Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Problems that the Japan earthquake will cause us all
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Rising suns, down.

tazzymtb

the dolphins may get a year off from the annual slaughter 😐

bassspine
    Free Member
    CharlieMungus
    Free Member

dolphins may get a year off from the annual slaughter

Not acceptable

scaredypants

….a whale boom.
    Relevant.

another one

(sorry for any apparent insensitivity 😐 )

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member

Ah, the STW self righteous bullies out in force again for some misguided wording.

Yup.

I’m often the first to have a pop at project but on this occasion, I feel the level of criticism he has received is somewhat unwarranted. Yes, maybe he could have worded his OP differently, but it doesn’t mean that he has a callous disregard for the plight of the Japanese people. And he has had at the least the guts to respond to his critics with a lengthy explanation clarifying his views on the subject…….not too little too late imo.

noteeth
    Free Member
    TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

holy **** cow noteeth! Christ!!

iDave
    Free Member

best mate lives in Tokyo, said the after shocks are shitting people and they’re expecting a big one. he has a bag packed by the front door and might head for hong kong for a few weeks.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’m often the first to have a pop at project but on this occasion, I feel the level of criticism he has received is somewhat unwarranted.

I disagree, OP was clear in his first post and the thread title.

He suggests that the disaster in Japan will create problems for us all, then lists them

1)Well to start a lot of factory production has been lost, due to factories being destroyed, power loss on a major scale, and also loss of a lot of port facilites along with roads and railways.

2) Then we have the pollution from the burning refineries, and the pollution from the atomic power stations, stand by for the uk farmers to suddenly decide their sheep are radioactive and they need compensation.

3) Then all the uk companies will use the shortage of parts and stock to increase prices quite dramaticaly, probably on bike gear.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

He suggests that the disaster in Japan will create problems for us all

Well that’s because it will (although probably not in the way he suggests) and what’s wrong with pointing that out ?

It doesn’t automatically follow that he is therefore indifferent to the plight of the Japanese.

Yeah sure, he could have given a big long preamble about how the tragedy, and the human cost incurred, had touched his heart – but he didn’t.

Doesn’t everyone occasionally think that they could perhaps have worded things differently ?

He’s come back to clarify his position – that should be enough.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

He’s come back to clarify his position – that should be enough.

there was no need. It was clear from the first post.

Nothing wrong with pointing out there will be problems for us all. However, some of the things he points out aren’t really problems, you know, in the wider context. And to identify them as a problem which affects us, is to focus on the trivial.

TheFlyingOx

The moon is nearer the earth than it has been for hundreds of years. Scientists predicted (guessed)that there could be devastating effects. There are also violent eruptions in Hawaiian volcanoes!!

[implied_facepalm.jpg]

The moon won’t come as close as it did in January 1992. You remember, don’t you? Yes, that January 1992. The month that was so rife with natural disasters that it’s a topic that dominates many conversations even today.

alexathome
    Free Member

To be fair to the OP, it is partially a matter of timing that make his thread appear calious. It is just thou, asking the question, how will this effect us. If our reply is: this has caused me untold emotional upset and I weep for the loss of life etc etc, I must sell my belongings and fly off to Japan to help with the relief effort, then fair enough.

I feel for the people of Japan, it’s tough. I live in NZ and know many people that have family and friends that have been lost in the last couple of weeks. We do what we can with fundrasing etc, but we are pretty detached from the actual devistation. I here talk of ‘rents increasing’, ‘taxes increasing to pay for Christchurh’. etc.

If you are not in the epicentre of the disaster you will obviously look at how it ‘may’ effect you. As anything else will probably be an empty jesture.

Yes, these things effect everyone, but in different ways. Sure the OP may look calious. But as with comedy timing is………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………everything.

konabunny
    Free Member

I would have much preferred it if the OP had posted a long sanctimonious thread about how his heart bleeds for the Japanese and his thoughts and prayers are with the victims’ families and how this isn’t the time for politics and the scale of the tragedy is incomprehensible and blah blah blah…

FAIL
    Free Member

My head office and main factorys are in iwaki city, which was hit hard by the quake and the tsunami. It was mid afternoon when it hit, and our sites are up in the hills away from city so did not get any tsunami damage. The people i really fear for are my colleagues families – most of the housing and schools is only a coupke of metres above sea level on the narrow coastal plain.
    So far i’ve managed to get hold of 1 guy on the phone, and two guys through facebook (mobile data seems to have been restored quite quickly there.)
    Just to make things even worse the Fukushima reactors are less than 50 miles away up the coast….

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

I’m only surprised that there’s been no mention of Godzilla yet.

yunki
    Free Member

Ah, the STW self righteous bullies out in force again for some misguided wording.

FFS, I’m sure everyone is well aware there has been massive loss of life and likewise feel for everyone affected in Japan.

The OP asked a question, can’t someone just give a civil answer on here for once? Maybe it wasn’t the most tactful post ever typed on STW, but I seriously wonder how some of you actually get through life with such fragile sensitivities.

+1 000 000

Edukator
    Free Member

Just turn on CNBC, N-TV or the like. The answer in my case is a couple of grand since the quake. Not that I’m feeling even a little sorry for myself.

Geology is one of those sciences where correlation coefficients are best treated with caution. Observation and thinking things through usually serve you better. On that basis the jury is still out on whether increased tidal forces serve as earthquake triggers. All that anyone who gives a 100% certain yes or no answer is proving is that he/she is a lousy geologist.

