Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Privateer magazine, and it's dark side equivalent: Rouleur magazine
  • Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Popped into Mud Dock yesterday quickly and noticed these two magazines for sale on the counter.

I noticed the quality and a quick flick through looked like some great articles.

However I had a little cough at the price (that said, £5 for the 1l water bottle I needed was a bit stiff too, but hey ho, the LBS needs to live) – £9 and £10 respectively for the magazines – I really fancied them but couldn’t bring myself to spend £19 on magazines!

Question is, are they worth it – I still fancy popping back to grab them – anyone else get them?

Also, anyone had their Singltrack subscriber hard copy yet? I subscribed last month and haven’t had this months yet…

rewski
    Free Member

Can only speak for privateer, yes it’s very good, I now buy through iTunes which works out cheaper.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Only you can answer if they’re worth it.

I’ve been buying Rouleur for years and re-read each issue a few times, so for me its worth it.

However I tested the first few issues of Privateer and didn’t really get it as I felt the the format didn’t transfer to the off road world.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Cheers chaps. Just subscribed to Privateer using a code (L001A) I found searching on here – 3 issues for £9 – which should do the job to get a taster.

I’m tempted by Rouleur, mainly as I love quality, but would like to try it a bit cheaper first! 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

Rouleur is great. Can’t quite bring myself to get into Privateer in the same way though. I like it but I don’t buy it regularly.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I still prefer The Ride over Privateeer.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Eh? Double post… 😳

Garry_Lager

Depends if magazines still make sense to you as a format. They don’t for me, so ten quid seems an otherworldy figure to lay out. But if you’re regularly buying magazines for a fiver, say, then rouleur costing a tenner doesn’t seem out of line if it’s the best cycling mag out there as people say.

maccruiskeen

Both seem expensive but they is much more content than other magazines. Both are very light on adverts and they don’t have pages and pages or product reviews and pictures / press releases of products not being reviewed, and little ‘news’ items and so on.

So they have much more actual reading in them, although its a big wedge I reckon page for page of actual proper content (rather than product fluff) its probably cheaper than other mags. Both are quite backward looking – for me that works better in Rouleur than Privateer- MTB just doesn’t have as much history to plunder

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Privateer magazine, and it's dark side equivalent: Rouleur magazine’ is closed to new replies.