Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Probable death – mixing wheels content
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

So, the wife wants to use my turbo to get fitter as it’s convinent and not in a gym which she hates.

The problem arises from a suitable bike, she doesn’t want to use my road bike as it looks very uncomfortable, so the other option is my rigid 29’er, but that’s set up with tubeless mud tyres that’ll make a bit of a racket and wear out very quickly – if they’ll even fit at all.

The only spare wheel I have is a road one, if I were to fit a suitable tyre to that and fit it to the back of the 29’er would the 5mm difference in hub width (130 v 135) be an issue or will the dropouts clamp up sufficiently for it to go on the turbo?

My ideal solution is a steel winter road bike, but she’s not having that.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

as it looks very uncomfortable

Sounds like you want a cheap massively wide mattress of a gel saddle and (for ease) seat post tbh as that’s generally what “looks ” uncomfortable

steve_b77
    Free Member

Can’t change the post as it’s aero /semi ISP

atlaz
    Free Member

I can see brand new 29er rear wheels on google for 50 quid or so. Why not just get a new wheel or get one off ebay?

retro83
    Free Member

What about getting her one of these instead?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aerobic-Training-Cycle-Exercise-Bike-Fitness-Cardio-Workout-Home-Cycling-Machine-/110937163314?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_ExerciseFitness_ExerciseBikes_JN&hash=item19d45ec632

£120

Second hand ‘Spinning’ branded bikes do come up pretty cheaply on occasion as well.

Presumably you’re going to want to use your own bike at some point, at which time swapping the wheels back and forth becomes a massive arse ache.

TiRed

Can’t you space out the rear of your road wheel with a washer on each side? It only has to be tight, you don’t need brakes. You might also want a cheap or turbo specific rear tyre.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Just a gonna bung a normal road tyre on, got a fair few part worn ones.

I’ll give it a go tomorrow and see what happens.

Not big on getting another wheel, already got 3 sets

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Probable death – mixing wheels content’ is closed to new replies.