Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Problems getting a tyre on a 29" tubeless rim – help please!
  • Painey
    Free Member

My new bike turned up this week and one of the first things I wanted to do was convert the Mavic CrossRoc wheels to tubeless. Problem being, I can’t get the damn tyres back on now the rim strip has been fitted.

About the wheels, they have a yellow rim tape of sorts already in to cover the spoke holes. I didn’t check how substantial it was. They then supply you with a dedicated rim strip to fit, valve of course goes through it. Doing that was a piece of cake but now the tyres that go with the wheels (Mavic CrossRoc “Roam”) will not go back on. I wouldn’t say the rim strip was especially thick which would obviously be the problem.

Now I thought I was pretty good at fitting tubeless systems as I’ve done it on a couple of other bikes but I just cannot get the tyre on. Mavic also say these tyres will go back on the tubeless converted rim without tools!

So far I’ve used plenty of hot soapy water. Got one side on without any problems but the other side becomes pretty impossible when you get to the last 10″ or so.

I would massively appreciate any tips to try out. It’s pretty frustrating having a new bike and at present not being able to ride it.

Many thanks – Chris

wwaswas

make sure the tyre beads are dropped right into the well of the rim and a DH tyre lever but, tbh, I always reach a point where I think “could I do this in the rain at 9pm in November’ when mounting tyres like that and often decide not.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Problems getting a tyre on a 29" tubeless rim – help please!’ is closed to new replies.