Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 125 total)
  • probably been done before but who Rides a fully rigid mtb what you think? show?
  • Duffer
    Free Member

Kinda looks like a long-exposure shot of a fast moving unicyclist… Hope he was ok!

trickydisco
    Free Member

This has got me wanting a rigid fork now.

So what’s best

Exxotic. hylix, trigon these climax things on ebay?

I notice the hylix states

Axle to Crown: 45cm, can be used for 26″, 700c and 29er wheels also

What axle to crown should i be looking at for 26″ 100mm fork?

kazafaza
    Free Member

I have a couple:

26″ wheels

29er, now hub gears and whole lot of other stuff which makes it weighs a ton and a half!

Rigid bike are awesome for honing your skills or for realising how crap a rider you are 😉 SS – mainly for lack of maintenance and a bit of a pain so you know you’re still alive and crankin’

Northwind

trickydisco – Member

Exxotic. hylix, trigon these climax things on ebay?

My Exotic was ace, haven’t got a bad word to say about it. Not exactly stiff, but that worked just fine for me.

Had to get a shorter one for the new bike so replaced it with a Hylix, which is probably fine, but scares me a bit- weighs nothing at all. Good tyre clearance, 2.5 goes in no bother with a 26 inch wheel. Not yet tested it hard, but it does nothing untoward while rolling about.

Axle to crown- a 100mm suspension fork is usually about 475mm so deduct 25mm for the sag and you get 450-ish. But, there’s no real perfect answer, some folks say it should be shorter, more in line with the fork when it’s working. Also, there’s a bit of a tendancy to use big tyres which adds a bit more front height! I reckon the Hylix feels good. The 29er Exotic is 465mm so I used it as a “long travel” rigid in the Soul and 456, that worked well too. Don’t obsess on it, I would say.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Dumped a Gary fisher Rumblefish 2 29er, an on one inbred HT and a lappierre 514 and got this. The simplicity and enjoyment of riding real are fantastic.

fr0sty
    Free Member

My Kona Unit 29er with Niner fork

Ruddy bloody good.

BadlyWiredDog

This thing:

It’s a Setavento ti copy of a Marin Rocky Ridge frame run singlespeed with a Forward Components, I think, eccentric outboard bottom bracket and an On One 26″ carbon fork, flat bars, reversed stem etc to keep the front end down and a 29″ front wheel.

It weighs around 21lb and works pretty well, brilliant muddy 24-hour race bike, makes you think hard about lines up and down in the Peak and the front end rolls over a surprising amount of stuff plus lack of fork compression makes it mosty predictable. It could undoubtedly weigh a bit less, but I don’t really care.

I wouldn’t want it as an only bike round here, there are too many rocks, but given that I spent most of the 90s riding the same trails on a rigid Marin Bear Valley.

Limits? It goes less fast through rocky stuff and you have you think a little harder about lines generally, but on smoother trails it’s ace and it makes sort of medium stuff that’s a breeze on a hardtail or susser challenging again.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

BWD, liking that except for the seatclamp maybe the gusset. (obviously lots of love for that dekerf as well)

KarlE
    Free Member

My rigid singlespeed 🙂

humanbean
    Free Member

My new ish fully rigid steel 29er rides betterer and plusherer than my old front sus 26er hands down. I love it and 19.5 lbs too

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve rarely had an MTB fleet without a fully rigid in there somewhere. I love them for making easy trails fun and challenging again and for giving me less maintenance to worry about. Currently got a 29er Kona Unit single speed. It’s a bit of a wheels-on-the-ground brute compared to my previous rigid (nice and light carbon forked Bianchi) but I always enjoy riding it and it does steamroller stuff surprising well. As others have said above I wouldn’t want it as my only bike though.

BadlyWiredDog

BWD, liking that except for the seatclamp maybe the gusset.

It has a crack in the seat-tube, hence the double-bolt clamp which holds the whole area under compression and stops it spreading. The gusset? Apparently Lynskey don’t brace/gusset headtubes like that because it actually weakens the frame – or so Brant said while he was Ragley, I think – and with hindsight I’d probably get it done differently.

