazing.

Northwind

Well, for clarity, it makes the tape come off much easier, so it does make a difference- it just still takes the finish off too. So no difference in the result, is what I should have said.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Problems with Helitape on On-One carbon frames (Northwind was it you?)’ is closed to new replies.