Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Problems with cramp
  • monkeyninja
    Free Member

Just back from a 2 hr ride and was starting to get cramp in thighs (front/back) and calves towards the very end of the ride. On my last all day ride both thighs went into full blown cramp at the same time and had to end up hobbling back to the van, stopping every 5 mins with the pain. This has been happening a lot recently during longer rides, I try and drink a lot of water during the rides with zero tabs but it doesn’t seem to help.
    I work as a baker and am on my feet all day and would say I’m pretty active, however, I’m not the most flexible person… Would stretching on a daily basis help? Any help would be much appreciated cause the pain is excruciating when both legs go!

crikey
    Free Member

Before everyone turns up and suggests weird combinations of electrolytes, have a look at the latest theories regarding cramp. Basically, you’re asking too much of your muscles, and the answer is more and/or better training, not drinking more salts.

Muscle Cramps: Part I

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hardly the latest theory, been widlyknown amongst athletes for years that one.

How ever under certain circumstances increasing electrolytes can help for trained athletes to maximise performance.

No number of electrolytes are going to perform magic and make you fit. Baker fit is not bike fit , as much as run fit is not bike fit…..

crikey
    Free Member

How ever under certain circumstances increasing electrolytes can help for trained athletes to maximise performance.

Can you expand on this?

monkeyninja
    Free Member

That’s sounds about right had a lot of time off the bike this summer and then just been riding as normal…. Need to start training.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ensuring they are properly hydrated is all.

Ensuring untrained wannabe athletes are propperly hydrated( and from what i read on here and see at trail centers – overhydrated) will not make them nick craig.

crikey
    Free Member

This;

Is not the same as this;

Ensuring they are properly hydrated is all

Would you explain what you mean?

trail_rat
    Free Member

The individual athlete and their coach knows when they need to watch what they take in but ill put forward – hot sunny days. Electolytes over pure water . Electolytes doesnt have to mean some special powder from sports food people.

crikey
    Free Member

The individual athlete and their coach knows when they need to watch what they take in but ill put forward – hot sunny days. Electolytes over pure water . Electolytes doesnt have to mean some special powder from sports food people.

I think you’d benefit from reading the above link and following it through.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Unless i read it wrong it says sweating alone cannot lead to electrolyte reduction as the sweat doesnt contain alot of electrolyte – but contains some.

Then you take n some fresh water

Voila – electolyte dilution

Not sure i benifited from that really.so ill wait to hear your interpretation of someones study.

Seen the one about competing in the heat just being a mind game ?

ahwiles
    Free Member

monkeyninja – Member
    Would stretching on a daily basis help?

no.

and drink when you feel thirsty.

are you making sure you’re warm enough?

crikey
    Free Member

Unless i read it wrong it says sweating alone cannot lead to electrolyte reduction as the sweat doesnt contain alot of electrolyte – but contains some.

Then you take n some fresh water

Voila – electolyte dilution

Wrong.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ok since you are obviously much better placed to explain it go n educate me , maybe itll turn me into nick craig.

crikey
    Free Member

I can’t read it to you.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Smooth.

I read parts 1 to 5 even the conclusion at the end of 5 reads very similar to what i wrote above – except they didnt add any new fluids in – because it wouldnt have fitted their already decided.

I guess you think everyone should ride with just water ?

TheSanityAssassin

Whilst these two argue amongst themselves, get yourself online and order some Nuun tablets. Use these in your water instead of the Zero stuff and wave goodbye to cramp. It really is that simple, these things are a bloody miracle cure as far as I’m (and many others) are concerned.

crikey
    Free Member

You seem to want to argue rather than understand.
    Enjoy.

monkeyninja
    Free Member

Aye always wrapped up never feel cold… I think I need to get a lot more miles in on my bike, I’m definitely not bike fit at the moment but I tend to ride like I am. I’m gonna take the training serious over the winter and get ready for Scottish enduro series next year.

Sandwich

My most recent cramp experiences were down to not enough fuel, wet and a 2100m col that took an hour or two to climb. I knew I was empty as the stomach noise was quite loud! Eating some sugary food made it all go away, except the cold. A couple of biscuits was all it took, water bottle was nearly empty by the top.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Problems with cramp’ is closed to new replies.