Oddly, I most like that the rear brake hose routing is on the righthand underside of the top-tube so it runs neatly with UK rather than continental sided brakes. Anyway, cheers, for a randomly evolved lash-up, I reckon it looks and rides pretty well 🙂

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I only own one bike with any suspension these days (hardtail) and that only gets used for coaching. I guide on a rigid 29er … people often give you ‘a look’ when they see it but it soon gets forgotton 😉

Nipper99
    Free Member

Does anyone run carbon forks on a Gryphon.

tazzymtb

Selma was sub 18lbs

Fat bike 27.8lbs

Jeff space frame 26.9lbs

tazzymtb

even satans dark minions ride rigid in the woods.

paulo6624
    Free Member

Those fat bikes look amazing but I just cant help thibking they look like hard work. Specially singlespeed tazzy ?lol
    Pretty sure I saw that bike and probably yourself at the monkey rail crossing 2 or 3 weeks back and thinking to myself, ouch

robdob
    Free Member

When your bike is this nice….

Who needs suspension? 😉

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

use it mostly for canal commutes, but ride it in the Dales sometimes. Tried it in the Dales at 20lb build, but didn’t like getting pinged all over the place, much more controllable with a bit more weight at 23/24lb

Basil

The key point is, it does everything that I want to.

amplebrew

That Dave Lloyd is lovely.

theotherjonv

There has to be one

I had a pair of exotic carbons on my inbred 29er for a few months, and while it was a different experience,very direct feeling, etc., due to an old wrist injury I found that after a while it became uncomfortable, add another 20 mins and it became painful, and add another 20 mins and I’d actually be wincing over anything significant.

Hence, it had to go, I don’t want to have my rides limited by such matters (I want my legs to give out first!)

Second what others said about climbing – for out of the saddle single speed climbing, rigid or lockout is a big advantage.

Cheezpleez

I’ve done almost all my riding on a rigid SS over the past year or more. I honestly didn’t miss suspension during the 2012 mudfest and now I’m on a 29er I honestly think I’ll be sticking with it for most local (Surrey hills) rides even when it dries out. I love it.

paulo6624
    Free Member

Hooked on this thread im now in the process if selling my st4 to fund a nice rigid and other bike lol

mattjg
    Free Member

@captain:

Thanks paulo6624. It is a Kinesis FF29. Kinesis

Was a time that rigid-SS-29er-dropper-post was an exclusive niche.

That time’s gone it seems.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

To clown wheel or not to clown wheel, that should be the question..

IMG_0301 by MartinRobbo, on Flickr

😉

trickydisco
    Free Member
    tops5
    Free Member

Currently in bits awaiting S/S parts

ontor
    Free Member

Bubbles, 1/2 way across Dartmoor;

takisawa2

My current one. SIR.9
    Best bike I’ve ever owned. Love it.

IMAG0128 by pten2106, on Flickr

Inbred (29er).
    First 29er.

IMAG0484 by pten2106, on Flickr

Inbred (26″).
    16″ Bit small. Seat wasnt always that high.

IMAG0257 by pten2106, on Flickr

24Seven (26″)
    My first SS. Bit harsh (for steel).

IMG_5359 by pten2106, on Flickr

Stoner
    Free Member

hardly ever ride with suspension anymore.

jameso

Off out all day on this in a mo..

Rejigged spec as the other one has gears and currently a rare strip-down sort out. Rode a nicely laid-back and fun-handling 29″ HT for a while locally not long ago, good to get some perspective back after being on this kind of bike for so long. It was fun, I went faster in places but overall, just different. I was happy to get back on the rigid bike.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Dirty MrSchmancy right where he should be.

[/url] Untitled by bikebouy, on Flickr[/img]

nodrog2
    Free Member

A couple of rigid bikes out in the hills. Love the simplicity of the rigid. Still ride suspension as well though.

scotroutes

Just back from a trip on my (now rigid) El Mariachi.

Feels like a different bike now – in a good way!

IMAG0408 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

maurizio
    Free Member

My one and only bike – have yet to find anything i cant do on it 🙂 26″ too 😈

IMG_3030

(sorry i cant work the damn photo thing)

6079smithw
    Free Member

Was gonna get a sus fork but finding it comfy enough as is

trickydisco
    Free Member

Mate lent me his explosif for asthon court yesterday

This thing absolutely flies around those trails! IT’s got those crazy maxlight tyres on with minimal tread

I really want one now, Saw a frame on ebay this morning and went in 10 minutes 🙁

nordofjura
    Free Member

My el Mariachi. I just like it if it rattles and shakes. And I love the low maintenance, low tech level approach – it still works perfect and does it for me.

DSC02793 von nordofjura auf Flickr]

Paceman
    Free Member

My rigid singletrack slayer; comes in at 25-26lbs depending on what tyres I’m running. Perfect second bike for winter / mud…

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘probably been done before but who Rides a fully rigid mtb what you think? show?’ is closed to new replies.