Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Probably a stupid crown race question…
  • wwaswas

Looking at the on-one carbon forks for my Puffin as;

1) they’ll save a bit of weight
    2) have a bit more twang
    3) use the same hub
    4) have the same offset

If I currently have a Hope EC44/40 Type H headset and am running a tapered steerer do I need one of these;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-15-headset-reducer-crown-converter/

to run a standard 1 1/8″ steerer with the existing bearings and crown race?

letmetalktomark

Yes, thats my understanding.

Having used one of those Hope adapters on an old pair of straight steerer’d Reba forks I, personally, would have reservations fitting one to a carbon steerer.

Mine took a fair whack to fit it and a fairly reasonable amount of work to remove.

If I fitted one to a straight carbon steerer I wouldn’t want to remove it.

I didn’t think my Puffin forks felt particularly heavy. Will you save much weight?

wwaswas

cheers, was wondering about slotting the adapter if it was a very tight fit – I’ll see how I get on.

Should save about 600grammes according to my ukfat search and the on-one site.

Which should cover me switching the current Ti seatpost for a dropper as I’m fed up ramming my privates into the back of the saddle on descents 🙁

TimP
    Free Member

We arent 😀

benpinnick

Would it not be best to save the hassle and fit an EC44/30 lower cup instead?

tomhoward

To be fair, that isn’t the most stupid crown race related question on here…

boxelder

What benpinnick said – piece of mind.

wwaswas

I can’t see that Hope do a EC44/30?

I’m happy to run either a crown race that’s huge (the way that on-one do) or the adapter, tbh – I can’t see that there’s much difference between the two.

Complete new lower headset for £30 seems unnecessary?

northernmatt

I’ve used the adapter rather than a new headset cup as it’s less faff and if I do ever get a tapered fork I don’t have to change the headset cup, again. Can’t comment on how they fit to carbon forks but mine went on to my bombers okay but took a fair whack to seat properly as letmetalktomark says.

boxelder

The section of a carbon steerer where a crown race goes should be well overbuilt – it’ll be fine. Mine went on OK onto Reba steerer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Probably a stupid crown race question…’ is closed to new replies.