Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Pro Porridge Practices, Please?
  • SamB
    Free Member

I’ve started eating porridge for breakfast. Quaker Oats microwaveable stuff. It’s quite nice, but a bit bland.

Are Quaker Oats The Porridge To Have, or are there better options out there?

What can I add to porridge to make it a bit tastier? Was thinking of maybe a 1/2 banana sliced over the top after cooking?

carlphillips
    Free Member

normal oats (cheaper) microwaved in water, splash of milk at the end, then sliced nana or maple syrup or ground linseed…

thekingisdead
    Free Member

2nd the cheapest oats possible. For maximum health benefits you want unprocessed oats (fnarr fnarr)

I just sprinkle a few raisins in the mix. Or protein powder :-/

grahamg
    Free Member

I add raisins, pumpkin/sunflower seed mix and a spoonful of jam. I know it’s wrong, but it tastes so right. Regular scots oats, with 50/50 soya milk/water soaked overnight in the pan just so that it cooks a little quicker.

theotherjonv

splash (teaspoon is all you need) of cream after cooking. And then raisins or dried cranberries on top.

_tom_
    Free Member

I use co op oats, with 50/50 milk/water. Bit of sweetener and then raisins, pumpkin seeds and flaked almonds when its cooked. Chopped ‘nana is good as well. Sometimes add cinnamon and chopped apple. Or chocolate peanut butter protein powder 🙂

andybach
    Free Member

Third of a bowl of Quaker oats – top up with milk – 3.30 sec in the microwave – stir in some Coed Llandegla honey and chop up some fruit – raspberries or kiwi fruit are best 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

Stay away from the 2 minute microwave ones, get the whole rolled oat ones: They are better for you. 5.5 minutes in the microwave.

I add cinnamon and blueberrys to mine, oh and maybe banana sometimes. Apple works well too.

A dash of natural yoghurt works well on the top after cooking.

soobalias
    Free Member

cheapest oats, water, microwave, eat.

why are you eating porridge? The answer to that is key to guiding your breakfast to a less bland conclusion.

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

I use organic rolled oats just microwaved in full fat milk ,sometimes with banana ,also in the summer same oats uncooked with natural yogurt and red fruits

DaRC_L

cheapest oats, water, eat.

is according to my 1930’s cookbook not porridge it is gruel (as in Oliver!)

To be porridge you need milk (or so it sez)

singletrackmind

Tesco Finest Porridge Oats.
    Make with 50 / 50 water milk then add
    Golden Syrup
    Nutella
    Brown Sugar
    Raisons and Nutella
    Nutella and Bananna
    Cinnamon and Apple
    Tesco MapleNut crunchy cereal
    On your birthday make with Chocolate Milk Shake. yummy.

scotroutes

Grrr! For a start,it’s spelled PORAGE!!!!!

hammyuk
    Free Member

Ready Brek – milk, 2mins in the microwave – simplez.
    Sometimes add dried fruit before cooking in winter otherwise a teaspoon of brown sugar stirred in and a slight sprinkle on the top.

soobalias
    Free Member

50% extra water and 25% less oats for gruel

🙂

dannybgoode

Microwave? Heresy of the worst kind.

Cup of porrige oats, 450ml of water 200ml of milk and slowly heated until of the desired consistancy.

Readybrek has had all the nutritional goodness of oats removed and then some added back in to look good on the packet – avoid…

Cheers

Danny B

Del

half cup of oats, cup of milk of your choice, lob in some frozen mixed summer fruit (freezer cabinet). nuke for 3mins, stir, one more minute. if it’s a bit thick after lob in some more milk.

_tom_
    Free Member

Also dont get the instant oats, they have loads of sugar and other shit added. The ingredients should just be rolled/cut oats I believe!

Oh yeah, is there any difference between the more expensive oats and my £1.60 big bag of co op ones? I suspect not but willing to pay a bit extra if its worth it given how long a bag seems to last!

dazz
    Free Member

grind up oats, add 250 ml of milk, 1 banana, 3 or 4 strwberries, chuck them all in a blender for a 30 ish seconds, drink, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

50g Sainsbury’s taste the difference porridge oats with 2/3 water – 1/3 milk and nuke for 4 minutes. Dessert spoon of ground linseeds with fruit of choice (currently strawberries) and topped off with a squirt of agave nectar.

weeksy

mash the banana and throw in some raisins.

peterfile
    Free Member

Where do Scott’s Oats fall in the scale of good oats/bad oats?

I eat 3 bowls a day, great snack.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Oatmeal of Alford if you can find it. Any pinhead if not
    Night before a handful in a pan with 50/50 milk water mix and left overnight(it’s called steeping). How much oat/liquid depends on your preferred consistency
    3 mins gentle simmer next morning, serve with milk and whatever else – i use honey.

bainbrge

Bigbutslimmerbloke I was just looking in my porridge drawer to check out the pinhead from Alford, truly excellent with water only.

However, the best is the organic coarse oatmeal from Golspie Mill. That’s the good stuff. Rolled oats are for porridge beginners only.

bearnecessities

I used to have cheapo oats for years, then bought Quaker one day. Tasted a world better; no idea why. No added ingredients listed, but taste sweet?! Nice though.

Oh, and microwaves are evil 😉

Haze

Honey, blueberries

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Cheap and cheerful oats here with muscavado sugar and double cream.

_tom_
    Free Member

Microwaved tastes exactly the same to me, what am I doing wrong or is this the usual stw food snobbishness?

bearnecessities

I just don’t trust them. Uneducated and ill informationed I’m sure, but just spidy senses tell me they are witchcraft.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

Tesco Finest Porridge Oats.
    Make with 50 / 50 water milk then add
    Golden Syrup
    Nutella
    Brown Sugar
    Raisons and Nutella
    Nutella and Bananna
    Cinnamon and Apple
    Tesco MapleNut crunchy cereal
    On your birthday make with Chocolate Milk Shake. yummy.

would sir like some oats with his sugar?

llama

the powdery stuff can be done in the microwave

but whole oats have to be done in a pan with lots of stirring so that you get a creamy texture. Done this way is nicer IMO – it’s not the same in a microwave as the oats remain too intact.

my preference is 1 oats 1 milk 2 water for ratios. Pinch of salt while cooking. Then with whatever sweat things are around.

(edit) i’m betting its like risotto in the way the starches break down better if you stir

martinhutch

Mornflake oats, sliced banana, raisins. Mmmmm.

_tom_
    Free Member

Another tip is to make up a vanilla protein shake and substitute that in for the milk/water.

arrpee
    Free Member

At this time of year, it’s got to be raspberries and creme fraiche.

thejesmonddingo

Rolled oats cooked in 50/50 1% milk and water,then add low fat natural yoghurt and maple syrup,yum.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Pinch of salt and Smoky tabasco

When you get that, then spring onion with sesame oil and soya sauce

starrman82
    Free Member

Rolled Oats 50/50 Semi skimmed/water, Honey, Prunes. You should have known.

Clover

Proper oats, water, aga person me.

But if I ride to work I like the breakfast smoothie from the coffee shop opposite: oats, yogurt, milk, banana and assorted pink fruit whizzed in a blender.

Jamie
    Free Member

To hot for porridge at the mo, switched to weetabix.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Where do Scott’s Oats fall in the scale of good oats/bad oats?I eat 3 bowls a day, great snack.

you must be shitting rope !

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Pro Porridge Practices, Please?’ is closed to new replies.