Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Problem with Marthon Plus
  • SD-253
    Free Member

You won’t believe how bad these tyres are? They literaly throw water straight into my face from the front tyre? It doesn’t even need much water on the road. Never noticed this on other Marthon Plus. Bought them second hand on Ebay still loads of ware in them. Think I will buy another 2nd hand pair similar and just use these on the back. Haven’t noticed hardly any mud/water on the back of my jacket? Any one used them? not on the Swalbe site?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

disco_stu
    Free Member

I’ve been using Marathons and the Marathon Plus for the past few years and not noticed that they are any worse than other tyres.
    You could try some mudguards as they really cut down on the amount of spray flung up by the tyres.

Northwind

That doesn’t look anything like my marathon pluses.

29erKeith
    Free Member

+1 MrCrush

They look nothing like my Marathon plus

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

thats cos its not a marathon plus 😉

OP how much did you pay for them?

SD-253
    Free Member

disco_stu – Member
    I’ve been using Marathons and the Marathon Plus for the past few years and not noticed that they are any worse than other tyres.
    You could try some mudguards as they really cut down on the amount of spray flung up by the tyres.

I don’t really want to fit a mudgaurd to this mountain bike but I am thinking about it. Note I am not even sure it would work as the water is coming from past the vertical and more between the horizontal and the vertical Even the handle bars are covered in mud/water. Mud gaurds don’t go round far enough? odd isn’t it? I to am using Marathon Plus and Marathon on some of my other bikes no problems

SD-253
    Free Member

Hi they are Marathon Plus the insides clearly have the puncture protection, all the decals and reflector strips are correct. you are assuming that all Marathon pluses are identical they are not. As the sites clearly shows. These are probably one of there many discontiued styles………I can’t think why. I bought them 2nd hand on Ebay, so price is irellavant a pair 2nd hand just went for 26 pound.

SD-253
    Free Member
    SD-253
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    That doesn’t look anything like my marathon pluses.

Posted 20 minutes ago # Report-Post
    29erKeith – Member
    +1 MrCrush

They look nothing like my Marathon plus

Posted 19 minutes ago # Report-Post
    MrCrushrider – Member
    thats cos its not a marathon plus

OP how much did you pay for them?

Hi I am not quite sure why you all think you are so knowlegable?

You clearly are not they are as I said a discontinued tyre. Check the site below they are near the bottom

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/schwalbe.asp

steelfan
    Free Member

I think the OP is correct.
    It looks like this.Schwalbe marathon plus mtb

druidh
    Free Member

That’s a Marathon Plus ATB. not like a normal “street” Marathon/PLus at all. The street version will tend to through water out sideways due to the “sips”. That one is just gonna pick it up and throw it at you.

Northwind

I for one would like to express my utter shock that it turned out not to be a Marathon Plus. Amazing nobody saw it coming really.

druidh
    Free Member

TBF to the OP, it says “Marathon Plus” on the sidewalls….

29erKeith
    Free Member

OP nobodys having a go! just saying they don’t look like any of the Marathon plus we have

SD-253
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    That’s a Marathon Plus ATB. not like a normal “street” Marathon/PLus at all. The street version will tend to through water out sideways due to the “sips”. That one is just gonna pick it up and throw it at you.

Yep no two way about that but I can’t bring myself to bin them and would never resell them. I think I will just use them for the back and get some others for the front? Thanks druidh

sofatester
    Free Member

Fight Fight Fight!

SD-253
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    I for one would like to express my utter shock [list]that it turned out not to be a Marathon Plus.[/list] Amazing nobody saw it coming really.

Don’t be prick admit it when you are wrong

Northwind

It’s not a Marathon Plus, as has been explained to you, it’s a Marathon Plus ATB- you bought the wrong tyre. Wind it in.

I will admit to being a prick though. Famous for it really.

boblo
    Free Member

You lot are thick….indeed it’s not a Marathon Plus, it’s a Marthon Plus

Mr Grumpy told you that at the start…….

zilog6128

Don’t be prick admit it when you are wrong

you do realise that this has never happened in the entire history of the internet? 😆

SD-253
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    It’s not a Marathon Plus, as has been explained to you, it’s a Marathon Plus ATB- you bought the wrong tyre. Wind it in.

I will admit to being a prick though. Famous for it really.

Wow! Now that is taking pedantic to extreme. I said it was a marathon Plus wherever it is a Marathon Plus ATB is completely irrelevant. You are in fact one of the most pathetic person I have ever come across on the Internet. Do you ever admit to being wrong? I am staggered just how pathetic you are, honestly I can’t believe it. Get a life.

Northwind

😆

falkirk-mark

I have one on the back of my bike seems okay but I cannot comment on water splash as I always have a mudguard on that bike (commuter)

SD-253
    Free Member

falkirk-mark – Member
    I have one on the back of my bike seems okay but I cannot comment on water splash as I always have a mudguard on that bike (commuter

Yeah thats what I am thinking just use them for rear wheel what do you use for front? I assume it is another plus?? The angle at which they water off makes me wonder if you even need a mudguard on the back. Anyway thanks

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

And the case for the defence:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24797

It’s an older design Marathon Plus. So, it is actually a Marathon Plus.

I think a couple of people owe the OP an apology for being knobs, quite frankly.

Funny to see a couple of people made to look silly. And there they were, thinking they were sooo clever.

It’s an unexpected bonus in an otherwise quite boring thread (no offence OP). 😀

As for spray; I’ve always found tyres with a continuous slick strip down the centre throw up a lot of water, as Onion has explained. If that centre strip is broken at regular intervals, this helps to cut down the amount of spray, but slick-ish tyres will always throw up a fair bit anyway.

For regular riding in foul weather, full mudguards or at least Crud-type guards are a Godsend. Whatever the fashion police may think…

hoddo80
    Free Member

Not sure where I stand on this, at first glance it looks like a normal Marathon (pre 2007) but when comparing the original posters picture with the image above it does look like a Marathon Plus ATB. The only way to know for sure is to know the size of the tyre. 26×2.00 or 28×1.60 would indicate a Marathon Plus ATB, anything else would mean a normal Marathon.
    Defo not a Marathon Plus though!
    Hope this clears things up. 🙂

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

ell Back to the water spray,
    If you realy don’t want to fit mudguards
    try
    http://www.rapidracerproducts.com/NeoGuard.htm they are really good.

daznal
    Free Member

Looks to me to be an old school marathon minus…deffo

paul4stones

Elfin’s pic looks like a Landcruiser to me

*runs away* 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Problem with Marthon Plus’ is closed to new replies.