Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Printing Money
  • GJP
    Free Member

What does it mean when they talk about quantitative easing and the Government printing money to get is out of this hell hole that we seem to be in/

Pretty sure whatever they print they aren’t going to give to me – so how will I benefit or will I just see the pound and my savings futher devalued as inflation then starts to rise.

Pretty sure stoner will be along to put me straight 😆

epicyclo

Buy as many ZImbabwean dollars as you can right now, they’ll soon be worth more than the pound if they do this. 😀

Maybe not, but it sounds suspiciously like what happened to the Weimar Republic and Zimbabwe but with a new improved marketing name.

It may be better to convert cash to assets.

Me, I’m shifting my money offshore right now.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If they print more money, then that means theres more of it so that makes it worth even less?

I cant wait to start taking wheel barrows full of notes to go and buy the shopping with.

colnagokid

I think (I hope)

I heard Alister Darling discounting it!
    It leads to hyper-inflation (I think) thers no more money in the country, just more “shares” of that money
    you end up like post war germany, zimbabwe or even worse Turkey!

vimto
    Free Member

yup increasing the money supply causes inflation.. which means the value of debt decreases, so if you borrow big then there is a benefit. if you are a saver then the opposite. it sounds like they are trying to pump more money into the banks to get them lending again

mboy
    Free Member

By printing more money, they’ll be driving inflation and devaluing assetts. Which will be great for some people, and crap for others.

What the government is doing now though, cutting interest rates, trying to promote even more spending (when no banks are loaning, and nobody has any spare cash except those that don’t want to spend it cos they’re sensible enough not to!) and generally crossing their fingers it will work, is even more stupid and is probably hurting more people and for far longer than a bout of hyperinflation ever would do!

The Zimbabwean economy is an example of hyper inflation gone to the extreme, but then it’s hardly a stable government so that’s the big issue there. Done right, a bout of hyperinflation can help big time (though some will of course lose out relatively), though of course going too far “the other way” is as bad if not worse than doing nothing.

Personally, I’m never going to be able to afford a house (even when I get a new job) on my own unless we go through a sustained period of high inlfation, so I of course am hoping that this happens. Besides, fair enough to those that invested in property wisely and have done well out of it, but those that believed it was a bubble that was never going to burst need their wake up call!

miketually
    Free Member

So I need to take out a big loan and buy shares in wheelbarrow manufacturers?

hora
    Free Member

Brown said on the news last night that printing money wasnt an option. He was in Liverpool with all his Cabinet meeting the common man.

Funnily A Regan quote was mentioned: the scariest thing you will ever hear ‘I am from the Government and I am here to help you’.

That is a class quote and used brilliantly on last nights news.

finbar
    Free Member

Personally, I’m never going to be able to afford a house (even when I get a new job) on my own unless we go through a sustained period of high inlfation, so I of course am hoping that this happens. Besides, fair enough to those that invested in property wisely and have done well out of it, but those that believed it was a bubble that was never going to burst need their wake up call!

How would high inflation help people to get on the housing ladder?

(i’m not being critical, i just can’t figure how this would work)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Printing Money’ is closed to new replies.