Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Probably a silly question – Shimano/Sram with Campagnolo
  • barca
    Free Member

Can I use a rear wheel with Shimano freehub/ Sram cassette and Campagnolo rear mech or is the shifting on the mech (Campag shifters as well) and/or spacing on the Sram cassette different to the Campag. mech movement?

Just for clarity, Campag shifters, Campag rear mech, Mavic Ksyrium rear wheel. Shimano freehub, Sram cassette.

ojom
    Free Member

I am not a mechanic but i dont think this is a problem. Should work fine.

schmiken

It won't work well, the spacings are different. It will kinda work for about half the cassette, and then go completely rubbish.

ojom
    Free Member

If thats the case then its lucky i aint the mechanic! phew.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Campag 9 speed works with a Shimano 9 speed cassette

I know cos I have done it yes the spacings are differant but it still works ( better shifting than with a campag cassette tbh)

barca
    Free Member

10 speed just to make things even more complicated 🙁
    Thanks for the replies so far though.
    I'm looking at spending about £400 on road wheels. There seems to be loads of choice in the 2nd hand market for Shimano/Sram but not much for Campagnolo.

oldgit
    Free Member

You can get a freehub converter doodah if the price warrants one.

crazy-legs

Freehub conversion or you can (for a price!) get Marchismo sprockets which thread onto a Shimano freehub but have the spacing for Campag. Or you could just do the decent thing and ditch the Campag for a proper set of gears. 😉

They can usually be persuaded to work. Not as well as full Shimano or full Campag but usually they'll work well enough to get by on.

barca
    Free Member

I dislike the Campag stuff enough as it is without having to put up with bodging it. Looks like I'm stuck with the stuff. I can't afford to change it all over to Sham or Shimano.
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Probably a silly question – Shimano/Sram with Campagnolo’ is closed to new replies.