Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • problems setting up dual air pikes
  • robhughes
    Free Member

hi gang
    this is driving me mad trying to set up new pikes
    426 dual air
    1.have set up +ve air pressure to aprox 10% sag.(110 psi)
    2.mauual states set up -ve air pressure same as +ve
    3. if i do this it pulls down the travel to about 125mm.
    so how the fluck do you set them up.
    also is this right.the more -ve air pressure you put in,the more the forks soak up small hits.
    i know these forks can de a pain in the arse to setup from reading on here.cheers all

sharki
    Free Member

IMHO you should be looking at running more sag than that, at least 20% if not more.

The neg air will pull the travel down down quickly once you go over the pos pressure, if you’ve not a quality pump then the gauge may not be accurate enough(which it the problem i get).

You only need 5-10psi more in the neg to improve small sensitivity.

james
    Free Member

IME equal pressures work best. More negative drags the travel down (and makes them much more prone to diving under braking and so on)

leeson
    Free Member

My first thoughts are, 125mm is very close to the max travel ?

Are you hitting stuff hard enough? ( just pootling around to test them)

prob not.

Try a lower pressure.

ie try 105 psi …………100 psi….

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I’d go for a slightly lower in the -ve than in the +ve, and I’d also aim for 20-25% sag for XC.

Make sure both chambers are empty. Set the sag using +ve first, then the -ve.

The actual numbers don’t matter. The proof of the pudding is in the eating…

robhughes
    Free Member

back in a min go and set to 25% and try again

robhughes
    Free Member

right back again 100 psi gives me 28mm sag 20%
    the most i can put in the -ve is 60 psi befor it starts to drag the travel down.
    is this ok gang..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Someting going wrong there….

60 versus 100psi should not drag the forks down at all.

Let ALL the -ve air out and start again

robhughes
    Free Member

poddy. done that but the closer i get to equalizing them the more the travel reduces(same-125mm)
    140mm pikes

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Have they definitely got no ‘all travel’ spacers in? These can reduce the travel of Dual Air Pikes to 130mm etc..

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Air must be leaking between pos and neg chambers

robhughes
    Free Member

HoratioHufnagel .no there the full 140 pikes.
    jamesgarbett cant see there being a leak or the +ve pressure would fluctuate and it doesn,t

robhughes
    Free Member

got me thinking it night be the pump is not acurate but it,s new and seems to be.be good if you could get a digital one.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

had a similar problem setting up mu 454 dual airs first of all forget the figures on the fork you need to do it while on a ride , secondly when your putting your pump on dont screw it all the way just enough to get it to read pressure on the pump and half turn more. Check the pressure then unscrew the pump, rescrew the pump back on and check the pressure again you’ll probably find a 10-20 psi loss, do this a few times to get an average of the pressure loss on both + and – chambers. Then pump up the positive to start go for the max for your weight on the fork leg than maybe 10psi more on the -ve chamber i reckon you want about 10-20% travel loss while not sitting on the bike . Then am afraid you just need to go for a proper ride and get it set up right for you alter the +ve chamber first then -ve making sure to take into account the loss when unscrewing the pump. Simples 😀

robhughes
    Free Member

stoney.yes i know about the pressure loss and have sussed that one out already.
    so you do get 10-20%travel loss when set up.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

and turn the bike upside down to do the negative chamber

robhughes
    Free Member

chunky .got that one sussed aswell.
    iv,e had dual air revs before so i know all the little tips.
    it,s just these pikes are getting on my nerves,but such is life.
    there,s all ways a price to pay when you want things perfect.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Well sitting on the bike you probably want about 30% travel loss altogether but everybody has their preferences,so when the front of the bike is lifted up the wheel stays in contact with the ground , suspension is there to improve traction not as some people i have spoke to make the ride more comfy , thats just a bi product.

robhughes
    Free Member

stoney so now you mean 30%sag
    (Well sitting on the bike you probably want about 30% travel loss altogether )thats a bit much for the old sturdy pike.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

like i said everybody has their preferences go for 10% if you want 20% is the industry standard

robhughes
    Free Member

stoney .i think your loosing the jist of this post.it,s not about sag.it,s about trying to balance tha +ve and -ve chambers

sharki
    Free Member

rob, may i suggest you trying another pump, ok so yours is new, but by trying another at least you can single out that.

from tftuned –

When you remove the pump after setting to your desired pressure, the air from the pump escapes (not the air from your fork). Similarly, when you re-engage the pump, pressure from the fork goes into the pump, thus reducing the pressure in your fork. (There’s a greater drop in pressure in the negative side, as this is a smaller chamber.) When you take the pump off, the reading you see is the pressure that’s in your fork. Occasionally, however, a pump or valve may be faulty.

robhughes
    Free Member

cheers sharki. i,ll try another pump.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘problems setting up dual air pikes’ is closed to new replies.