Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Probably been done to death, but…….
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

If I want to go 10speed on my bike, with say a 11-36 cassette.

Can I keep my existing 9 speed rings & front mech and just change the rear mech, cassette & chain?

Might possibly go 1×10 after a while if I find that the 36 at the back gives me enough gears

mboy
    Free Member

Yes, but won’t shift quite as well up front as the newer 10spd chainsets do.

Just go 1×10, you barely notice the lack of gears. With a 32 x 11-36 you’re only losing your three lowest gears and your three highest over a 22/32/44 with 11-34 setup. I was running a 32 but have just switched to a 36 and so far haven’t had to get off and walk anything, just had to get out of the saddle a tiny bit more on a couple of climbs.

Russell96

Steve are your legs packing in with only that flat stuff down South during the week, that you need the escape to the 36 at the rear?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Russ – quite possibly yes, but then again I’m spending rather a lot of time spinning my road sled around the leafy suburbs of Surrey at the moment 😉

Just don’t wanna get caught out witha lack of gears and having to grind my way up climbs, spin spinny is much better 😀

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Probably been done to death, but…….’ is closed to new replies.