Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Printing photo's, what programe for…
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Reducing the actual print size of a mugshot to make it 50mm x 50mm?

Need some for an Indian visa so we went to the post office & paid £7.00 for 4 (me & the Mrs) I think I chucked them out shortly after cos I’m buggered if I can find them & I don’t fancy shelling out another £14 if I can do them at home. I’ve managed to get the size right using IrfanView but the quality is crap! I’ve checked the printer by printing an un-edited one & It’s ok.

Any advice? (apart from ‘go to the post office again’)
    Ta.

piemonster

Try Gimp, you’ll be able to export to a .TIFF* too which might help. It’s the image ‘scaling’ you’ll want to reduce the size, you can specify lots of different types of measurements, pixels, millimetres, etc.

And it’s free, so if it doesn’t work it’s cost nowt.

There’s a whole bunch of export options in Gimp. But you need to ‘export’ and not ‘save’ as it defaults saving to its native .XCF file format. Although you can print direct from Gimp, but the .XCF probably won’t be compatible with many other programs.

LINKY

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Cheers Pie, I’ll give that a go. Just looked at the actual image I saved on IrfanView & It’s rubbish (the printer’s only going to print what it sees isn’t it?) what happens when you ‘simply’ resize a photo?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Greybeard
    Free Member

Use your original, full size image in IrfanView, and use the Custom settings in Print to set the size it prints at.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Printing photo's, what programe for…’ is closed to new replies.