Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,063 total)
  • Private ownership of firearms
  • mogrim

Kenny – the only reason for holding a gun that is not a tool is to fufuill violent fantasises. there is no other reason. People will attempt to justify its all about sport but its actually all about killing and blood lust.

There’s not a great deal of blood lust in target shooting. Do you feel the same way about fencing and archery?

nickf
    Free Member

Kenny – the only reason for holding a gun that is not a tool is to fufuill violent fantasises. there is no other reason. People will attempt to justify its all about sport but its actually all about killing and blood lust.

And yet again you’re holding out your opinion as fact. I repeat, I haven’t killed anything with my air-rifles, nor do I intend to. Same with shotguns. No blood lust, no Rambo fantasies.

Or do you know something about me that even I don’t know?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

People will attempt to justify its all about sport but its actually all about killing and blood lust.

There are many disciplines in shooting just like cycling. You can’t compare a bi-athlete intentions to one of a big game hunter like you can’t compare a bmxer to a tourer.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

This is not a troll. Its the unpalatable truth. Gun ownership is all about killing things.

willard

cynic-al – Member
    How about guns/ammo used for sport/leisure are held at Police stations, released only when justified (competition, shoot etc), with penalties for late return? Or something like that?

Please… No. After seeing in the news about dodgy coppers (I think it was in Durham, not sure though) selling on seized weapons instead of destroying them a while ago, and now the stuff stolen from police stations, I’d rather have mine at home. Plus, do you really think that they will allow reasonable access to said pieces of property when the owner wants to get to them for, say, pigeon shooting or flighting on an estuary early in the morning? What about rabbiting at night?

In the past when something as unfortunate and tragic as this has happened, the existing laws have been judged enough. Yes, there might be scope for improvement in assessment/identification of holders with depression, but the vast majority of certificate holders are sensible, reasonable people. As has been said before, most shootings happen with illegal firearms, things like this tend to make the news more though.

Restricting/banning pistols had zero effect on their use in crime and murder, and banning privately held firearms full stop will not prevent deaths either.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

TJ – I already pointed out to you that the last two ‘massacres’ were committed by Taxi Drivers

Plus all the other crimes they commit:

http://byfleet.surreyherald.co.uk/2011/07/taxi-driver-convicted-of-west.html
    http://london-taxi.co.uk/three-years-for-addison-lee-driver-convicted-of-manslaughter/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-16300843
    http://www.leylandguardian.co.uk/news/local/sex_assault_cab_driver_was_a_killer_1_3861774

Latest Stats:

580k Shotgun Certificates
    142k Firearms Certificates
    You can assume a fairly high level of holders having both

78K Licences Taxis’s
    155k Licened Private Hire Vehicles
    With a total of 299k Licenced Taxi Drivers

So – fairly similar numbers in the grand scheme of things, yet which group is disproportionally represented in crime and Murder? yep, you got it!

Clearly the solution to this wave of needless slaughter is that we should ban Taxi Drivers

BikePawl
    Free Member

So is owning a fishing rod

edlong
    Free Member

TJ. I used to shoot. Target shooting. Little pieces of paper. And I’ve done some clay pigeons too.

Hunted “live” prey once (rabbits). Didn’t enjoy it.

Did enjoy shooting though.

I don’t seem to fit your neat unifying theory. Perhaps that’s cos it’s complete b******s?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Gun ownership is all about killing things in my opinion.

FTFY, TJ. Unless, of course, you have some FACTS to back up your assertion. (Rhetorical question, BTW, as you don’t)

derek_starship
    Free Member

Of course one could argue that a B&Q store is a veritable armoury; axes, sledgehammers, circular saws etc..if somebody flipped with such a tool then the outcome would be far better than if that person had access to a firearm. You can run away from or tackle an assailant brandishing a petrol strimmer. This is not so easy if said assailant has a semi auto .22 rimfire rifle and a couple of full mag’s.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Did you have a relaxing Christmas TJ? 🙄

seosamh77
    Free Member

edlong – Member
    seosamh77 – don’t suppose you’ve got any analysis of how many of those were caused by legally / illegally held guns have you?

nah just did a quick google for some numbers out of curiosity. ment to post the link, not a great deal more info

http://www.gun-control-network.org/GF07.htm

teasel
    Free Member

Nope. Folk can kill others regardless of whether or not they own a firearm.

Ban hands…!

thegreatape
    Free Member

TJ

Not looking for an argument with you here, but do you feel the same way about archery?

Should my daughter give it up?

If not, what’s the difference, apart from a few hundred years?

cynic-al
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

What about sport? Clays, targets?

edlong
    Free Member

Derek – and how are you at outrunning Ford Mondeos?

SD-253
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    I’m close to TJ on this one.

How about guns/ammo used for sport/leisure are held at Police stations, released only when justified (competition, shoot etc), with penalties for late return? Or something like that?

