Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Pro 2 – sticky freehub – service time ?
  • iainc

Haven't used this for a couple of months due injury , but I have noticed that the freehub is sticking when backpedalling (in workstand, as I am still off the bike). It frees up if I rotate forwards, but after say 10 mins left stationary, it's sticky again – I am guessing it is strip and service time ? (I haven't had Hope hubs before, more used to shimano, this one has seen about a year of light/moderate use)

mk1fan
    Free Member

The free hub is very easy to service. Could be the pawl springs are gummed up by the thick factory grease.

whytetrash

Yep just regrease the pawl springs easy job!

coatesy
    Free Member

Could also be the bearings starting to sieze, not unheard of with Pro 2.

boxelder

The bearing in the freehub (outer) is usually the first to go (in fact IIRC it's a pair together)

twang
    Free Member

Also worth checking your jockey wheels, if sticking can cause back pedalling sloppy chain syndrome

RicB

Just pull the freehub off with the cassette still attached. 20 sec job to see what's seized and what isn't. Unless you axle is seized onto the bearing races, in which case it'll take a bit of a heave to shift it.

fwiw I bet it'll sort itself out after a few miles of riding. Ask a mate to take it for a spin before stripping it down.

There are 3 bearings in the freehub and in my experience it's the outer one that goes first. Pop the seals off the bearing, soak it in white spirit for a few days and repack with grease. Should be good as new 🙂

iainc

thanks all – was the freehub bearing a bit gummed up – cleaned out and regreased and all ok 😛

cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Pro 2 – sticky freehub – service time ?’ is closed to new replies.