Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Pro 2 innards in an XC hub, will I die…?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Just discovered that a rear hub I thought was a Pro2 is actually an old XC. Always had problems with the axel on it so was going to swap it for a spare pro 2 axel. If I change the bearings and free hub for a pro 2 would it all fit? Suspect not as I think bearings might be different sizes, but would be good to have confirmation.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It’ll be a matter of matching the OD of the bearing with the hub shell and the ID of the bearing with the axle. Whether you can get bearings with this combination of dimensions I don’t know. It could be more of a pain in the arse than getting the right equipment.

RustyMac

Nope it does not fit. The bearings in the hub body are a different OD, i really don’t know about the freehub compatability either.

Try UKbikestore for a new axle (i got one for a bulb hub axle from them earlier in the year) if it is that or have a look on ebay for bearings

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks chaps. I suspected it was a bad idea.

The main issue I have with it is with an XTR QR. The skewer just seems too thick for the axel, I have to give it a proper bashing with a mallet to get it out. Thought the axel might be bent but an old WTB skewer goes in fine. The XTR ones seem (and looks) that bit thicker. The XTR skewer works fine in my Pro2 hub.

Anyone experienced this?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Pro 2 innards in an XC hub, will I die…?’ is closed to new replies.