Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 392 total)
  • Pro XC Tweaks
  • njee20
    Free Member

I remember seeing a special edition Madone after Lance won yet another tour, and they were offering it in 2 versions, a climbing version and an aero version with a teardrop seatube. The aero one wasn’t on the limit despite being something silly like £8k.

You thinking of the 2006 Madone SSLx with the OCLV Boron frame?:

Frame was c900g, but it came with clinchers, so still 1400g or so, huge price tag basically for exclusivity. We sold one, I had (and still have) the ‘standard’ OCLV 110 variant, same groupset, alu wheels, and there’s not all that much in it weight wise!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Think it had more of a shape to the seatube, cutout for the rear wheel. And it was brown/gold (probably the model in the pic below), and had LaLa’s signature on it. Then it was a while ago, so I’m probably mistaking some other bits of bikes in there.

http://www.cyclingpros.com/images/Trek%202004%20Lance%20Gold.jpg

It was ugly.

njee20
    Free Member

Think it had more of a shape to the seatube, cutout for the rear wheel. And it was brown/gold (probably the model in the pic below), and had LaLa’s signature on it. Then it was a while ago, so I’m probably mistaking some other bits of bikes in there.

Up until 2006 they did an aero Madone, and the Madone SL, with a round seat tube. There was nothing special about the ‘aero’ one, and all the special editions, including the gold one up there, were based on the SL frame.

Aero one:

mrblobby
    Free Member

This Trek Bear Witness thing, assuming it’s the big reveal of this…

.. or something else?

njee20
    Free Member

New Top Fuel?

New Madone?

All of the above I assume!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ah I’d just seen the Batty quote but looks like there’s ones by Mollema and Rast too so you might be right.

Edit… rather like that new Madone ^^^

nickdavies

This Trek Bear Witness thing, assuming it’s the big reveal of this…

From what I can see on the images; bolt through bladed fork, rim brakes, knobblies, what looks like a road bike frame, I reckon it’s a new CX bike.

Could be a few different models released together though. That Madone looks loverly!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Saw the bars on the Trek during the dauphiné earlier, look like the canyon ones

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well whatever it is they’re being pretty modest about it…

There’s innovation, and then there are products that disrupt the course of an entire industry.

I now reckon njee’s right with an across the board update.

adsh
    Free Member

32er?

njee20
    Free Member

26″ I reckon. Next big thing!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Na, it’s a 28.2 aero full susser with social media controlled electric motor BOOST function…

molgrips
    Free Member

Garmin should do a Strava and social media integrated GPS. With voice recognition. So you can tweet about your ride as you ride, with links to your segment time!

It could detect if you’ve crashed, and ask you if you want to tweet something. Or if you land a particularly big jump and don’t crash, it could also ask you.

njee20
    Free Member

The front end on the new Madone looks really really clean – no exposed cables at all. Like the Speed Concept.

aracer
    Free Member

A mainstream bike, with mainstream parts. I built up my road bike in 2008 for ~£2k. It is under the UCI weight limit.

tomhoward

Interesting that they’ve given up on the under BB brake positioning on the ‘Madone’

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Interesting that they’ve given up on the under BB brake positioning on the ‘Madone’

Not sure if related, but Cervelo have done a lot of work on airflow around brakes in a “normal” position as mechanics hate working on “hidden” brakes!

njee20
    Free Member

Whilst it looked awesome, it also meant the brakes felt shit too – they just got all the spray, so people spent loads on a bike that felt a bit poo!

Think I’d still rather have an Emonda, even though the Madone may make more sense. Could be really interesting if they make it more comfy than the usual aero frames with the IsoSpeed whatnot.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Wasn’t it Simon Smart who also did a lot of work on the aero benefits of a hidden front brake and found there wasn’t any, hence why the Scott Plasma and Giant Trinity didn’t have them.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

At the risk of taking it back towards XC ( 😉 ) isn’t that the whole idea of the decoupler? It’s not suspension, as such, more about reducing rider fatigue.

IIRC that was the aim of things like the Scott Endorphin back in the day.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, as TINAS observed the movement is in the seat tube. Certainly be interested to ride one, but I don’t find my Superfly fatiguing over XC race distance, surprised it’s an issue.

DanW
    Free Member

The front end on the new Madone looks really really clean

True, but fugly headtube shape. Lots of aspects look fugly to me actually. Rear brake also looks a quarter hidden which is interesting. Scott should have a new Foil at Le Tour apparently too- should be interesting to see what happens there.

I like the look of the BMC MTB frames in terms of function but the paint jobs on the Trek Factory bikes are gorgeous! Don’t Scott already claim something like 10mm compliance in SDS stays on the Scale?

Edit: Scale apparently has 5mm vertical compliance in the rear end

tomhoward

Closer inspection of the seat/Top tube join looks like a decoupler… But for the size of the seat tube?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

What brakes are they, I can’t see any cables on the back either? Possibly hydraulic?

DanW
    Free Member

Since we are discussing the Madone a little….

Maguras?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It might be* very functional, but that Madone isn’t pretty!

This on the other hand is off-the-chart cool!

*it had better be with looks like that

mrblobby
    Free Member

You can see the cable on that brake on the Madone, so not hydraulic. My guess would be Trek’s own.

dirtyrider
    Free Member
    DanW
    Free Member

Back on Pro XC tweaks… I hadn’t realised until now that the U23 WC XCO at Nove Mesto was won on the latest Chinese 29er frame. All these fancy frames and the Chinese stuff can still get results with the right legs 😀

munrobiker
    Free Member

Mechanics don’t like working on hidden brakes so we’ll expose the brakes a bit then we’ll shove all the cables through the bar, stem and headtube?

I don’t like their thinking.

Northwind

mrblobby – Member

There’s innovation, and then there are products that disrupt the course of an entire industry.

EPO?

mashiehood
    Free Member

It all about the legs, the bike is just a tool!

njee20
    Free Member

Going OT (again…), think we passed you on Saturday Mashie – were you coming down the Tarmac road through Denbies about midday? Someone on an Open hard tail came down!

aracer
    Free Member

The marketing and branding doesn’t make it any faster.

DanW
    Free Member

The marketing and branding doesn’t make it any faster.

It’s bloody ugly too and most importantly, it isn’t red, so I just can’t understand how it could have been a winning bike!

mashiehood
    Free Member

Going OT (again…), think we passed you on Saturday Mashie – were you coming down the Tarmac road through Denbies about midday? Someone on an Open hard tail came down!

Yep, that was me – in a mad rush to get back to an angry wife. Very late home as I extended the ride!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Oh dear, just been handed an Open MTB frame in the LBS, I wasn’t impressed when he grabbed it out of the box as I walked in!!! I really really didn’t want to see that! I couldn’t believe how light it was, lovely finish on it.

adsh
    Free Member

But 72degree head angle 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

My Salsa is 71. It’s fantastic.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 392 total)

The topic ‘Pro XC Tweaks’ is closed to new replies.