Edukator
    Free Member

I thought I’d have a look at 92 and found that the biggest quake of 91, a 7.6 magnitude quake in the Kuril Islands, occured on the perigee of 22/12/91, the orbit before the 19/1/92 perigee the flying Ox refers to. If you think it through, if quakes can be triggerred by tidal forces then you need to look at periods in which the forces are increasing with each successive orbit rather than decreasing. A blanket application of statisitics will show nothing but intelligent viewing of the data might. I have some DIY to do but anyone wants to play:

Earthquake data

Perigee data

Junkyard
    Free Member

It doesn’t automatically follow that he is therefore indifferent to the plight of the Japanese.

His failure to mention it in the post does suggest his main concern is with the financial implications to us rather than the human consequences to the peole there. if you want to infer that a failure to mention something suggests he cares then who am I to argue.

the STW self righteous bullies out in force again for some misguided wording

Misguided wording? There is no mention of the human plight so it is an ommission not a misguided use.

The OP asked a question

Where? seriouslt quote the question to me

I seriously wonder how some of you actually get through life with such fragile sensitivities.

It is only by the warm support from stronger people like you calling me names that gets me through the day … without you I would be crying now.
    Yours fragile sensitive self righteous bully

yunki
    Free Member

I love monday mornings and the frothing at the mouth that they cause..

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Incredible footage that. Truly horrific but at the same time awesome. The final loss of life is going to be very large. I’m very thankful that our local geology seems much more stable.

Also, who noticed the Shimano sign near the beginning?

hora
    Free Member

Problems that the Japan earthquake will cause us all

How many sites of historic interest have been damaged or destroyed?

On a personal level I still can’t take it in. It is awful. Too awful to comprehend. I still remember the news and what happened around the Kyoto earthquake. The final death toll for the 2011 is going to be in the tens of thousands 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

A blanket application of statisitics will show nothing but intelligent viewing of the data might.

Or you could listen to people who spend their whole careers studying this, not just googling for a few mins.

Edukator
    Free Member

So what do people who spend their whole careers studying this know that I don’t? If they’ve spent their whole careers studying it they’ll understand the philosophy of doubt and say something to the effect of they can’t prove a link and they don’t believe there is one. They won’t say there isn’t one. If they, like I, think that there could be a link they’ll say soemthing to the effect offf there could be a link but they can’t prove it.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Also, who noticed the Shimano sign near the beginning?

OP probably did

El-bent
    Free Member

FFS, I’m sure everyone is well aware there has been massive loss of life and likewise feel for everyone affected in Japan.

The OP asked a question, can’t someone just give a civil answer on here for once? Maybe it wasn’t the most tactful post ever typed on STW, but I seriously wonder how some of you actually get through life with such fragile sensitivities.

This is what happens when you become too immersed in capitalism, you can only think of all that production being lost, how it affects the economy and yourselves because an important “resource” who we shall call Humans are having some local difficulty.

I’d say shame on you, but you probably don’t have that particular skill set.

TheFlyingOx

Edukator: A quick quarter of an hour on Excel and the USGS site shows that there are earthquakes happen right at the moon’s perigee and apogee, and earthquakes that happen spread throughout. Here’s a quick screencap for 1991:

Solid line is distance of Moon from Earth, dots are earthquakes.

EDIT: Yes I’m bored. Why do you ask? 😆

Edukator
    Free Member

Very pretty! Can you make the size of the red dots correspond to the magnitude of the earthquake please. 😉

You’re bored and inquisitive, that’s how good science gets done. Bad science gets done when scientists’ paymasters have an agenda.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i can’t to decide whether to shake my head at you or applaud
    Colour code them for magnitude will be easier IMHO

Kit
    Free Member

The OP hasn’t got a look-in compared to the insensitivity of these bastards:

NZ quake: China wants higher payments as Inquiry opens

iDave
    Free Member

using the term problem is a bit naive. some aspects of life will be different but does that equal a problem? IMO the OP makes a rather simplistic assertion that the ease with which we find life is related to big events far away. surely life is an ongoing conglomeration of large and small events which we have to deal with and the smaller ones closer to home are more likely to have a greater impact on our daily experiences? If oil or XTR prices double, it is what it is and that reality will be absorbed into life like any other.

project
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Yup.

I’m often the first to have a pop at project but on this occasion, I feel the level of criticism he has received is somewhat unwarranted. Yes, maybe he could have worded his OP differently, but it doesn’t mean that he has a callous disregard for the plight of the Japanese people. And he has had at the least the guts to respond to his critics with a lengthy explanation clarifying his views on the subject…….not too little too late imo.

Posted 13 hours ago # Report-Post

Thank you Ernie and the others, who offered suport.

project
    Free Member

Oh and it want be the japanese that are putting the prices up, due to the terrible things that are happening but the huige globakl comapnies and the wholesalers in the uk , who need to keep their profits up.

iDave
    Free Member

the Japanese will probably have to put their prices up as the cost of production is likely to be higher

TheFlyingOx

Can you make the size of the red dots correspond to the magnitude of the earthquake please.

Colour code them for magnitude will be easier IMHO

Some people are never happy, eh? 🙄

I might have a pop at it when I can’t sleep tonight. My curiosity has been piqued.

CountZero

pictures like this sum it up for me, not spurious chatter about what it’s likely to mean to us.

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Problems that the Japan earthquake will cause us all’ is closed to new replies.