Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Probably a stupid hi-fi question
  • nedrapier

I’ve got a denon mini system in the kitchen. I’ve got a cheapy Lepy amp in the garage, with some speakers and bluetooth thingummy for playing music from the phone.

If I wanted to listen to DAB radio, could I use the line out/tape out RCA plugs from the Denon, and run a cable round to the Lepy?

porlus
    Free Member

What phone is it. If its a smartphone can you not install Tunein Radio. Has DAB stations via internet and loads more.

gobuchul
    Free Member

You could.

You could also use a radio player app and use your phone.

nedrapier

Yup, but the bband isn’t 100% all the time, and when you’re going from room to room (integral garage), it’s nice not to have one set of speakers 15 seconds behind the other.

No issues amplifying the line out, then?

porlus
    Free Member

Could you get a lead long enough to go into the garage from the denon ?
    What connections are in the back of the “lepy”. RCA to 3.5mm male connection should work I guess.

Would a wifi extender be an option, or is your internet connection flaky most of the time.

raymeridians
    Free Member

My Dad’s been doing exactly that from the lounge to the study for years with no problems.

nedrapier

integral garage, so a hole in the wall and 60cm interconnect would do it.

It’s not flaky most of the time, there’s just times when it is, and it’s annoying. And it’s also annoying to go from room to room and with one set of speakers on a delay because of the buffering on the stream.

nedrapier

great, cheers ray! 😀

Another problemette off the list!

slowoldman

Is the Lepy a power amp or pre/power (i.e. does it have it’s own volume control)? The tape out from the Denon is not controlled by the volume control on the Denon (it’s a fixed output) so you need some means of controlling the volume in the garage.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Yes you can. A good old fashioned line out/Line in connection and a long cable is a far better ‘whole house audio’ solution for many situations.

I’ve done multi room streaming players and even if the sync works it’s more of a faff than people admit to open your phone, find the app, find the station set up the sync etc etc. The new house has far few players and a number of in wall line level cables.

Some are about 10m long – as long as you avoid running them alongside 240v cables they’re usually fine. For longer runs – >100m or more – you can use CAT5 network cable with a couple of baluns like these (cheaper options exist)

nedrapier

Cheers again. Bit of a “why didn’t I think of that before?” moment, after a while looking at volume controlled speaker switches and stuff.

Amp is one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007VMA6OU Not bad at all for £17:30!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Probably a stupid hi-fi question’ is closed to new replies.