Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Privateer Magazine
  • wors

Has it got any better? I bought the first one and thought it was okay.

wwaswas

I think, overall, it’s improved with each edition.

messiah
    Free Member

My wife bought me one from Bothy Bikes in Aviemore last week and I really enjoyed it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rewski
    Free Member

Got issue two for my b’day, I enjoyed it, lovely photography, interesting articles, would deffo try next issue, £9 is a lot though.

wwaswas

It’s worth the £9 just for the smell when you open it 🙂

Raymond

What did it smell of that was worth £9?!

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I’ll be honest I have not seen one but £9 for a magazine is a real put off to me.

I hopefully will get to see one and can judge if it’s worth it – anyone want to lend me a copy??

rocketman
    Free Member

£9 😯

I would expect it to be delivered by a naked Sienna Miller in a jewel-encrusted Maybach with a lifetime supply of swan pate

LeeW

Isn’t it quarterly or bimonthly though? It works out cheaper than MBR, WMB etc over the year.

cupra
    Free Member

I subscribed from issue one and think they have got better each time. To me it’s better value than £4.25 for stw. As has been said the new print smell is ace, even my wife likes it. 6 issues a year.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Isn’t it quarterly or bimonthly though? It works out cheaper than MBR, WMB etc over the year

but you get less copies

messiah
    Free Member

When you feel the quality and see the lack of adverts and filler the £9 cost is forgotten about.

More of a coffee table book than a magazine.

rewski
    Free Member

I don’t have a coffee table though

LeeW

but you get less copies

And that’s a bad thing?

cupra
    Free Member

And that’s a bad thing?

Oh yes!

nedrapier

Or you could pay nothing and get no copies at all, making it infinitely better, and free!

wors

well just ordered issue 2, we’ll see how it goes.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

well I thought what the heck I’ll order a copy off the website and give it a go 😯

WTF £5 delivery charge!!

So £14 for a magazine now come on that is crazy.

Is it available in retailers anywhere??

wallop

Wiggle sell them, free delivery and extra discount for gold/platinum accounts. I have all issues of Privateer, I really like it.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

thanks wallop I’ll get one from there I just hope it doesn’t come in a mahoosive box 😉

wallop

Got one in a jiffy bag yesterday. Bit cheesed off though – the delivery note included haribo but they were nowhere to be seen.”royal mail – fuelled by haribo”.

zilog6128

Got one in a jiffy bag yesterday. Bit cheesed off though – the delivery note included haribo but they were nowhere to be seen.”royal mail – fuelled by haribo”.

hmmmm… I didn’t get any haribo with my last order either. Very disappointing!! especially after having got used to 2 bags with the orders during the TDF.

RealMan
    Free Member

There’s currently an offer on for all BC members to get a free privateer or rouleur issue..

valleydaddy
    Free Member

that true RealMan but you have to take out a sub to get it

nibby
    Free Member

They are not really doing themselves any favour’s by charging £5 for delivery are they. This would put most people off as it’s top end for a magazine anyway but to charge £5 delivery as well!! might as well reach for the bar of soap, close my eyes and hope for the best!! 😕

monkeyboyjc

less copies a year & double the price of all the other mags but its 10x the quality content, i actually read every artical in it from front to back where as all of the other mags are 1/2 filled with irrelevant (to me) drivel.

subscribed from issue 1

jedi

i like it (esp the one i’m in 😉 )

my mum and dad think its a beautiful off road mag

Mike_D
    Free Member

Buying it direct is the most expensive way to do it 🙂 Wiggle have it on free p&p, or there’s a list of Real Shops at http://www.privateer.cc/stockists.html

I just got a copy of The Ride Journal from Wiggle which included Haribo. Much to my disappointment, as Haribo’s grim :/

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Self indulgent bullshit for sale. Only £9 a copy.
    Would you buy it from me?

No, didn’t think so.

monkeyboyjc

i dont get why every one is hung up on the price – it comes out once every two months and is much more than double the quality of all of the other mags put together.

dont knock it till you try/buy it.

flatfish
    Free Member

I’m struggling on the £9 price tag too when the articles are written by the same journo’s that write in Singletrack, WMB, MBR, etc.
    Same photographers too.
    Just a mag with no adverts.

I just dont get it. ❓

cupra
    Free Member

If you don’t ‘get it’ for don’t want to pay £9 for it then it’s probably not the mag for you. For those of us that do and want to, it is. Simples. Live and let live and all that. Also, it’s only a magazine.

flatfish
    Free Member

it’s only a magazine

That’s the bit I don’t get £9 for a mag!

colournoise

Ordered one from Wiggle off the back of this thread.

Yeah, 9 quid is a fair amount for a magazine but looking at production values (both visuals and materials), relative lack of advertising and quality of the bits I’ve read so far I reckon it’s not bad value for something that’s effectively an episodic softback book about MTB.

slainte 🙂 rob

Oxboy
    Free Member

Issue 1 on ebay for £33.25 delivered!!! 😯

Oxboy
    Free Member

Issue 2 on ebay £10 delivered

flatfish
    Free Member

Was in one of my local store’s that stock Privateer so I succumbed and bought a copy to see what the fuss was all about.

Dissapointed.

Wishy washy guff about how good riding is, isn’t, might be. All in one article contradicting comment’s from the same writer.
    I’ve yet to finish my copy, but on what i’ve seen so far it won’t be on my subs list when my mam asks what I want for christmas.

Duffer
    Free Member

Time for a good old thread ressurection, i think!

What’s the consensus on Privateer, then? I let my MBR subscription lapse some time ago, but now i fancy some new material to read. I always enjoyed MBR (much more so than MBUK or WMB), but i fancy trying something new.

I immagine it compares well to a magazine like STW – being twice the price, does it offer twice the content/quality?

wwaswas

It’s different to stw. Certainly the actual product is physically nicer – i’d pay just for the smell of the pages when you first open it.

Buy one and see what you think? They were doing a first issue for free cancel if not delighted thing for a while.

TiRed

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten. I have enjoyed every edition. Plus they kindly sent me two extra editions when I moved house and hadn’t updated my details with them 😳

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Privateer Magazine’ is closed to new replies.