Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Pro 2 eating bearings- (Best method for posting wheels)
  • Goldigger
    Free Member

I’ve got a nearly 1.5 year old rear wheel that has knackered 3 sets of axle bearings in this short period.
    Can only imagine hub tolerance is out where the bearings press inside, or wheel is out of dish.
    Failing that I do notice that my rear wheel sits to the left slightly in the Orange 5 swingarm 2014 650b.

I’ve emailed hope who said to send it in, what’s the best and cost effective way to send wheels back to hope?

Anyone had the same problem?

Del

a mate had it. probably the ID is a little small as you think. don’t see how the dish can have any measurable affect on bearing wear. all 5s are like that BTW. 🙂

Goldigger
    Free Member

Just thought maybe if the dish was out the bearings might be getting some side load rather than square on…

Anyone know why all 5’s are like that?

nemesis
    Free Member

I would have thought it more likely that the bearings aren’t being fitted in a way that avoids side loading them, particularly when drifting them in

Goldigger
    Free Member

Nope its not that…all fitted properly

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Some had mis-manufactured axles from new, which caused accelerated wear on the bearings.

br
    Free Member

+1 poorly fitted

Had this myself, and just took more care next time.

Have you the proper Hope drift tools?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Hope check their tolerances very carefully but I guess it’s possible the odd one could slip through with a to the top end of tolerance hub, bearing and axle to make the problem show up.

Rorschach
    Free Member

They measure every axle for tolerance and a hub shell from every batch machined.Not impossible though.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Watch the video of the new pro4 hub for how carefully hope quality check their hubs. My guesses are that cheap bearings with poor seals are being used or they are being installed badly causing damage that leads to premature failure.

granny_ring

Hermes for posting, check dimensions of box tho.
    Think I sent a 26er ok but a 29er was too large.

zero-cool
    Free Member

If my previous experience of Hope customer experience is anything to go by there’s a chance you could end up with a set of Pro 4s (we have previously been given upgrades in the past with things). Fingers crossed.

They are pretty special in this day and age of companies that sell you something and then don’t give a shit when there’s a problem. We’re Hope wheel users for life in this household as they rarely go wrong and when they do they sort it out better than anyone else.

Tom KP

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Pro 2 eating bearings- (Best method for posting wheels)’ is closed to new replies.