Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • problem with a forum member updated !
  • tonup
    Free Member

someof you may recall I posted earlier in the week regaurding a certain member
    alexstumpy11
    still haven’t received the camelback I bought from him and more to the point im getting no replies to any emails,
    he said he would post it more or less straight away then made excuses regaurding not posting it,
    well a week after the last excuse and he hasn’t replied to any emails,
    I only have myself to blame because I paid him by bank transfer rather than use paypal because he said he didn’t have it ?

does anyone know if theres anyway of reporting members to the forum please ?

wouldn’t want anyone else to be turned over by him !

bearnecessities

*opens hobnobs*

EDIT: It could be that they are actually genuine excuses and he’s getting a bit ticked off with you now pestering/posting about him?

Or, he’s been posting/selling stuff for years, only to pull off a masterstroke in an Ocean’s 11 style heist, by profiting on a single Camelback.

Or, he’s just being a bit sloppy.

Seriously, I’d relax if I were you – if you hadn’t paid BT, you wouldn’t be half as worried 😉

matt_outandabout

Overall, how long since you agreed to buy? It looks like a week?

Cougar

You can email concerns to moderator@singletrackworld.com but, we don’t (and can’t) typically get involved in classifieds disputes. There’s two sides to every story.

Cougar

A quick look at his history shows that he’s been active in the Classifieds for a while. The account is over two years old.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/profile/alexstumpy11

I’d respectfully suggest that it’s unlikely you’ve been ripped off, unless his account’s been compromised. I can compare the email address you’ve been given with the one we have on record if you email it to me. (Please don’t post personal details here.)

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Side 1 – genuine buyer
    Side 2 – someone with little or no posting history is allowed to dive straight into the classifieds and start scamming people.

What is so hard about setting a 200 post limit before people have access to the classifieds? Works ok on other forums I’m on?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve a few mates who have no intention of posting the amount of pish I do on here, but sell regularly, and don’t have anywhere near 200 posts. Very genuine peeps though, so how would that work DBW?.

bearnecessities

What is so hard about setting a 200 post limit before people have access to the classifieds? Works ok on other forums I’m on?

200 posts?!

STW is a fairly open, inviting and ‘relaxed’ model, advising members on safety precautions, rather than enforcing.

After all, if Tonup paid by normal PP, as classifieds advises, there would be no problem.

Cougar

It’s taken him two years to rack up over 200 posts. So to be honest, I think that’s a little excessive. Not everyone is as prolific as, well, us.

Perhaps a credit system would work better, every post you make in the regular forums gives you the ‘credit’ to post an advert in the classifieds? There are many users who are classifieds-only though, and whilst I personally think that’s against the ‘spirit’ of the board it’d be a huge loss of traffic if we were to suddenly blackball them. For better or worse, they’re well within their rights to be doing what they’re doing.

stu170
    Free Member

200 posts is a bit strong. An awful lot of spamming would take place. I know passionford which I also frequent, you haveto be a gold member to sell. Same as premium here.

nealglover
    Free Member

Side 1 – genuine buyer
    Side 2 – someone with little or no posting history is allowed to dive straight into the classifieds and start scamming people.

Or.

Side 1 – new member ignores classifieds advice on how to pay, then moans when there is a delay.
    Side 2 – someone who’s been on here for years and sold lots of stuff without problems, has a problem posting one item and someone moans about it all over the forum.

Two ways of looking at everything.

Cougar

I know passionford which I also frequent, you haveto be a gold member to sell. Same as premium here.

You know, that’s really not a bad idea either. And we’d often have mailing addresses.

Though, I suppose the danger then is it moves the onus of policing back on to STW, the forum would be implicitly “vouching” for people and that’s a dangerous precedence to be setting.

bearnecessities

Like everything in life, keep it simple.

STW classifieds in conjunction with normal Paypal is a beautiful harmony of simplicity and security; stray away at your own risk.

hora
    Free Member

Eh? A week ago, 30quid bloke moving house.

