Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 160 total)
  • Private Health care do you have it ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Having one of my mental days about health and thinking should I get Health cover for myself/wife it would be a big cost per month but surly a small price to pay should it be needed.

Whilst I have faith in the NHS to a certain degree wouldn’t it be nice if it was needed to get treatment for something serious ASAP rather than wait !?!? Again Im having an anxiety day…

Ultimately all the private health care in the world isn’t going to change one thing…we all die anyway.

What do think about private health care ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Worth it if you get the right package for you, I had physio in 20 minutes.
    The ex had ACL surgery when she needed it and it was convenient, couple of arthroscopies much faster than NHS etc.
    It’s more of a short cut and a plan B option to the NHS.

nickjb
    Free Member

Wife went private for her mri scan. We don’t have any cover. Just paid a one off fee to effectively jump the queue for the scan then back to the NHS for the rest of the treatment.

weeksy

Yes. Apart from the ‘excess’ or Admin fee, it’s very useful.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have it …. would i have it if the company didnt provide it — not likely.

do i think the company provides it for any other reason than to benifit them – no .

Have i benifited from it – yes.

but i do pay the extra to put the mrs on it.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

I have it, mainly as I got it at my last company and chose to continue the payments when I left. I personally feel that with cycling its almost a necessity. You dont know how bad your next crash could be. A mate broke his neck and the NHS didnt even managed to diagnose it, private saw him diagnosed and operated on in two days and he lived like a king in recovery.

If you are unsure there are some that offer a half and half option where if your NHS appointment will be more than say 6 weeks away, then you can use the private option. If the NHS can fulfill your need inside that time then you stick with them. A nice, cheaper, halfway house if you dont want to go the whole hog.

moshimonster
    Free Member

We have private cover for the family. NHS waiting lists can be very long from what I’ve seen. Fingers crossed, not had to actually make use of it yet, but nice to have peace of mind.

footflaps

Only through work, wouldn’t spend my own money on it. Never used it in 20 odd years of being covered.

allthepies
    Free Member

Through my employer.

Been very useful over the years and worth the (small) amount I effectively pay for it via reduced tax code.

ourmaninthenorth

Yes, have cover as an employment benefit.

I tend to subscribe to the concept that the NHS is the best place for urgent and major care, and just cherry pick private for anything more routine.

I tend not to believe that private = better. It’s the same people treating you after all….

hot_fiat

Have had it since I started working for various Americans back in 2001. Not used it, but those that have seem pleased. Dell generously added the rest of my family on for nowt last year. Some company policies won’t pay for “investigative” work which is odd seeing as half the waiting time in the NHS can be for a referral appointment.

Dunno how true this is, but friends in the know suggest using NHS for emergencies and paying for private treatment in NHS hospitals for surgery as the out of hours cover in private hospitals can be the local ambulance service.

jota180
    Free Member

I’ve had it for 20+ years with work and my wife has used it a bit, I haven’t.
    Hard to tell how much waiting time was saved TBH.

One concern we had was an operation she had in a Nuffield hospital that had complications, in the end they decided to call an ambulance to take her to the local general as they were worried they may need an ICU.
    As it turned out they didn’t but it was a big concern.

Not sure I’d willingly pay for private health ins TBH – not yet anyway.

Lester
    Free Member

I have it, have had it for a long time, it now has my son and me on it.
    im probably paying too much, but its now like the lottery ticket in reverse, if I don’t do it I might lose out.
    im pretty sure that if cancelled it then god forbid my son might need to use it.
    I reckon ive spent about £80,000 on it 25 years,
    the claims ive had over that time

L4 back surgery
    3 ACL arthuroscopy
    Hernia
    and most recently a frozen shoulder procedure.

so I have paid a lot more than i`ve used, but what would I have to show for that money now? for me it was worth the cost.
    I will probably stop paying when I retire in 8 years and put my faith in the nhs

klunky
    Free Member

Interesting….
    I’m thinking about this at the moment. I currently get free BUPA care at work but that’s about to change (was free for 12 months)It will now cost me £14 a month which is not massive amount.
    Is this a good price? Never really looked into it before.

hot_fiat

Is that £14 per month before tax?

jam-bo

My taxable benefit is ~£400/yr so £14 a month sound cheap.

senorj

I have it through work. Used it four times in 10 years.
    When I had a problem it was fixed quickly.
    I now pay extra to cover my family. ~£300 per year.

footflaps

Is this a good price? Never really looked into it before.

Very low. If you were buying it as an individual it would probably cost 10x more.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I would not personally have it not because it is bad but because I believe in universal healthcare. Bit of a split in my family my grandparents have and use it a lot. My mother gets a family cover as part of her package at work but refused to sign up to it.

simon_g

Yes, through work. We pay the extra to have my wife on it too. I think the NHS is great for a lot of stuff, particularly life-threatening things, but lower priorities can take ages. You may get injured and be OK to do the basics and get to work but not ride – I’d be wanting to get it fixed ASAP and that’s what private is great for.

Only benefit so far for me was £250 cashback off my new bike via Evans. Need to find out how long I have to wait before doing that again!

hooli

I have BUPA through work, used it 2 or 3 times in 12 years. It is certainly quicker for physio or something non essential but I am not sure I would have it if it wasn’t paid by work.

allthegear
    Free Member

Had it as a benefit for 13 years in my last job. The one time I actually needed to go into hospital for something major, I wasn’t covered. Was a bit miffed.

