• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by boblo.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Problematic advice (does not contain wife troubles)
  • mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I tried to order a Garmin GPS from Garmin in September, The order was stopped by them and then fell off the ordering computer into some kind of unreachable hold from where it could no longer be dispatched and i would have to go back to the beginning and start all over.

This mess took almost three weeks of phone calls for Garmin to finally admit defeat and I cancelled the order. In the end I bought it from Evans in 14 hours had it wrapped and ready.

The other day Garmin Sent me a GPS520 via UPS. They took the money the day after which put me over my overdraft, only just but enough to need to pay a fee.

I spoke to them this morning. They want it back, naturally. Only they will only pick it up during working hours Monday to Friday. My firm has a policy not to deal with staff post in the office system. And They won’t return the money for three weeks after the get it back.

I feel robbed somehow. Anyone know where I stand? its nice, but I didn’t ask for it.

The bank cared even less.

jam-bo

surely if the order was cancelled its an unauthorised transaction on your account?

nickjb
    Free Member

Go back to the bank. Unauthorised payment, they have various terms but chargeback us the usual one.

Coyote
    Free Member

IANAL. However you cancelled the order and AFTER this they dispatched the item. Surely that fact that they took the money without authorisation is against the law. Have you told the bank this?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

The bank’s view is, I have the goods, return them. Simples.
    Still have to pay for the mess.

Only problem is the courier can’t collect when i am at work, or from my work because of the rules.

Won’t pay for royal mail just UPS collection 9-5 Monday to Friday.

nickc

To Bank: Fraudulent payment, please cancel and restore funds

To Garmin: I’ll be at my place of work during those times, I’ll have it available there for you to collect, not negotiable.

legend
    Free Member

My firm has a policy not to deal with staff post in the office system

Deal with it outside of the company system? E.g. have a word with the front desk? give UPS your phone number so you can run out with it? Obviously everyone’s work is different, but I’ve had all kinds of stuff delivered from all kinds of places with different rules over the years

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Can’t collect from work for two reasons

1 I work all about the area and can be sent out of the office at a moments notice. I work from the office, but can’t promise to be in it.

2 the company won’t handle staff post, collections or sending.

I feel Properly fecked.

stevie750

Talk to someone else at the bank.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I might have to call them but the front desk girl did while I waited as she didn’t know. Trading standards?

nickc

then you’ll need to take a day’s leave, which is a PITA!

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Can they pay me for the day? People, avoid these morons.

nickjb
    Free Member

Friend, family member or neighbour who is home in the day? Collection stuff I often just leave in the porch.

sadmadalan

So somebody took money from your account without authorisation. They then sent you unsolicited goods.

Firstly go back to your bank. This is an unauthorised transfer. As such they should sort it out. However it is a pain in the neck for them to sort it out, but it is their problem – get them to fix it.

Secondly point out to Garmin that they have committed fraud in taking money from an account without authorisation. Also point out that they have sent you unsolicited goods. How they choose to get the goods back is their problem, but they need to work with you rather than just saying it is your problem.

Basically neither the bank or Garmin can be bothered to fix the mess that you are in, even though mistakes have been made. Push them hard

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

As much as I hate it, Complaints to companies on social media, particularly Twitter seem to have the biggest effect of resolving these things. The cost of bad reviews / adverse advertising is greater than the cost of sorting things out usually.

aracer
    Free Member

In which case you need to tell your bank to do their job properly – order was cancelled, hence no authorisation for payment. Them sending out goods makes not a jot difference to that.

Once you have that sorted, you can tell Garmin to collect at your convenience – they might be more interested in that when they no longer have your money (and if they aren’t interested in getting their goods back, that’s no longer your problem), hence bank is the one you need to sort.

boblo
    Free Member

There’s two separate issues here:

Refund: it’s an unauthorised transaction. Raise with bank, they’ll reinstate funds whilst they investigate. You’ll have the email to Garmin cancelling the order to back up your story. As the transaction was unauthorised, the fallout from the consequent overdraft should be reversed as well.

Return. Send it back to them and get them to pay for the return or they collect at a time/place of your convenience.

They’re messing you around, not the other way round.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Problematic advice (does not contain wife troubles)’ is closed to new replies.