Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Problem with Hope bleed kit! Need Help!!!!
  • Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

Hi guys,

Just using the Hope bleed kit for the 1st time and its not going to plan!

It all seems connected up ok and all the pipes are in the right place but, as soon as I connect the black pipe to the wheel for pressure, oil comes shooting out of the centre of the MC cap, where the pipe enters the MC with the copper nuts and plastic washers? What am I doing wrong or have I a faulty unit?

I have even tried to lower the pressure in the tyre to see if that was causing it but its still the same?

Any help would be most appreciated 😀

backhander
    Free Member

Waste if money IMO, I bought one and have never used it,
    Cut the ends off (with the bolt type things) the smaller clear plastic hose and put on the caliper outlet. Remove the res cap and follow the instruction on the vid. BUT make sure you put something in the caliper so that the pistons don’t come out. Works for my techM4s.

ChrisA
    Free Member

is the tube / mc connection tight? have you put the rubber seal under the master cylinder cap? The pressure on the tube only needs to be about 20 psi which is low, i’m not sure why the oil would ‘shoot out’ unless the tube pressure was too high. Let some air out the inner tube, check you connections are tight and see what happens?

Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

Thanks chaps,

I have the connectors on the MC faceplate as tight as I can get them, the rubber seal is in place under the top cap too. I’ll try and use even less pressure to see, my track pump told me I had 20-25 ish at the start, and its considerable less now and its still leaking?

I’ll have another look and if it still fails then I’ll just use the manual method, shame really as this should be so simple!

uplink
    Free Member

as this should be so simple!

It is, throw away all that plumbing & simply use one piece of tubing & an 8mm spanner
    It really is very simple this way

When you get confident you can try reverse bleeding with a syringe for even greater simplicity

ChrisA
    Free Member

…or as uplik said, just use the tube and lock on / off the bleed valve. To be hinest, i only used the kit as i’d repalced the hoses and it was less hassle that way withn the kit.

Did u put the spare copper washer on the underside of the m/c between the top cap and nut? Top cap is on tight i assume?

Even if its leaking, just wrap a rag around the lever to soak up any excess dot fluid and open the bleed valve, it will still work fine.

backhander
    Free Member

When you get confident you can try reverse bleeding with a syringe for even greater simplicity

Would you be able to expand on this please uplink?

Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

Anyone use 18 bikes before? Any good? Need to get some more brake fluid!

firestarter
    Free Member

Yes very good got my hope spares and tools from them , friendly service and very fast delivery

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Go to a car/motorcycle shop for brake fluid.

Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

Well, good news and bad!

Good news is that I managed to get the thing to work, really tightened the copper nuts as hard as, and it stopped all the leaking!

Bad news is that I ran out of oil during the bleed as so much had been wasted before, so I have to wait for some more to be delivered!

Question, can you re-use the oil thats collected in the other bottle? or does the air permantly stay in the oil now? All the oil is unused so its not being replaced due to being boiled to death etc….

Also, what do you chaps do with the old oil, where can you dispose of it?

Thanks to all for all the advice 😀

kaesae
    Free Member

You might also want to roll the diaphram, when you replace the top cap. Just Incase you don’t already know!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LPd_cpZ6KU.

I simply use an old back end that raises the caliper a lot higher than the lever and bleed it manually, I have a hope bleed kit or two. I have a non return valve on it and a cut off valve, I also have it linked upto my silent air compressor.

But to be honest it’s more trouble than it’s worth.

Good luck mate!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Problem with Hope bleed kit! Need Help!!!!’ is closed to new replies.