Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Probaby know the answer but another eBay 'buyer'….
  • breatheeasy
    Free Member

Sold some kids toys, buyer did a buy-it-now, paid for it and the postage on Friday.

Didn’t look at the computer again, wrap it up and addressed, and walked to the Post Office on Saturday to post.

Let the buyer know and just got a reply back saying “sorry blah blah blah, cancelled order through eBay (well actually you sent me an email saying can I cancel). I cannot aford the extra £7.99 p&p, which seems i will have to go thro E.bay to sort.”

Now they’ve paid the full amount including postage. I’m assuming they don’t really have a leg to stand on. Now am I in line for a scam, ebay refunding them and I end up with nothing, or at very least negative feedback?

It’s got the feeling of “refund me the postage and we’ll call it quits” to me, thus me ending with pretty much nothing for the goods, and them getting a cheap toy for christmas.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

If you want to keep hold of the money, spend your PP balance elsewhere, then remove your card & bank acct. details from PP asap!

aracer
    Free Member

…and reply to the buyer pointing out that an ebay bid is a binding contract and that any representation they make to ebay/paypal to get their money back will be fraudulent (you have the messages to prove they just want to cancel), which you’re happy to report both to ebay/paypal and the police.

Northwind

Stand your ground, keep your record of posting (if you don’t have one get back to the post office and see if they can help), make all conversations go through the ebay dispute system, and follow their rules to a tee. I’ve had a few like this and they were all a mild hassle but not one of them led to me losing money. The ebay claims system is intentionally a bit of a minefield to negotiate but they’re not actively out to screw you- they have no side here, they don’t benefit by supporting either side unfairly but in practice it’s usually the person that goes through the dispute process best and most correctly that’ll win.

johnners
    Free Member

7.99 p&p? Is it an anvil?

Andy

The old try and negotiate a discount after the auction trick. There is a simple solution to this, very politely offer a full refund on return of the goods, or nothing. Say experience has taught you its the only way to resolve this kind of issue thats fair to both sides (which it is!). I always stick to this and of the 5 odd times its happened to me, the buyer always decides to keep the goods.

Edit: oh and the binding contract bit doesn’t really apply IMO as the buyer can always return the item for refund within 14 days anyway.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Edit: oh and the binding contract bit is bollocks IMO as the buyer can always return the item for refund within 14 days anyway.

How so? Are you thinking of the distance selling reg…don’t apply to private sales iirc?

Andy

Whatever cynical. But the first para in my post works.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Probaby know the answer but another eBay 'buyer'….’ is closed to new replies.