OP are you seriously crying a major crime THAT quick? Dramaqueen?

tonup
    Free Member

2 weeks.
    Paid for an item.
    Told various stories of when and why it aint been posted then a wall of silence.
    so its only 30 quid. So its only 2 weeks.
    Point is, as per emails it should have arrived by now but hasnt.
    What am a supposed to think.
    Longest ive waited for a classified item is arond 5 days so to me the 2 weeks seems like an age.

Drama queen ????? Maybe.

Weekend keyboard warrior ?????? Nailed on !!!!!!

scotroutes

Then you’d have to “police” the posts. Someone could just to a +1 and that would get them an ad space? Why bother?

scotroutes

FWIW, I think you have a right to be miffed. If it’s going to take you a week to post it then say that up front. If there’s a delay, contact the buyer and let them know. It’s just being polite!

bruneep

+1

user-removed
    Free Member

Yeah, I’d be peeved. Had lots of successful transactions and one complete nightmare. Never ever used anything but normal Paypal. If a seller claims not to have a Paypal account, I’ll just wait until another item pops up.

Never waited longer than a week either.

Northwind

DaveyBoyWonder – Member

What is so hard about setting a 200 post limit before people have access to the classifieds?

Moderated a forum that had a 50-post minimum for classifieds… End result, people posted 50 posts of pish then scammed on.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Which reminds me, i wonder it watsontony has a job and therefore my £25 yet?

hora
    Free Member

Ah ok 2weeks
    The link to the item said one. Stw cant show in days over 6can it. Just blocks.

Watsontony posts alot now. Hes got internet access so he must have your money. Ask him? I bloody would.

atlaz
    Free Member

whilst I personally think that’s against the ‘spirit’ of the board it’d be a huge loss of traffic if we were to suddenly blackball them. For better or worse, they’re well within their rights to be doing what they’re doing.

So it’s about traffic not about the community? Interesting approach. I know STW have to pay for the forum, but it’s a bit like the malicious mobile ads, at what point do you say “This way of doing it is causing pain, lets shut it off, at least for a bit and see how it settles down even if it means a bit less money”

Drac

Out off all the many 1000s of classified sales on here there has a been a handful of reported ‘scams’ so the keeping it simple approach and asking members to be cautious is working.

Atlaz that is not the case at all and I don’t think what Cougar meant.

matther01
    Free Member

How about we all agree to leave feedback on the original classified advert? I often try…but forget. At least its an improved audit trail of how good a seller is.

I am surprised how many items I receive without them being rec del as I always send them that way for a better piece of mind for me and the buyer.

hora
    Free Member

Watsontony?

breadcrumb

Other forums I’ve used have had a simple rule of photo of item with the advert, and to prove its your photo your username on a piece of paper in shot. At least if the person has the item you’re less likely to be scammed.

Drac

Watsontony posts alot now. Hes got internet access so he must have your money. Ask him? I bloody would.

Not for 9 months.

tonup
    Free Member

Finally someone gets why im pissed off.
    If the lad had told me from the start it was gunna take a while I would have looked else where cos I needed it sooner. This is now the 2nd weekend ive needed but not had it.
    Think scotroutes hit the nail on the head.
    A bit of decency wouldn’t go a miss.
    People pay you straight away then you should have the decency to post straight away in my opinion.
    And at the very least keep you informed if theres other issues

njee20
    Free Member

I am surprised how many items I receive without them being rec del as I always send them that way for a better piece of mind for me and the buyer.

Doesn’t do anything for the buyer other than mean they’ve gotta get it from the sorting office! Definitely provides peace of mind for sellers though, buyers can’t do the ‘it never arrived’ thing.

hora
    Free Member

Ah mixed him with wrightyson

matther01
    Free Member

Njee20 – I send the buyer the no. on the day its posted so they know its in the post. There have been times when I’ve been told something has been posted but then find out it was posted 2/3 days later…quite annoying.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘problem with a forum member updated !’ is closed to new replies.