Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Probably stupid 'getting bluetooth on an existing car stereo' question
  • IHN

Existing (Alpine) stereo has two aux cables out of the back of it, one of which attaches to an iPod and the other is a USB port for sticking a memory stick full of MP3s in. Control/playback of both is then done via the headset. They’re currently poking into the gloovebox, where the iPod one has an iPod attached to it and the USB one is doing nothing.

I’d like to be able to play music/radio/whatever from my (Android) phone, but the stereo doesn’t have Bluetooth capability. A proper Bluetooth adaptor is £60+, but a USB Bluetooth Dongle can be had for about a fiver.

My half-brained idea is to buy a dongle and plug it into the USB cable in the glovebox. Then, when I want to play stuff from the phone, I select that input from the stereo, Bluetoothy connecty the phone and away I go.

However, this isn’t going to work is it, because the stereo will be expecting to read MP3’s from that input? So this is a stupid idea?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think this is the doodahh you need. Cheaper than the official black box. But doesn’t sound like it gives any control, it just appears as a dummy ipod?

If you find a way of doing it <£100 let me know, I was debating ripping the stereo out and just fitting new one, the CDE-w235 is only a bit more than the adapter for the older models.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBP-Bluetooth-Interface-audio-adapter-Full-Speed-for-Alpine-Radio-KCE-433IV-/121799670179?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

IHN

Yeah ta, but I want to keep the existing iPod in place, which I can’t do with that.

I think it will actually be easier to buy a new stereo, how mad is that…

nixie

The dongles would need drivers which the head unit doesn’t have. Can it take a normal 3.5mm line in? If so how about this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/iClever-Hands-Free-Multi-Point-Convenient-Activation/dp/B011I8ITJ6/

IHN

The dongles would need drivers which the head unit doesn’t have.

Yeah, that’s what I thought

Can it take a normal 3.5mm line in?

Nope, only external inputs are iPod and USB 🙁

IHN

However, this may tick the boxes; power from the USB cable on the stereo, transmit on FM to the radio…

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rii-GB01-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Blackbarry-Black/dp/B00QTK9EGG/ref=pd_cp_23_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=08EKHSVGVWTS729G3CSP

russianbob
    Free Member

Is the iPod an iPod Touch? If so, could you simply install airfoil on it, and then it effectively becomes a bluetooth speaker.

woody74

Can’t you just use a bluetooth receiver like this for £12

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JUSTOP-BTR006-Bluetooth-Wireless-Universal/dp/B005NDDEVQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1454942098&sr=8-7&keywords=amazon+bluetooth+receiver

This would plug into your line in which you iPod is currently using, but could you not just transfer all you iPod music to your phone. It would then be powered from the USB port.

To me this sounds to simple so am I missing something?

IHN

woody – that won’t work cos

– The existing iPod has more music on it than could be stored on the phone
    – The input for the iPod is a ‘dedicated’ input, not just a Line In (the iPod can be controlled from the head unit).

The music is in ‘the cloud’, but seems daft to use data allowance to stream stuff that is sitting on the iPod already.

turbo1397
    Free Member

What make of car? Would a GROM unit work? That’s what I was thinking about for my volvo as it has no bluetooth..?

IHN

It’s a vw, what the hell’s a GROM unit?

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Can I do a little hijack please?

My car has Bluetooth for phone calls and I plug the headphone socket into its Aux to play music, plus power into the USB to stop it guzzling it’s battery using sat nav

An earlier version of Android used to run power in and music out via USB but the current one doesn’t

To cut down on cables I’d like to add Bluetooth to my Aux socket and am happy to spend a few quid, but not a fortune
    The only Bluetooth adapters I’ve seen either look nasty or cost £££ and do hands free too which I already have

Any ideas please?

Cheers

UncleFred
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these, http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_13?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=avantree+cara+ii&sprefix=Avantree+cara%2Caps%2C211

Charges from a USB socket in the 12v socket and connects to the AUX input. Can connect a couple of phones simulteaneously and streams music as well as takes calls.

Battery lasts for ages, pairs automatically with the phones once set up and doesn’t drop out.

slackboy

I’ve got the same sort of thing as UncleFred but a different brand

Kinivio BTC450

I’ve tried a couple of these and this is the best one so far. It charges from the cigarette lighter and has a passthrough for USB charging. It then plugs into the aux input of the car stereo.

I like this one as it has real buttons for play/pause forward/back. the belkin one i tried was touch sensitive but didn’t work very well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Probably stupid 'getting bluetooth on an existing car stereo' question’ is closed to new replies.