Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Pro2 Pawl spring – any alternative if ones broken?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Stripped my hub today and put new bearings in (hope tools are ace – cheers si@18) – all went well so thought i would degrease the freehub and clean it up – one spring snapped on the way out 🙁

Any alternative to use if i can’t get one before tomorrow? Will it work ok on 3 pawls or am i being a tard?

cynic-al
    Free Member

you should be fine

racing_ralph
    Free Member

cool – lets go ride 🙂

lank45
    Free Member

won’t work correctly, mine broke in les gets and resulted in poor engagement then the rest failed too. Risk it, worse that will happen is you’ll be stuck when the rest break!

cynic-al
    Free Member

only 1 pawl engages at any one time. Other springs may be on their way out though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am not sure you are right al – I thought all the pawls engage at the same time – I think thats what hope told me about my big un hub. One pawl didn’t engage properly and the freehub slipped writing off the rest of the pawls and the ratchet ring

cynic-al
    Free Member

IT is what I’ve read & been told, may be wrong it seems!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be 100% certain either – perhaps its different with different hubs?

cynic-al
    Free Member

aye

racing_ralph
    Free Member

It broke due to lukeb-esque ham fistedness not fatigue

Anthony
    Free Member

On the Pro2 all 4 pawls engage at the same time giving 24 engagement points over one rotation.

On the Pro2 Singlespeed/trials hub however the pawls are offset in pairs giving 48 points over one rotation.

bassspine
    Free Member

?could you cut down a biro spring as an emergency till-the-shops-open fix?

z1ppy

BS, that fine for XC hubs the Pro II’s have a bent piece of metal that is the ‘spring’

I’d risk running 3, to allow you to ride, as long as you get some on order soon.

BTW, they don’t seem to like being taken out, I had one fall to piece when removed.

bassspine
    Free Member

ta Z, useful to know

racing_ralph
    Free Member

All soretd for £2 (4 springs mr saviour at 18bikes again)

New bearings and new springs – feels like a new hub again 🙂

smiffkin

I’ve just had exactly the same problem and I’ve just done a 30 miler without problems. Enjoy your ride!! Just order some more springs asap.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

racing_ralph – Member

All soretd for £2 (4 springs mr saviour at 18bikes again)

New bearings and new springs – feels like a new hub again [:)]

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Pro2 Pawl spring – any alternative if ones broken?’ is closed to new replies.