Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Printing a photo – size dilemma
  • iamanobody
    Free Member

I have a pic that is taken on my iphone that i would like to print 60 x 60cm

I am concerned that the resolution may not be up to that size. The details are as follows:
    file size – 1.4mb
    width 3918 px
    height 2939px
    72dpi
    jpg
    set on 12mp

what do you guys think??

juanghia
    Free Member

Depends on what you’re printing it on at 60cm height you’re going to get an effective 120ppi canvas for instance fine, art paper no chance.

It’s not going to be ideal but you could upscale it slightly and add a smidge of gaussian like in the good old days.

juanghia
    Free Member

dupoe

ampthill

Geek answer

So the file will is about 3,000 pixels across when square and your printing 24 inches wide so that is 125 dpi which isn’t alot. I’ve just had a couple of prints done from a 12MP dslr. They are 16 by 24 inches. That’s 166 dpi and its till quite good close up

But what actually matters is whether the resolution matches the content. If its a dreamy sunset no problem. If its 100 of your best mates your stuffed. Also being from a phone its the quality of those pixels that will really make or break it

Any chance of showing us the file? I think I could give some feed back. Or crop a bit out and get it printed at the same magnification for under a quid and see how you feel about it

iamanobody
    Free Member

great idea on the cropping front
    this is the link to the file – not sure if you can see it
    https://goo.gl/photos/GFcKCFgMuT9gcXdj6

ampthill

I’d give that a go. Its got that arty look. It’ll be slightly odd close up but I don’t think people will expect to see detail in it. Its got sense of light and scale and that’ll work well on the wall

TheDTs
    Free Member

Also consider the viewing distance, if its not going to be viewed close up it should be fine.
    Nice shot BTW.

CountZero

That’s a pretty grainy image from the start, which is what gives it its atmosphere, so I doubt there would be too much of a problem when viewing, and as has been said, from the distance it’ll mostly be viewed at, any pixelation will be lost in the grain.
    Photographers used to ‘push’ 400ASA mono film to 800, 1600 or even 3200ASA to achieve ‘grain like golfballs’, for exactly this sort of effect.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Printing a photo – size dilemma’ is closed to new replies.