Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Pro Pedal – Anyone flick it on at the start of a ride and leave it there?
  • Netdonkey

As above. your views greatfully received

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

no, I check that it is out and then don’t move it…

valleydaddy
    Free Member

My Zesty has propedal on all the time and it seems fine, what are you trying to find out??

mrlard
    Free Member

on at the bottom of the climb and off at the top. I have forgot to do that a few time and the first bit hit with the rear end tends to blow it off anyway 😀

z1ppy

Never turn it off here…

fbk
    Free Member

I have propedal on for most of the ride (Whyte E-120). I just take it off for long technical DHs or if there’s a lot of small high frequency stuff. I forget about it most of the time tbh.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

It depends on the suspension platform. I have a 2006 Heckler with an RP 23, single pivot and generally leave the pro pedal on in position 2 for most riding and flick it open bigger faster terrain, I find it works lovely. My wife has a 2006 Horst link Turner 5 spot with a DHX air of the same age (7 clicks pro pedal adjust) and she leaves the pro pedal wide open all the time relying on the more sofisticated suspension design, also works super lovely.
    Horses for courses.

racefaceec90

have a 10 anthem x2 with an RP2 shock.have never used the propedal mode once since getting the bike in october (and that includes road sections) 😀

steveh

i’ve got a marin quad 140 and leave it on all the time. makes it a bit less smooth on small bumps but feels better through the whole stroke. When i get it pushed it’ll be better still but for now this will do.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

’07 Anthem here (89mm rear travel). Used to ride with PP on compulsively all the time, only ever flicking it off for steep technical, rocky sections (it allowed the back end to ‘squat’ more). I also used to run about 5% sag too. Then I got an Orange 5 and learned to love rear suspension. I now run the Anthem with 10% sag and PP off pretty much all the time, only turning it on for roads / fire roads.

I think it depends on what you’re coming from? I’d ridden hardtails for 20 years + and rear suspension just felt too soft for me initially.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Orange Five wide open unless fireroad climbing and even then only if I’m tired and fancy getting out of the saddle a bit. Never been a fan, makes bikes feel a bit wrong tbh.

SP with a bit chain growth means you get a much more natural feeling pro-pedal effect when you’re going for it anyway.

SOAP
    Free Member

On for peddling (like a pro) and off for rolling with no brakes for as long as poss 🙂

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve come from years of hardtail riding so it always feels soft. I leave propedal on permanently unless it is a really long rough descent. So the default is on and occasionally off.

Spesh Stumpy FSR

5lab

its in a bit of an awkward place on my gemini so I leave it be. no idea if it’s on or off

emac65
    Free Member

Think the 3 settings on a Trance/Anthem are a waste of time,it’s either full on doing what it’s meant for(fire road or roads) or fully off letting suspension do what it’s meant to do.The Maestro set-up is very good though..

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

all the time. mostly forget to switch it off. doh!

Netdonkey

The reason I ask is that I have moved from a hardtail to a 575. I get the idea of having the full travel on the big downhill stuff, but I use the bike for all disciplines so on my local singletrack which can be quite technical I find the pro pedal firms things up a bit, even when descending. I suppose I am wondering whether the liberal use of pro pedal is compensating for a lack of suspension setup.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Since I put the longer fork on my TranceX, I run more sag (35%-40%) on the rear suspension to avoid a high-BB feeling. The pro-pedal does seem to reduce the extra “wallow” in this setup – useful for pedally sections.

I still turn it off for longer downhills, though when I forget to I barely notice. So I probably could leave it on all the time.

Scamper
    Free Member

Stumpjumper here. Again, pro pedal on all the time unless long fast downhill sections.

Also on slow technical stuff anything more than 3 clicks from firmest rebound on open or pro-pedal its just too bouncy.

mrmo
    Free Member

I have it on most of the time, bike is faster semi locked out if I remember will turn it off for silly climbs and decent descents

D0NK

RM etsx70 on for most stuff, off for downs or where I want extra traction (silly steep/loose climbs, very rocky sections)
    Dont get full travel with it on, too bobby with it off.

stumpy01

Used to leave the Triad shock on my Stumpjumper on Propedal most of the time.
    Would open it occasionally, but while it made a difference I am not sure my meagre talents got me to the edge of the ‘pro-pedal’ capabilities.
    Used to use the lockout quite often for road climbs though.

Now with the Brain shock I’ve started using it a few clicks from firm. Fully firm seems a bit to on-off for me.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

depends if your a fatty bum bum or not….i can see for the larger framed man that the pro pedal wont be as efficient in pro pedal than that of a light framed man….as the weight difference means it will probably squish down a fair bit anyways….

im quite light and right light, having propedal on for climbing for me is almost like locking out the rear end, it really does stiffen it up, if i have it in propedal for rocky descending it still feels like a hardtail…

so open for every descent, propedal for climbing and the likes….

which is what its designed for surely?

