Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Prizm lenses – Trail, road or both?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Am pondering a pair to replace my venerable Pro M Frames which have been excellent. In those, I oscillate between VR28, Persimmon and them a range of silly Iridium colours for sunshine.

So, what lenses for a pair of custom RADAR EVs?

I ride Road and mtb in about equal measure so is one of each a needless extravagance? (Will probably get Clear either way, for really bad conditions)

Any experienced users able to share experiences of both lenses?

(I’m thinking Retina Burn frames, BTW!)

somafunk

I bought the prizm trail that was highlighted in a stw thread psa last week, thread here.

Compared to my Endura glasses (which i’ve been perfectly happy enough with as i didn’t know any different) the prizm trail lens offers so much more clarity and definition when riding, the colours seem brighter yet the shadows seem more defined? – i dunno what’s going on but if Oakley start genetically designing eyes i’ll be first in the queue shouting witchcraft!……take my money.

Not tried the road lens though, if that ever comes up on offer i may buy it but i use the trail lens on the road and it seems to be perfectly fine for my needs – everyday is a Mediterranean wonderland with the prizm trail lens.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’ve had my road prism lenses since the spring. I use them for both road and off road use and have been really impressed with them. It’s like taking acid the first time you put them on, suddenly the world looks that much clearer! The only thing I have noticed though is that when the light is less bright it gives the impression you are riding at dusk. It has happened to me a couple of times that I’ve been out riding thinking the sun was about to go down and worrying if I had enough time to get home before it got dark only to take off the glasses and realise it’s still very light.

Houns

Ive not tried trail yet, but have the road and I wasn’t overly wow’d by them. Have heard more comments about how great the trails are though

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve been wearing persimmon/dark light sensitive glasses for years (the Specialized version and the Oakley transitions) as they cope both with forest and open riding. How do these Prizm lenses compare – Coping with both really bright and pretty dark conditions is a tough call for a fixed tint lens

Are these better?

The-Beard

I had a similar dilemma and in the end chose the trail lens. Went and had a look at them on a wet day in Edinburgh and the trail lens seemed more suited to year round conditions in the UK. Ended up supplementing it with a polarized red lens for bright days and clear for night etc, etc.

Have to say the trail lens is superb but in a sort of stealth way. Initial impressions were a bit meh, it’s similar to persimmon. But it does just work really, really well. I use it a lot on and off road. Running and riding. Awesome lenses.

Tracey

Kevin has the Trails and really rates them off road compaired to all his other lenses. Cant comment on using them on the road. I had a go with them in Finale and they were very good

DT78
    Free Member

I have both, before used transitions jawbones for majority of off-road and green iridium radar XL for road. (With yellow/clear for night / bad weather)

I wouldn’t say prizms are anything particularly special, they are nice but not some sort of sight improving miracle, closest I’d say is like my old persmimmon lens. Off road ones are lighter, so I’d reckon in direct sunlight on the road you might find it a bit bright (depends on your eyes, I’m blue and need a dark shade).

Overall IMO trail prizm is better than the transitions, road I think on par with my iridiums.

Also, jawbreakers still come into my vision, despite the claims, the radar XL is better…..the retina burn colour is however awesome 🙂

variflex
    Free Member

I have both. trail ones are a revelation off road and well worth it. road are marginal and IMO not worth splashing out if you already have something for the road you are happy with. but if u have cash to burn or an itch to scratch go for both 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thanks, all.

Looks dangerously like a concensus here! Trail are worth it, road less so. Hmmm, think it might be a Trail, a clear and then a look at the other options for road. Would love something like my VR28.

But first, breakfast by the pool. 8)

Houns

Bluenty for the glasses (can’t do lenses on their own)

Ten-eighty for the lenses or custom build. Tell them I sent you

Houns

Actually as you’re probably in the states then ignore me

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thanks, Houns. As spotted, I’m in the US and the local Oakley store is doing good deals on custom build arrays. Makes the multiple lens choice a little less extravagant!

atlaz
    Free Member

I found the road ones pretty good with changing contrasts. They’re decent offroad too but not tried the proper offroad ones

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Prizm road lens (the red ones) are great for off road as well.

Disappointed with the glasses in the respect as soon as your start sweating a lot it runs down the inside of the lenses, useless for hard training rides and racing. Never had this issue with other Oakley glasses.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Prizm lenses – Trail, road or both?’ is closed to new replies.