Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Problems putting pedals back on….can you help?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I have been swapping my shimano trail pedals between a variety of bikes this week. This afternoon, I tried to put them back on my old bike (on to Deore cranks) but I cannot get any purchase. I have cleaned and lubed pedal axle and crank hole, checked L & R (!!) but when holding the axle I get no feeling or purchase when I back pedal (the technique used on the other bikes).

Any ideas for a numpty with no pedals at the moment!?!?!

Murray

Clean the threads on the pedal with a wire brush.

Check L & R again!

Northwind

Superstar sell pedal taps for a pretty reasonable price- running them through from the back from time to time keeps things nice. I think the threads deform a little over time- steel bolt in alu thread- so they can get a bit catchy

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

Threads don’t really deform to any great degree but if pedals go in dry, the 2 different materials can begin to bond and when you unwind them they’ll take a little alloy with them.

Tapping them out is the best place to begin.

orangeboy
    Free Member

You can try putting the pedals in from the back of the arms to act like a cleaning tap

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Cleaned threads and out bearing juice on.

Checked L and R several times especially with bike up-side down (did I juts admit that?)

You do hold the part of the axle between the thread and the rest of the pedal, don’t you? It worked on the demos, just not on my bike. Missed a ride this afternoon as a result 🙁

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thanks, I will try someof these ideas later!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Bloody odd – no progress one day, and then little problem (bar sore thumb pads) the next! No idea what was different, but thanks for the advice, bike ready to go now!

mikertroid
    Free Member

Put the pedals in a vice and rotate the bike to thread them on.

I’ll get my coat…..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Problems putting pedals back on….can you help?’ is closed to new replies.