Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Private to Co. Car to Private – What happens with NCD?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I curerntly have a private car, but I am thinking of moving to the company scheme which has insurance with it.

Currently I have 10 years NCD. If I take the company car (for 3 years) will I then have 13 years NCD if I decide to go back to private owenership or will it be 10 as now, or will I loose it all and have to start again?

Ta

weeksy

i’d expect you’ll have 0.

Usually 2 years between insurance gaps.

I’d ask my HR department though.

druidh
    Free Member

Your leasing company should be able to provide a “no claims” letter when you transfer back to private. IME, most car insurance companies were happy with that as equivalent for working out NCD.

One thing to watch out for is what policy your leasing company/employer has regarding repairs. You’ll likely find that they’ll insist on a professional repair for something you would be quite happy to pay for out of your own pocket in order to protect your NCD.

glupton1976
    Free Member

If you then go and get your insurance through a broker, they will give you a discretionary no claims discount equivalent to what you would have had.

RustyMac

What druidh said. The company car insurer should be able to issue a letter to say that you had no claims on their insurance from period x-y but you will need to get a letter from your current insurer to detail you no claims to date x.

I don’t think you can protect your current NCD this way though i’ll happily be proved wrong on that one.

jota180
    Free Member

If you then go and get your insurance through a broker, they will give you a discretionary no claims discount equivalent to what you would have had.

After 20 years as a co car driver, the best I could get from any of them was 3 years NCD, even with documents from the company insurance verifying my accident free time with them.

druidh
    Free Member

Whereas I managed to get a full NCD with letters from my two previous employers…

maccruiskeen

Its a greyer area than it used to be (in a good way)

For instance you now get NCD mirroring from some insurers – I’ve two vehicles so one policy mirrors the discount on the other (otherwise I’d need to earn a second NCD leaving me with 20 years NCD on one vehicle and zero on the other ).

My mum’s recently been widowed – she was a named driver on a joint policy for decades so initially it looked like she’s get hit with a zero years NCD on her own policy but in the end the policy I found for her one that counted her named-driver history as NCD.

So nothings quite as black and white as it was

jfletch
    Free Member

For simplicity’s sake its probably better all round if you just crash the company car. You’ll get your money’s worth then!

geordiemick00
    Free Member

you won’t get 13 years NCD unless the policy is in your name. After two years of not using your NCD they’ll remove it. Some ‘schemes’ offer a company car discount but that isn’t industry recognised and without boring you of how insurance schemes work it would only apply to the broker running that scheme, so unless you insure it ‘on the market’ you would lose it.

i’m in a company car now and I learned the hard way and I’m now insuring a reg plate for £58 a year.

Go to a scrap yard, find a £50 banger with a reg plate, insure it TPFT and pay the premium annually.

With a bit of luck the investigations the OFT are making on the insurance industry will make it illegal for them to basically rip you off because you haven’t had an insurance policy even though you may have driven safely in that period.

db

I have a company car and when I bought a van the broker gave me a 7yr NCB discount on the basis of my company writing a letter saying a was accident free for that time?

Guess it just varies but insuring a plate seems a bit of a faff to me

db

sandwicheater

What druidh said.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Can I clarify something, if the broker ‘gives you’ 7 years NCD discount, he is only giving you a discount, when your years driving is up you will only have 1 years NCD. You will then have to tout yourself back to that broker who will then probably not give you anything more than 1 years NCD. You can’t cherry pick the insurance market otherwise everyone out there would be getting false letters from their employers claiming a perfect driving history.

Their imaginary NCD’s are worthless to most of the insurance market. It’s not different to when car manufacturers offer ‘VAT free’ deals, they are only offering a discount equivalent to VAT and in this case a broker who block buys policies from a scheme is hedging his bets that you won’t claim from that scheme’s fund. They calculate risk in an entirely different way to ‘normal’ insurance companies who would use your NCD.

Therefore, the OP needs to do everything they can to keep that NCD because it’s useful to the whole market, not just a handful of scheme brokers, Adrain Flux being the biggest in the country.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Private to Co. Car to Private – What happens with NCD?’ is closed to new replies.