Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Probiotics – anyone take them?
  • Aus
    Free Member

Really for a bit of digestive comfort – not a big deal, just to balance a sometimes chaotic wok life which means eating random stuff at random times. Trying Bioglan at the moment and seem to be helping a bit (maybe psychosomatic?!). Just wondered if anyone else had other recommendations?

Thanks

chrissyharding
    Free Member

Sauerkraut is good at balancing gut fauna.
    The best thing is, put the time aside to eat good food.
    For me 42 years of eating poorly,eventually caught up with me.
    I had a stomach infection. Which has left sensitivity.
    I gave up all junk plus meat, dairy and eggs.
    I have gone from waking up with nausea and heartburn.
    to feeling well, energised going the bog properly. 2st lighter 4″ off waist.
    I became 100% plant based diet because of how I felt about animal food production though.
    The change has no doubt been of benefit to me.
    However, small changes to when and what you are eating will benefit you more. Than adding extra stuff or meds to combat.
    give it a try. Good luck.

RobHilton
    Free Member

chaotic wok life

Stir-fry overdose.

AFAICT probiotics are snake oil. Lose the bread & processed food, love the plants.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Only ever use after having a course of antibiotics

Eat healthy

alric
    Free Member

I was told that the cheap sauerkraut from supermarkets was not the real thing
    does anyone know what kind of sauerkraut really helps gut flora?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sourkraut (and Yakult) are variations on the same thing, lactobateria and a food source (milk or cabbage).

The theory is that lactobateria should survive the trip through the stomach.

Unfortunately the evidence doesn’t support that, if any does make it through the stomach, survive the bile, it doesn’t colonize the gut. And why would you want to turn your gut into a lactobaeria monoculture anyway? OK your gut may not be at it’s healthiest, but it’s not as bad as that.

scarlett
    Free Member

Yes and its no exaggeration when I say they have changed my life!

I had become really food sensitive, lethargic, feeling down, bloated and had piled on weight. My diet wasn’t awful but too much processed food had just upset the balance I believe – I think its called dysbosis, my doctor told me about it after blood tests etc came back fine. I had to cut out more food than I could actually eat without feeling rubbish, inc bread etc.

Started on Optibac Probiotics about 18 months ago and felt better quite quickly. Lost a stone in weight, suffered from less colds etc and now can pretty much eat what I want without negative effects and feel miles better.

Interestingly my mum started on them too and after 2 years of constant colds/viruses she is feeling lots better and her only winter cold came during a week where she had ran out. Could totally be coincidence but she feels loads better so I’m not questioning it!

jonba
    Free Member

probiotics are snake oil. Lose the bread

😆

You could try researching prebiotics, foods that help your gut.

Various things could be upsetting you. I would try and deal with the cause and reduce the amount of chaos. If it is possible planning snacks and meals so you don’t end up eating junk because that is all that is available.

cinnamon_girl

More info here including sauerkraut, also kefir which you can make yourself:

https://draxe.com/probiotics-benefits-foods-supplements/

Daily I have plain full fat live yoghurt and take these probiotics:

http://www.protexin.com/products/bio-kult-60-capsules/18

paton
    Free Member
    FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Scarlet – hang on, you cut out all the shit food and ate more healthy yet it’s the probiotic that made the difference 🙄

scud
    Free Member

Good article here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4s0XkHq0HxZhjd5V2lQ2LRm/do-probiotics-do-any-good

Twice in my life i’ve had to take long courses of strong antibiotic cocktails from malaria in West Africa and a leg infection that refused to go away after bike accident in Bolivia, found that found i had “digestive issues” for quite a while after and would seemingly get ill easily. I spoke to a nutritionist that said there is no real evidence at all that pro-biotics work at all, as whilst the bacteria that are used in Activia and the like do survive to get to the gut, as soon as you stop, they go, best thing you can do is promote growth and health of the bacteria you have, they naturally want to multiply with a healthy diet

cinnamon_girl

FunkyDunc – have you watched ‘Doctor in the House’ telly programme with Dr Rangan Chatterjee? This week’s is definitely worth a watch and it concerns an obese child. Dr C works in the NHS too, just in case you thought he was a pseudo-doctor. 😉

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08sqvpk/doctor-in-the-house-series-2-episode-3

plyphon
    Free Member

I’ll try anything once – going to try some Optibac when i’m back from holiday in two weeks time.

cinnamon_girl

Also consider candida, colonic irrigation can identify it. 🙂

maccruiskeen

You need a fecal transplant.
    Any willing donors?

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Probiotics are very good for the old gut management, which also can have strong knock on effects. However you do need strong strong doses and the diet to help them thrive in the stomach.

Like most things, not all probiotics are created equal so make sure you pick an exceptional one. Try a 3 month course and if you don’t feel and look better i’ll be amazed.

Forget the drinks you find in supermarkets as they are mostly sugar and the cultures they use rarely make it through to where they need to be.

A good goats kefir is the ticket!

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Probiotics are just (mostly) expensive sugar filled yoghurts, I get more out of eating plain live yoghurt for a fraction of the price.

PreBiotics such as Inulin or Kefir drink are proven to have a beneficial effect. Inulin powder is a damn sight cheaper if that’s an issue.

cinnamon_girl

Here’s some scintillating bed-time reading for you from the World Gastroenterology Organisation 2017 Global Guidelines for Prebiotics and Probiotics.

http://www.worldgastroenterology.org/UserFiles/file/guidelines/Probiotics-and-prebiotics-English2017.pdf

Enjoy. 😀

bedmaker

I’ve just read Michael Mosleys Clever guts book. He basically says what others have said above. Most of these things are rubbish. A good diet along with some proper fermented food and homemade youghurt, kefir etc will be much better.

chrissyharding
    Free Member

Red and White cabbage. 1 fist size of each.
    1 red onion.
    1 chili
    handful of carrots.
    Two golfish balls of raw beet.
    emulsify a glug or ten of olive oil and cider apple vinegar( with the mother) with decent amount of salt and pepper.
    finely chop cabbage, chili and onion.
    grate carrot and beet.
    Combine together.
    keep it in fridge.
    simple and cheap.
    has a good amount of bioavailable nutrition.
    I add apples when there are edible ones on the go.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It all kicked off about a week ago, when a study published in Genome Medicine tackled the idea that probiotic supplements give your gut and your immune system a necessary boost. A team of Danish researchers did a systematic review of seven studies looking at the effects of probiotic products (like yogurt drinks and biscuits) on the actual bacterial makeup on fecal matter. The study authors found “there is no convincing evidence for consistent effects of probiotics on fecal microbiota composition in healthy adults.”

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/probiotics-are-useless-gmos-are-fine-and-gluten-is-necessary-nutrition-science-fads-debunked?trk_source=popular

You could try researching prebiotics, foods that help your gut.

akeys001

After watching mosley’s documentary i started home-making kefir (must admit some hit and miss results taste-wise) and drinking a small glass daily – was previously on omeprazole (daily) for excess acid and now don’t take them (except for after a red-wine binge)

Bimbler
    Free Member

Athletes’ Microbiomes Differ from Nonathletes

Researchers are beginning to uncover a link between activity level and the microbial makeup of one’s gut.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Probiotics – anyone take them?’ is closed to new replies.