Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Probably Stupid Car Insurance Questions
  • lemonysam
    Free Member

Tedious topic I know but my ignorance in this area is absolute.

So, recently my OH’s nagging finally got too much for me and I decided to learn to drive – which apparently I can now do. Unfortunately, this is largely an academic development as her insurance company won’t insure new drivers and she has 6 months left to run.

I know literally nothing about car insurance sooooo… What are the options for getting me insured?

As I understand it, taking out my own policy would make our insurers liable if I had an accident – potentially knacking her 10 years of no claims. If we get a new policy covering both of us the cancellation fees are fairly stratospheric so it would be better just to pay off the old premiums – would that leave us in the same situation as regards two insurers? Is there a third way that’s worth considering?

Cheers!

P.s. as this is a boring subject, here’s a Tapir to liven it up:

Kahurangi

Get added to her insurance specifically as a ‘learner’ – this should be much much cheaper than a new/additional driver.

p.s. nice Tapir

matt_outandabout

What insurance company will not allow her to add another driver? Some may charge a fee, but not much.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Get added to her insurance specifically as a ‘learner’ – this should be much much cheaper than a new/additional driver.

No can do from what we can tell, she managed to sign up for a policy which specifically seems to exclude new/learner/me drivers.

lemonysam
    Free Member

What insurance company will not allow her to add another driver? Some may charge a fee, but not much.

She’s with Endsleigh but I think it must be the terms of the policy she’s on and they’re adamant that they can’t do anything for me.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Anyone?

matt_outandabout

Cancel the policy and tell them to do one then. I bet a cancellation fee would be less than a second policy…

rwamartin
    Free Member

Take a look at learner driver insurance. Runs in parallel to an existing policy. Adrian Flux did a policy for my son whilst i taught him to drive. 3 months, £200.
    Rich

lemonysam
    Free Member

Take a look at learner driver insurance.

Sorry, I probably wasn’t clear, I have now passed my test so I don’t think these apply to me.

@matt_outandabout: Cheers, the cancellation fee seemed to work out more expensive than the remaining premiums but maybe I was having a dozy moment. I’ll give them another call tonight.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Two insurance policies on the same car? Massive scope for both to sit back in the event of an accident and point at the other.

I wouldn’t have been happy with that. Cancel, get a new policy.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have been happy with that. Cancel, get a new policy.

Cheers, that’s the conclusion I kind of expected.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Passed my test a year ago but £1360 on insurance is just too much. No wonder there are so many people driving uninsured (would never do it though). Might check out this Adrian Flux bloke.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Passed my test a year ago but £1360 on insurance is just too much.

I’m 29 and living in a bit of a middle class village so I guess I’m pretty fortunate that even an individual policy would be a little more than half that. Still seems like a huge outlay for something I’ll only drive to the shops at weekends but what the hell.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Probably Stupid Car Insurance Questions’ is closed to new replies.