Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Probably unpopular question here!
  • mickasaki
    Free Member

Who's walked up snowdon and what is the nicest way? went nearly to the top years ago, followed the high speed train (not) track! Having a weeks break in wales next week and planning a day off riding!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

nyeh, nyeh, red socks!

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

Nicest routes are Crib Goch or via the Watkins Path in my opinion, the Pyg Track is a nice walk, if pushed for time

izakimak
    Free Member

i walked and rode up and down it today. Up the main path that follows the train track and down the rangers path, couldn't see shit at the top but the views were smashing once we got out of the cloud.

colande
    Free Member

I would say Crib Goch aswell

project
    Free Member

Been up Snowdon a couple of times. Crib goch is a laugh BUT word of warning it is a serious hike/scramble and should be avoided in nasty weather high winds etc, it is really exposed and once your half way up the clambering bits there is no easy way off! There are many sections up it that are best described as easy climbs, they are vertical you need your hands and they are up to about 60ft high! Easy to get up but exposed if you do make a mistake!

Trust me im no wuss (but i am a stubborn muppet!), but like an idiot dragged my missus up there despite her protestations that the weather would get worse and seeing other people turn back and go up the pyg track. Needless to say I was as foolhardy as a smashed up student in malaga and proceeded to press on! I swear to god we nearly died. It was so windy and exposed on the ridge we seriously nearly got blown off on loads of occasions(especially my smaller lighter girlfriend!). Plus the visability was much worse up top then the bottom!!!

Yeah it was an awful decision on my part, but take heed it was calm at the bottom not raining and the vis was ok so basically what im trying to say is that unless your ranulph fiennes or the weather is perfect think twice about crib goch!!!

It might only be the uk but it can be seriously naughty!!! I have pictures to prove it!

Lecture over hope you enjoy it!!!!

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Would agree on Crib Goch as the most dramatic ascent.

Try coming down via Rhyd Ddu though. Is known as one of the easiest routes, but you'll probably have it to yourself and I reckon it has the best views – particularly this time of year, as it gets more of the sun (southern face). The first section down from the summit is particularly great as you see the ridge snaking away ahead of you.

There's a pub at the bottom, and if you time it right you should be able to get the bus back to your start point at Pen y Pass.

In my experience, unless you have a particularly good day / early start, if you go up and down on the North side this time of year you may find it pretty gloomy and oppressive on the return leg.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I've lost count of all the times I've wandered up there. I think the PYG is the most scenic of the easier routes because it overlooks the cwms and lakes. It has the advantage of a junction with the Crib Goch route. If it's reasonably clear and calm and you don't mind some big drops and using your hands, Crib Goch is a proper adventure without being climbing.

Snowdon Ranger and Rhydd Du are the quiet options and you can make an easy loop.

Now a connoisseurs route is to follow the Miners' Path to the outflow of Glaslyn then turn 90 degrees left and scramble up the compact but largely forsaken Y Gribin ridge, followed by Snowdon's rather loose East Ridge that overlooks the huge Trinity face, straight to the summit, then return over Grib Goch. It rocks.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

If the weather is decent, you won't be alone on Grib Goch!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sorry to bang on but this spectacular photo (not mine) shows typical crab-walking used to tackle the nerve-jangling drop off the north side 🙂

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Crib goch isn't a walk, its a grade 1 scramble that will terrify a lot of people who have never been up a hill.
    the nicest walk is up the miners track and down the llanberis path ime.

aracer
    Free Member

Been up Snowdon a couple of times. Crib goch is a laugh BUT word of warning it is a serious hike/scramble and should be avoided in nasty weather high winds etc, it is really exposed and once your half way up the clambering bits there is no easy way off!

Yeah, I went up there once in really high winds, and rather scared myself!

Agree on the Crib Goch / Pyg track options. Nobody seems to have mentioned the Lliwedd option for making a nice loop after going up via Crib Goch – it's kind of the Swirral Edge to Crib Goch's Striding Edge for those who know Helvellyn but not Snowdon. A nice ridge, but not really technical like Crib Goch, though it makes for a better way down than just doing Pyg track if you like ridges.

OTOH if you find normal Crib Goch a bit tame, then try Crib Goch North ridge. Possibly better as a descent (the only way I've ever done it), though you shouldn't do that if you don't know very well what you're doing on hills, as there are a lot of cliffs you could stumble over, including the rather substantial Dinas Mot which is what you'll go over if you just carry on down the ridge rather than dropping West into Cwm Glas. Bit of a trudge back up the road to PYP, but it's a relatively easy place to hitch.

mickasaki
    Free Member

I take it Crib goch isn't the route the cyclists take then! although one of you is bound to say you cleared it on your singlespeed without any dabs! Sounds like there are plenty of options ! Don't think i want anything to technical as i will be on my own, and that could end up being very stupid indeed! All i know is i'm not taking the train! I suppose i could just follow the crowds. there are plenty of guide books for the area so will give me something to look forward to!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Probably unpopular question here!’ is closed to new replies.