I too see no need for them to be held at home.
    1/ So nutter goes to police station and collects his legaly held shotgun and goes home and blows his wifes head off?
    2/ The game keeper who maybe using a shotgun everyday has to go to the police station everyday?
    3/ The majority of rural police staion are unmanned for a large parts of the day with no set maning times. This obviously assumes there is one near you.
    4/ How could you the return the shotgun if you are shooting in Scotland and live in Cornwall?
    5/ IF you don’t have car how would you actually collect you gun when the station is 8 miles away?
    6/ The police have nothing better to do than act as the amourer for 100s of people per police station?
    7/ Arghh the fox is attacking my hens????I know I will nip down the police station and fetch my shootgun?
    8/ If you don’t “shoot” yourself why should anyone else be allowed to….opps thats your belief cynic-al

I often find that people like cynic-al suffer from something called envy, you should take into account that not everyone is rich who shoots.

simon_g

all clearly unfit to hold

Obviously not, if they were issued FACs in the first place. “Acting out my violent fantasies” probably isn’t on the form. You have always needed a good reason to own a firearm, and self-defence hasn’t been one for 65 years.

How many of these awful occasions where someone murders their families do you really think would be *prevented* were there no private ownership of firearms? Or would they find other means? There are over 600 murders a year, only 40ish a year are gun-related, incredibly few of those involve legally held firearms.

As for sporting use not being valid? You might flip out at the number of armed Olympians coming over this year to compete. I still think it’s a disgrace that a country like ours can be considered suitable to host the Olympics when it legislates against it’s own citizens practising for an Olympic event.

seosamh77
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    This is not a troll. Its the unpalatable truth. Gun ownership is all about killing things.

Are you vegetarian or something? it’s a fact of life somethings need killed.

Also I’ve been clay pidgeon shooting before, can’t say it really ignited any bloodlust in me.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have heard some laugfhable stuff on here before from the fantasists but this is ridiculous Guns are for killing – that is their only usage.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Don’t forgot cordless drills too!
    I bet half you sick bastards have pretend at least once that it was a gun.

edlong
    Free Member

TJ that is patently not true, as copious examples above demonstrate!!

And on your logic, as well as archery, I think this year’s olympics will need to be free from Javelin events too

emsz
    Free Member

What if a farmer has violent fantasies? and kills someone?

That would mean that ALL farmers are dangerous under your logic TJ

binners

I used to do loads of shooting TJ. From the age of 13 onwards. Semi-automatic assault rifles and everything. To my knowledge I’ve never killed anyone

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

thegreatape – Member

TJ

Not looking for an argument with you here, but do you feel the same way about archery?

No – two reasons – people don’t go out killing animals with longbows so you don’t get the blood-lust loons using bows and its much harder to kill multiple people with a longbow although I am sure it would be possible

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And on your logic, as well as archery, I think this year’s olympics will need to be free from Javelin events too

And the shot putt. Originally based on cannon balls, therefore it’s all about blood lust. Violent fantasists, shot putters. The lot of them.

edlong
    Free Member

Come to think of it, wasn’t the precursor to the internet a military network? Better ban that, it’s designed for killing….

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I have heard some laugfhable stuff on here before from the fantasists but this is ridiculous Guns are for killing – that is their only usage.

Not true, but as for killing they are an effective way of getting rid of vermin.

aracer
    Free Member

For someone who works in the field of mental health, you really know **** all about the issue, don’t you TJ

Despite copiuos other evidence to the contrary, I do sometimes wonder whether TJ is proof that mental illness is contagious.

Is this officially a TJ thread?

lazybike
    Free Member

People will attempt to justify its all about sport but its actually all about killing and blood lust.

TJ, come shoot some skeet or sporting targets with me, seriously, theres no blood, nothing dies, if you don’t like it fair enough, you can buy the teas

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

edlong – Member

TJ that is patently not true, as copious examples above demonstrate!!

Really? what other USE does a gun have?

BikePawl
    Free Member

Don’t forget discus and the hammer as we’re banning all these deadly events

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

BTW – rumour control has it that his licenced ‘firearms’ as opposed to ‘shotguns’ were FAC air weapons (ie, more than 12ft lbs ME – by way of comparison a deer rifle puts out at least 1750 ft lbs muzzle energy)

So, that sort of **** the “armoury of lethal weapons” argument up 😉

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’d put target shooting in the same bracket as darts, bowls, snooker etc it’s just a skill based activity that has absolutely nothing to do with killing for the vast majority of those involved. I think saying it is to do with blood lust is really miles wide of the mark.

derek_starship
    Free Member

A shooter with a .22 rimfire in semi auto configuration can deliver 10 bullets, each expending 100+ ft lbs of energy, into a small target within 5 seconds. Some guys at the club I attended bought “banana” magazines. Think AK47 shaped mag’s. These can hold 30 rounds which would be blazed off in seconds by the so called responsible, sporting target shooter…

teasel
    Free Member

Target shooting, TJ. Only the death of a nicely drawn handful of circles in that instance…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I tried clay pigeon shooting once and I’ve got to say it was a lot of fun. Clearly I should be locked up before I fulfil my latent fantasy and kill someone.

simon_g

people don’t go out killing animals with longbows so you don’t get the blood-lust loons using bows

orly?

http://www.bowhunting.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bow+hunting

ransos
    Free Member

Nope. Folk can kill others regardless of whether or not they own a firearm.

Obviously that’s true, but guns make it a whole lot easier, no?

Can any of the “pro gun” posters here think of any practical measures that might stop this sort of incident happening in the future?

MrsToast
    Free Member

Pffft, guns for sport, that’s what Time Crisis and Laser Quest are for! 😛

I have no interest in guns, but I do want to take up archery. Mainly to fulfil my childhood fantasy of being a bit like an elf, but the less said about that, the better.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,063 total)

The topic ‘Private ownership of firearms’ is closed to new replies.