Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Problems fitting an intergated headset
  • Just bought a road frame, and intergrated headset which im trying to fit but the bearings are too large for the headtube.

Is this a common problem and should i try and press them in or could there be something wrong with the frame?

can someone please help, cant find anything on google

mudpup
    Free Member

are you sure you havent bought a semi integrated headset by mistake?

foxyrider
    Free Member

No – you can't press them in – DONT force them – there are 2 types – Italian and International integrated – you need to know which – I expect you got the wrong size 🙁

Italian (IIRC) & IS :

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=68#is

fraseruk
    Free Member

I've been having a similar problem on my first road frame that I'm building up – actually my problem was I didn't realise it needed an integrated headset at all and ordered a normal one, which unsurprisingly didn't fit too well 😉

If I understand correctly I think there are 45mm and 46mm integrated headsets so sounds like you've maybe got the wrong size – there doesn't seem to be a clearly defined standard yet. I've seen them referred to as 'cane creek' standard and 'campag' standard but it seems to be as clear as mud which ones are which.

plop_pants
    Free Member

That's a nice frame for the price, got me thinking about getting one!
    What size did you get? Is the frame std geometry or compact/sloping?
    The headset bearings should just push in by hand. If there is a lot of paint overspray then this may be stopping it going in. Gentle removal of the paint inside the headtube may help, but, as said above, it could be that you have the wrong type of hs bearing.

Cheers guys for the help. It nothing to do with paint, the inside of the headtube is clean so i think the bearings must be too large. Not really clear what headset is compatible going by the info on the frame. I think I will ring chain reaction to see if they can help.

I got a 51cm but im only 5foot 7. Its compact, and not 100% about the sizing yet, will let you know once its built!

So far though for the money it is really nice and surprisingly light, hopefully it should ride well.

edhornby

there are 38×45 and 45×45, the one you have is the latter… but I'm not sure if that is the issue. I've just bought the same frame so I've emailed CR to ask them what size I need, if they don't help I'll go to the LBS and buy one from them and ask them to fit it

foxyrider
    Free Member

For the record:

Hidden Headset 36 x 45 'Cane Creek' fit.
    Hidden Headset 45 x 45 'Campag' fit.

edhornby

there's a facebook site with peoples loaded pics on, some german dude listed the specs and he put a cane creek on his

what forks are on yours?

fraseruk
    Free Member

I've now realised one of the confusing things is there are several similar numbers involved. There is the outer diameter (which I posted earlier) and a pair of angles (as foxy posted).

so:

36 x 45 degrees, 45mm outer diameter = 'Cane Creek' fit.
    45 x 45 degrees, 46mm outer diameter = 'Campag' fit.

Starting to get clearer!

foxyrider
    Free Member

yup I had this problem with my Ribble Sportive – had to use the campag headset so I ordered the Ribble campag fit one as they advised (not being an expert in integrated/internal headsets 🙂

edhornby

got an email response from ChainReaction, it's a cane creek one

linky the man sent me

donsimon
    Free Member

Yep sound like the wrong size, I've just sent an integrated headset back to CRC because the descriptions didn't differentiate between outside diameters.
    Standard/non Campagnolo 41.0mm
    Campagnolo 41.8mm

So I believe.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Problems fitting an intergated headset’ is closed to new replies.