Rachel

olddog

No – but mainly because I’m not sure of the value as a private individual. Perhaps healthcare around here is better than elsewhere. Physio I am able to get through my GP for example.

In terms of elective surgery – I looked at the private option for a procedure, but tbh the saving of about 6 weeks versus a £3000 bill didn’t seem worth it for something that wasn’t causing me any major issues – and it was day surgery anyway. I also could’ve had the procedure done in the private hospital with the NHS paying (as I think everyone can chose to now) but didn’t as I don’t think tax money should be used to pay for private provision – different than individual paying directly or through insurance.

I also think – but happy to be corrected – that private doesn’t cover emergency/urgent or serious medical (ie cancer) treatment – which is where healthcare really counts for me.

flatfish
    Free Member

We’ve got it as a family.
    My GP told me I might have bowel cancer a few weeks ago. GP said it’d be at least a 6-8 week wait for an appointment with a consultant then further wait for a colonoscopy.
    Total panic panic from the wife.
    Call to bupa.
    Two consultants seen and colonoscopy dealt with within one week.

=worth it.

allthepies
    Free Member

If that’s just the reduction in your tax allowance then it will only actual cost you £400 * your marginal tax rate. So for a 20% tax payer £400 * 20% = £80.
    (approximately, I guess NI comes into play also but even so, the sums are small).

bigG
    Free Member

I have it for me, and the whole family, as part of my employment benefits package. On the two occasions I’ve used it it has been very good. Both were for knee surgery.

My ACL diagnosis, MRI, consultation, surgery and physio all happened in a couple of months. It would have taken me six months at the time for my first consultation with a NHS consultant. That delay would have led to a longer recovery time apparently.

All of the consultations, scan and surgery happened at times that suited me rather than the NHS so I was able to fit them in around work. Also, I got a cup of coffee, an apology and a copy of the Times to read when they were running five mins late to do my scan. I doubt very much that would have been my experience had I been going through the normal NHS process.

If I didn’t have it through my work would I pay for it? Probably.

olddog

flatfish – That’s me corrected re-cancer treatment diagnostics [edit]. But I’m pretty sure it is a two week max referral time for cancer diagnostics. I would raise a complaint with your local CCG.

footflaps

But I’m pretty sure it is a two week max referral time for cancer diagnostics.

MIL was seen within a week after finding a lump in her breast, treatment started within 2 weeks.

olddog

Mrs OD also seen in about a week, by NHS, for breast lump. Turned out to be a cyst (as expected by GP) which was drained at the same appointment

wrightyson
    Free Member

Standard life through work here. Only used once in anger, very efficient.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

So, for those of you who pay for it privately, (ie not with work) how much do you pay? The last time I looked, it was going to be best part of £2k/year for fairly* comprehensive cover. You could get it for about 1/2 that if you didn’t include a bunch of things like the big C.

I think I’m of the mind that like with any insurance, its all about the gamble. But the gamble is skewed in this instance as the NHS is on your side should your numbers not come up. Think I’m going to put the money in a account as the “medical fund” and payg if required.

*The usual no pre-existing conditions, no a&e etc.

bencooper
    Free Member

No – was offered it when I worked for a big company, refused to have it. That was a hassle with HR.

flatfish
    Free Member

Double post.

footflaps

especially if you’re concerned about riding injuries

Been MTBing since 1987 and mallet finger is the worst injury so far….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I pay for it (or at least the tax through work).

TBH I’m planning on canceling it, it’s £50 a month and it only covers what the NHS covers, but possibly quicker.

Whereas they also offer a ‘cash plan’ which pays for physio/consultants/dentist/opticians etc for £20, which seems far better VFM as it’s covering the holes in the NHS cover.

allthepies
    Free Member

Really ? Or is that your tax code adjustment ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Lucky you – broken wrist and elbow at the same time, both needed plating 3 surgeries in total – 3 weeks in trauma ward, 6 months physio – NHS were amazing.

+1, on the big stuff the NHS is brilliant (3 broken arms for me), it’s the minor niggly stuff it falls short on as their aim is to get you back to being functional rather than 100%, so if you go in at 95% with a niggling knee pain then you get nowhere as you’re still ‘OK’. Hence why I’m tempted by the cheaper health plan option.

Really ? Or is that your tax code adjustment ?

Just got the calculator out, it’s the tax adjustment, so I’m only paying the tax on that. Won’t be canceling it after all if it’s <£20 🙂

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yes, wife gets it through work & i’m on it.

We’ve both used it, she’s had a couple of operations. To us, it’s worth it.

The convenience of appointment times, the speed and going somewhere that’s not a dump for them is nice.

She would still be waiting to see (probably the same) consultant for a knee op that was done 6 months ago on her PMI.

If we didn’t have it through work, I think we would probably still pay for it.

olddog

Lots of knee surgery being done privately it seems – is that a cyclist/sportist thing, a private healthcare thing or a gap in NHS provision thing?

twinw4ll
    Free Member

No, we’re working class, never ill, if i ever get anything too dodgy there’s a train line 30mtrs away.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘Private Health care do you have it ?’ is closed to new replies.