Ticklinjock

I have a Trek Remedy and at first used the propedal in the on position for ascents and the off position for descents. Lately I’ve used it mainly in the off position. I found technical/rough climbs are better in this position as the lumpy bits knock more speed off when the propedal is on.

mokl
    Free Member

I’m still trying to get the optimum set up for my 575 rear shock, but FWIW I switch it on and off all the time when riding. The pro-pedal jacks the back end up quite significantly (I believe the 575 frame is designed to optimise this) which makes it very firm when engaged. If you look down you will see the shock “sits up” much more in line with the dogbone when the pro-pedal is on. I tend to engage it for fire roads and long or steep climbs, but then mostly leave it off.

mokl
    Free Member

Re. the above – I meant seatstays, not dogbone!

ebygomm
    Free Member

Specialized stumpjumper fsr, pro pedal on nearly all the time. Turn it off for longer descents if I remember

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Do you get full travel with pro pedal turned on? I assumed not, and if this is the case then am I right in assuming most people are riding bikes that have too much travel for their needs?

ltheisinger
    Free Member

For me it’s….

On = Up

Off = Down

julians
    Free Member

I have a 2006 DHX air 5, and leave the propedal set to about 5 clicks in from fully off (there are 15 clicks total from off to on), this is on a 2005 enduro. To be honest I’ve tried it fully on an dfully off and I cant tell a huge amount of difference , maybe my shock is broken.

Two friends with 2010 enduros and the Rp2 shock, switch it on for fireroad/road climbs and of for everything else.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

@ Calamity James,

You still get full travel with pro pedal on, it is a low speed compression damping switch. It firms up the potential to wallow and bob when pedalling out of the saddle but the rear wheel still gets out of the way of bigger high speed hits, such as roots and rock and the like.

damo2576
    Free Member

I used to turn on for climbs and off for the rest. But now just forget and never sure whether on or off.

S_J
    Free Member

I’ve just changed my 08 575 for a 2011 575, I’ve not ridden the new version yet but the same comments apply no doubt. As Mokl says, the 575 geometry is designed to be altered when pro-pedal is switched off i.e. when open it slackens off the geometry and the bike sits into the travel much more. I find climbing is significantly harder on the 575 with PP off especially getting around tight switchbacks with the slacker angles. In short I switch between PP on the 575 much more than any other bike I’ve owned. I’ve also got a Giant anthem which has the same shock and you’d struggle to tell the difference between the two settings. On my old Stumpjumper I’d just leave in it PP all the time. So the platform does make all the difference.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

lots of broken suspension systems around if you need propedal…

mrmo
    Free Member

Turnerguy we have had this discussion before, i suggest you learn to understand how other people ride and you will understand what propedal is about. And before you spout some crap about turners being wonderful they are not. They are as prone as any other platform.

Simple test take a bike sprint it hard, with pro-pedal on and pro-pedal off. And i mean sprint, not some in the saddle wind it up, i mean out of the saddle big ring full bore roadie style.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Thanks for clarifying Jef, never knew full travel could be obtained using PP…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have played around with my propedal – doesn’t make any odds or makes it worse…

where’s the evidence that Turners are as prone – don’t think I have ever seen a comment from someone who uses it on a dw-link turner.

propedal is a patch 🙂

It might be beneficial if standing in the big ring, but that is not really a mountain style of riding, is it?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends how fast you want to sprint, or if your prepared to wait for gravity to give you speed for free?

FWIW I found downsides on and off, on it sprints better, off it grips better.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Marin Quad 140 here with an RP23 shock. Tend to have it set on mk3 pro-pedal and use it when i’m on the road or climbing (usually with the forks wound down) for the rest of the time when on singletrack or general off-road getting along i’ll leave it wide open.
    Mind you, i do tend to have the shock sag set towards the minimum 12.5mm setting rather than the maximum 15mm of the reccommended range (according to the sticker on the frame).
    I think the comment about rider weight is pertinent also, i’m only 60kg so when i use the PP it can effectively turn the rear end into a soft-tail bike.

Also have an older Mount Vision that came with a Float RL shock and that stays open all the time unless on tarmac, mind you that climbs like the proverbial fat nurse compared to the 140…

mrmo
    Free Member

It might be beneficial if standing in the big ring, but that is not really a mountain style of riding, is it?

and why not? how else do you get from point a to point b quickly? stick it in the granny ring then get off and have a chat in the middle of the track?

maybe i am old school but a bike is for riding from a to b and not for strapping to a car then going to a car-park to discuss the latest pointless widget.

There is nothing like mullaring a bike up a climb by whatever means, coughing up blood at the top and wondering what day of the week it is. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Pro Pedal – Anyone flick it on at the start of a ride and leave it there?’ is closed to new replies.