Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Pro road riders – poor bike set up
  • singletracksurfer

Well that’s what it looks like. How come there legs don’t look anywhere near fully extended? What gives?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Why would you want fully extended legs when riding your bike?

scaredypants

so your hips can wiggle seductively ?

crikey
    Free Member

You shouldn’t have your leg fully extended, as anyone familiar with bike fitting knows.

glupton1976
    Free Member

most power is produced away from the end of a muscles range – why go out of the good power range?

simondbarnes

A fully extended leg at the bottom of the pedal stroke is really inefficient. A bend of approx 30 degrees is far better.

singletracksurfer

‘near’

straight leg with heel on pedal I’ve been told. So small bend in the knee.

I think it just doesn’t look as straight as I imagined it would is what I was getting at.

crikey
    Free Member

Well that’s what it looks like. How come there legs don’t look anywhere near fully extended?

Specsavers.

singletracksurfer

Ah thanks crikey. That’s probably why. Noticed how they were on the nose of the saddles too.

Those chav’s on shiney full sus saracans riding through town are in the know then 😉

glupton1976
    Free Member

Seat height is determined several ways now and has developed over the years. Saddle fore/aft has a major effect on saddle height. New motion capture methods are very helpful for determining correct saddle height. The angle of the knees depends on methods applied. If you use center of the knee, it averages about 30 degrees, but if you are using the Lateral femoral condyle center using a goniometer from the Trocantor to Femoral Condyle to malleolus/lateral ankle bone for road fitting metrics, it’s best at around 38 to 40 degrees.

Interesting and complete and utter nonsense. Well perhaps nonsense isnt the correct word, piss poor practice might be better.

There are a few papers out there that show eyeballing a measurement is much more accurate than using a gonoimeter. (A goniometer being a protractor with arms.) How would you ensure accuracy when measuring the centre of the greater trochanter, femoral condyles and malleolus? That’s just pish. Pish with a 50% error rate.

TiRed

I’ve found a goniometer to be reproducible. Have you tried? And I set at 25 degrees. In fact I have a template with ideal arm and leg bends and a plumb line.

But 40 degrees. Phew!

glupton1976
    Free Member

Being a physio I have used many goniometers. Their accuracy inter-rater reliability is shite. Much better to eyeball a measurement. There is no way on this earth that they can accurately measure 40 degrees using a goniometer.

crikey
    Free Member

I’d suggest that with a fixed foot, using a clipless pedal system, and a fixedish pelvis, sitting on a saddle, the accuracy of their measurements, in this specific case, will be better than eyeballing.

Whether this has any bearing on the actual fit produced is still in question.

grahamg
    Free Member

My old-school eyeball fit definitely trumped the one with the angle measuring.

Just realised that is a completely worthless addition to this thread. I’m a receptionist, random boredom will result in these kinds of posts. Sorry, I’ll try and keeping the internet flatulance to facebook.

Onzadog
    Free Member

From what I’ve experinced, dynamic bike fit gives vastly different results from static bike fit. I think he used some software called spearfish to track the movement and measure the angles.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Pro road riders – poor bike set up’ is closed to new replies.